Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #41
mehrkat

Default Re: Playing GURPS with the help of FoundryVTT

I noticed the stable build of FoundryVTT has hit the 0.8s. According to an earlier post the GURPS addon is for 0.7s. I'm still in the initial stages of learning Foundry so I'm assuming I should just avoid upgrading until I get the all clear and it will post in the GURPS board.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #42
mook

I believe from the Discord they are currently working to update for the Foundry 0.8.x series, should be released in the next day or two.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #43
RedMattis

Decided to try Foundry based on comments here. And now I wish had dived into Foundry instead of Fantasy Grounds.

Feels much more streamlined (and less janky) than FG. I'm really liking the various quality of life features for GURPS, such reusing the GCS layout and making fields into buttons.

I'm loving the ability to play background music for players.

The ability to have page-references link to GURPS Pdfs on my computer is also fantastic.

The only worrying thing was that the program became unresponsive (couldn't open sheets, music didn't play any noise) a few times, but it was always after loading/unloading modules, so probably something broke behind the scenes. A restart solved it anyway.

Haven't had the chance to try a proper game with it yet though.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #44
RedMattis

They've updated it for the latest Foundry now.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #45
mehrkat

Yay. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:23 PM   #46
Nose66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
They've updated it for the latest Foundry now.
Yes, our version 0.10.0 release was Foundry 0.8.x compatible. We are currently on version 0.10.2 (with another coming soon). And hopefully a release video after that.
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #47
Emerikol

So is the GURPS game aid necessary if all you wanted to do was maps with lighting and rolling 3d?

I'm not big on online character sheets. I will probably play around the table when possible but if I did buy this I'm wondering if the GURPS game aid adds anything for me.

Also if I do world maps in something like worldographer and export as a png, is that something easy to use in VTT?

I've also considered using the VTT around the table and just projecting what they see up on the wall or from above down onto the table. If I just did that and the group shared a mouse would that work?
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #48
Nose66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
So is the GURPS game aid necessary if all you wanted to do was maps with lighting and rolling 3d?
No. You can use the Simple World Building system in Foundry and the PDFoundry module (so you can view your character sheets as PDFs) and roll to your heart's content!

If, however, you build your characters in GCA or GCS, the GURPS Game aid can import directly from them (in fact, we encourage that you maintain your characters in GCA/GCS... The GURPS Game Aid is not a character creation tool).

Quote:
I'm not big on online character sheets.
I can understand that. Especially if you have to build your character, yet again, in some online tool. The GURPS Game Aid isn't that. Its sole purpose it to make it easier for you to play "Your GURPS, Your Way". It provides a quick and easy way to roll dice (and add/subtract the various modifiers), and it provides easy to access links to the appropriate pages of the SJG GURPS PDFs. So if you have a question about a skill, advantage, etc., the rules are only a click away.

Quote:
I will probably play around the table when possible but if I did buy this I'm wondering if the GURPS game aid adds anything for me.
One other big thing the Game Aid offers is the Damage Calculator. It handles the math for you (so you don't have to determine how many HP to subtract when doing 13 points of imp damage to the groin against a DR of 3).

Quote:
Also if I do world maps in something like worldographer and export as a png, is that something easy to use in VTT?
I am not a Foundry expert by any means... but I understand that it can import for various design packages directly. I don't know if worldographer is one of them. But yes, it can always handle a PNG.

Quote:
I've also considered using the VTT around the table and just projecting what they see up on the wall or from above down onto the table. If I just did that and the group shared a mouse would that work?
It would, but the GURPS Game Aid may not be as useful. The GGA excels at offering the player many ways to determine modifiers and roll dice. Which works great when everyone has their own character sheet open. If you are just using Foundry to display maps and move tokens, and you roll dice at the table, the GGA may not add much for you (but it free...so it can't hurt)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #49
Nose66

We released the 0.10.x version of the NaN GGA (Nick and Nose's GURPS Game Aid). Here is the release video: https://youtu.be/Z_riXpE2Slw
Old 06-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #50
Anaraxes

Quote:
Yes. That's the usual process, actually. To create a Foundry "scene", you point it at an image file and then drop some tokens on it. (If you're using a game system like the GURPS Game Aid, you've probably already created some "actors", which is to say objects with game stats, and created their token during your prep, so that's a matter of drag-and-drop.)

If you draw a grid on the the PNG, you'll want to match it in Foundry, so the rules and movement work correctly. (50 pixels per square seems common in maps I've seen online.) It's easy enough to adjust the grid scale and offset in Foundry. But if you expect to use your map in a VTT, you might leave out the grid and just let the VTT overlay it. Either way, it's better to plan on the future existence of that grid when drawing the map if the grid is going to be important or your group tends to argue about partial hexes.

You can also use Foundry in a gridless setup, just let the ruler measure pixels, and make the scale whatever you like. You'll probably need to establish some conventions for tactical map translation. (Things like "in the same hex" means "within one yard" -- or is it "within one-half yard"? -- for Close Combat, or the current thread about circular magic spell AoE radii versus the hex grid equivalent.)

Some mapmaking tools let you do more than just draw the image. Dungeondraft, for instance, lets you define walls, windows, etc, for lighting and visibility, and can export that information into a Foundry format. (Or you can just draw the walls and add the lighting in Foundry, whichever you prefer.)

Quote:
Our group has played F2F with a projected VTT fairly often. Works fine. We generally just all logged into the server on our laptops (or pads) and moved our own characters, so no sharing of a single mouse necessary. Or we'd just tell the GM where we wanted our characters to go. But you could certainly have just one machine logged in and pass a wireless mouse around the table if you wanted to.

You'd probably want two machines at least (GM and players) if you want to keep secret information secret. (For instance, monsters you've already put on a map but not revealed to the players, fog of war over stuff the players haven't seen yet, or having each player see just what their PC sees.) You could of course ignore those features and just do it more old school, adding the monsters to the map only when the PCs actually run into them.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote