Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
Pesterfield

Default Re: Infinite Supers

You also have supertech, and misuse of tech/powers to send people dimension hopping. Speaking of that what would work on Homeline? Some, most, supertech violates physical laws of Homeline so probable wouldn't work though some might. Would superpowers still work?

Some Homeline organization tries to hire a Superman. "No supervillians to fight, no alien invasions, no kryptonite. Just pick a city to protect and stop natural disasters from time to time. It's a good deal!"
Pesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #12
ParitySoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesterfield
Some Homeline organization tries to hire a Superman. "No supervillians to fight, no alien invasions, no kryptonite. Just pick a city to protect and stop natural disasters from time to time. It's a good deal!"
Or your worst nightmare. Reich gets their hand on a few supermen and start pressing hard to mass-produce them.

Looking for players in the Space Coast/Treasure Coast, FL area. Drop a line!
ParitySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:54 AM   #13
Xenarthral

Quote:
the possibility was mentioned that IST Earth might discover Homeline first.
Convention would require that any "traditional" superhero world (i.e. one with
actual heroes) should discover Centrum or posibly Reich-5 first.

Quote:
But one that Superman wouldn't take.

ISWAT is mentioned as having supers (listed between pulp heroes and
legendary figures, naturally) - they have to come from somewhere.
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:36 AM   #14
vitruvian

Well, in *my* campaign - there's likely to be a whole skerry of superhero comic book-oriented myth parallels, either including multiple versions (for different eras/continuities) of each company's titles or drastically prone to reality quakes (otherwise known as retcons), including 'reboots' that tend to move the advent of at least the latest generation of heroes and all their 'supporting cast' up to later decades, without changing the rest of world history appreciably. Unlike most pocket multiverses, there's nothing inherently difficult about traveling to or from these parallels by any of the means discussed in IW - indeed, their physical laws tend to be very 'loose' and forgiving in this regard - but they do tend to be kind of insular due to the majority of *their* interdimensional travelers depending on either innate or technological means of jumping that don't work reliably elsewhere (i.e., superpowers or supertech gadgets, where part of the Super modifier is deemed to include not working or being weakened in more 'realistic' realms).
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #15
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesterfield
You also have supertech, and misuse of tech/powers to send people dimension hopping. Speaking of that what would work on Homeline? Some, most, supertech violates physical laws of Homeline so probable wouldn't work though some might. Would superpowers still work?
Are you asking about items and supers from IST specifically? I would think that most powers and gadgets would work normally on Homeline. Infinity engineers might have trouble duplicating some of the technology, though... particularly items built by super-gadgeteers.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:46 AM   #16
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenarthral
Convention would require that any "traditional" superhero world (i.e. one with actual heroes) should discover Centrum or posibly Reich-5 first.
Heh, well I meant that IST might discover Homeline before being discovered by them. I'm not sure how strong the convention is [concerning first alternate world visited in superheroic fiction]: I've always kinda assumed "Flash of Two Worlds" to be the model story of that type.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #17
fredrik_nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Heh, well I meant that IST might discover Homeline before being discovered by them. I'm not sure how strong the convention is [concerning first alternate world visited in superheroic fiction]: I've always kinda assumed "Flash of Two Worlds" to be the model story of that type.
I totally agree! :)
fredrik_nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:40 PM   #18
Lord_Kjeran

Chello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
Well, in *my* campaign - there's likely to be a whole skerry of superhero comic book-oriented myth parallels, either including multiple versions (for different eras/continuities) of each company's titles or drastically prone to reality quakes (otherwise known as retcons), including 'reboots' that tend to move the advent of at least the latest generation of heroes and all their 'supporting cast' up to later decades,
Awesome idea! I was just thinking about how to do the reboots idea last night myself....glad to see someone else is thinking along the same lines! :thumbsup:

As to IW, an interesting quote from the sidebar, TT, p. 97:

Quote:
If Infinity Unlimited could ever trust any outtime body, it could probably trust the IST's UN -- and they could give each other a lot of help.
Sounds like a plan for a good IW campaign....or maybe adding an IST Super liasion to an ISWAT team. Or maybe an IST ISWAT team of its own operating under Infinity oversight; maybe call it IST Infinitas.

Hmmmm....

Tony

Q: GM, are you using the d20 rules system?
A: No. GURPS is fun. D20 games are not fun. The GM says so.

Playing d20/3.5 makes Baby Jesus cry.
Lord_Kjeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #19
Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenarthral
Convention would require that any "traditional" superhero world (i.e. one with
actual heroes) should discover Centrum or posibly Reich-5 first.
A little nightmare for your team of ISWAT PCs:

Superman (Or your Superman-analogue) discovers Reich-5. In the process of cleaning up the place and replacing its governments, he and his allies discover a worlds-spanning organization dedicated to maintaining its monopoly on dimension-travel and using the infinite worlds to increase corporate profits...
Old 12-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
Lord_Kjeran

Chello!

Ian, positively evil idea, EVIL!!! I love it! Wonder if I coyuld pull that off in game....

Tony

Q: GM, are you using the d20 rules system?
A: No. GURPS is fun. D20 games are not fun. The GM says so.

Playing d20/3.5 makes Baby Jesus cry.
Lord_Kjeran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds