Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
greatamericanfolkhero

Default My own Ghostbusters game

Hi, I’ve been lurking on the forums now for about a year. The recent videogame inspired me to run another long term Ghostbusters campaign. I ran a previous one under the d20 modern ruleset, but I had some problems with the way it handled and I’ve been thinking about running a GURPS game for a while. I’ve never run anything in GURPS before (minor lie: I ran one session of a game, but the first session was a lot of setup and introductions so it never got to the point where we actually used any GURPS mechanics, and everyone’s schedules conspired to kill the game before the second session.) so I’m not completely familiar with the GURPS rules.
I was hoping to get some feedback on what I had so far to see if it looked alright or if there are better ways of doing something that I’m not aware of.
I’m using the two movies and the recent video game for source material (I liked the game, and if Dan Akroyd considers it cannon, who am I to argue.) I picked up a copy of All Star Jam from e23, and some of the equipment in that I’ve adapted a little.

First off, the standard proton pack:
Proton Blast Stream
Dmg 4d burn Rng 100 Rof jet Shots 10 ST 10 Bulk -8 Rcl - Weight: 45lbs.
Proton Capture Stream
Power 3d spec Rng 50 Rof jet Shots 100 ST 10 Bulk -8 Rcl - Weight 45lbs.

For anyone familiar with the videogame, the capture stream was a separate function from the blast stream. The blast stream I put at 4d because a lot of the energy weapons in Ultratech seemed to start around there. I went with Rof of jet because the proton pack has always been depicted as a continuous stream. The shots are for how long the pack can be fired before it needs to be vented (another thing from the video game.) The bulk is there mostly to represent the weight of the pack (and the flame thrower was the closest example of a “weapon and pack” that I found.)
The capture stream's Power is a penalty applied to the ghost’s strength (sort of, I’ll get to that) to escape the capture beam.

I couldn’t find a “ranged grapple” type option so here’s what I came up with to capture ghosts:

The operator first must successfully hit the subject with the capture stream, On the ghost's turn it rolls against it's ST+HP to escape the capture beam with a penalty to the roll equal to the power roll of the capture stream. If the ghost does not escape then it's movement is reduced to 2. On subsequent turns, the operator must maintain the capture. Roll to hit with the capture stream. On a failure, the capture stream remains on the ghost, but the operator is unable to move the ghost in any meaningful way. On a success, the operator may move the ghost a number of yards equal to his margin of success.
Once successfully wrangled into the muon trap's area of affect, the trap must be activated. A ghost caught in a capture stream receives a -5 penalty to resist the trap.

The “ST+HP” thing is because I wanted the players to have to beat up on a ghost a little bit before they could capture it, and this way they could always get lucky with the trap or with the ghost flubbing it’s role, but it would be hard for them to have it in the capture stream immediately.

Last edited by greatamericanfolkhero; 07-28-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: your modern concept of spelling and grammar frightens and confuses me
greatamericanfolkhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
greatamericanfolkhero

Default Re: My own Ghostbusters game

Sorry for the double posts, but I wanted to break what I had up to make it easier to read.

The trap is basically the same as the one in All-star Jam, except it’s area is a 3 hex cone and the power is 15.

Now on to the other weapons introduced in the videogame:
Boson Dart
Dmg 4dX2 burn, exp Acc 2 Rng 75/150 Rof 1 Shots 1 ST 10 Bulk -8 Rcl 1 Weight: 45lbs.

The Boson dart is basically rocket launcher in the game. It does more damage to a creature and has a spread.

Slime Blower
dmg 2d-1 spec Rng 25 Rof jet Shots 5 ST 10 Bulk -4 Rcl 1 Weight 45lbs
Slime Tether
Power 4d spec Rng 40 Rof 2 Shots 5 ST 10 Bulk -4 Rcl 1 Weight 45lbs

The slime blower doesn’t damage normal creatures or objects, but can knockback like a water cannon, and can drive a possessing spirit out of a host. (I’m still not sure how to model this) the damage is arbitrary.
The slime tether was mostly a puzzle solving tool in the game, but did have it’s use against ghosts power determines the strength of the tether A Tether lasts one second for every three points of ST rolled. If a creature is tethered to an object it must make a quick contest against the Strength rolled or be slammed into the object as per Slamming ghosts

Slamming ghosts was another way to weaken them in the videogame This is what I came up with to try and recreate that in GURPS (a lot of it was cribbed from the melee slam rules on B371:
Once an object or creature is caught in the Capture Beam (and has failed at least one attempt to escape in the case of a creature) the operator may attempt to further weaken the captured subject by “slamming”. This is a deliberate attempt to collide the captured subject into the environment. This requires an attack, all-out attack, or Move and attack maneuver. Roll against Beam Weapons (Projector) to maintain the capture. If successful, instead of a normal attempt to move the creature or object the operator instead moves the subject a number of yards equal to his or hers margin of success into the nearest physical structure (wall, floor, parked car, ect.). Both the captured subject and the physical structure take ((Effective ST of Capture Stream x yards moved)/100)d.

Tags
ghostbusters, gurps newb