Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: kusarigama

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I was going to agree full-heartedly but downgraded to half-heartedly when I got to "Ax would also cover hammers". That part bothers me but I won't argue against it as I can see _some_ logic to it depending on the shape/size of the hammer. It's not what I would do but I'm not going to try to talk you out of it.
Honestly, I could go either way myself on where to put hammers. The only justification I have for aligning them under Ax is the fact that hammers have a specific striking face or 'edge' like axes while maces, morningstars, and flails do not.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #22
hcobb

What skills are needed to use a typical Halberd with a pike point, axe blade and hammer?
Old 11-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #23
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What skills are needed to use a typical Halberd with a pike point, axe blade and hammer?
For me the need for a separate Pole Arm talent has more to do with the unwieldiness of the length and taking advantage of 'reach' rather than what specific head is on the weapon. But we probably shouldn't derail this thread any further.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #24
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
For me the need for a separate Pole Arm talent has more to do with the unwieldiness of the length and taking advantage of 'reach' rather than what specific head is on the weapon. But we probably shouldn't derail this thread any further.
Yes, and I believe the desire to avoid debates about what should be a Mace and what should be an Ax was a hefty factor when deciding to lump both together.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #25
TippetsTX

So here's a question... if the character took the mundane talent Farming, would that provide familiarity for using the kama as a weapon (since it is technically a tool for harvesting grain)? After all, that is where the techniques originated.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #26
TippetsTX

Quote:
The rough Japanese equivalent of the "retiarii". A sickle with a weighted chain on the end. Treat as a whip & hatchet combo, requiring Ax/Mace and Whip talents. User holds one in each hand and attacks with one or the other. You can throw both on one turn at -4 DX on both attacks.
Were you also watching Kubo of the Two Strings on TV this week?
;)
Old 11-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #27
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
So here's a question... if the character took the mundane talent Farming, would that provide familiarity for using the kama as a weapon (since it is technically a tool for harvesting grain)? After all, that is where the techniques originated.
Wheat doesn't strike back.

She would be able to tell if it was an actual agricultural instrument or something else, such as a weapon crafted to look like one.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #28
TippetsTX

Quote:
Wheat doesn't strike back.
No, but neither does a samurai who has been tripped by the weighted chain or rope wrapped around his legs which is kinda the point of the kusarigama... peasant farmers had to come up with a way to bring the soldiers down to even the playing field somewhat.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #29
Skarg

I think I would add a Kusari peculiar weapon talent, probably just 1 point - I'd research to see if it should require Thrown Weapons like Bolas or not like Lasso. It lets you throw a kusari as intended, and if you have the ax/mace talent too, it lets you use a kusarigama as intended.

The no-talent chain attack is just using a heavy chain as a club. You could do that with a kusari chain, but it's just an expensive club then.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #30
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I think I would add a Kusari peculiar weapon talent, probably just 1 point - I'd research to see if it should require Thrown Weapons like Bolas or not like Lasso. It lets you throw a kusari as intended, and if you have the ax/mace talent too, it lets you use a kusarigama as intended.

The no-talent chain attack is just using a heavy chain as a club. You could do that with a kusari chain, but it's just an expensive club then.
You're willing to create a new peculiar weapon talent to handle one part of the kusarigama but not one to handle the whole kusarigama -- just like TippetsTX. Kusari means Chain. I'm obviously outnumbered here. I won't bother you guys anymore.