Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #21
Anomylous

Default Re: In My Perfect TFT...

As a player and GM, I'd definitely love to have these things, all of which I think have already been mentioned:
  • GM screen
  • decks of pre-made NPC's
  • Character creation guide/reference, with talents, spells, weapons table, basic gear, playable races, etc. (D&D 5e has an entire hardbound book for this; we'd probably need something about the size of Advanced Melee)
  • more monsters
  • more potions & magic items
  • more character races,
  • more flavor in the magic system (different colleges etc.) - wizard characters are often pretty boring in the RAW.
  • rules for NAVAL COMBAT and sailing ships in general, oh my goodness Dad would go crazy
  • more detailed and physics-oriented rules for flight and aerial combat, I can always "wing it" (har) with help from what's already in AM, but it'd be nice to know i.e. the maneuverability of a dragon vs. a flying carpet.
  • rules for large-scale battles, in case the players find themselves in command of an army, or fighting among its ranks

Some of this, in fact, I've already put some amount of effort into trying to produce for myself, and I know I'm not alone in this. (I was actually discussing the character-handbook idea with my family, and my kid bro took it upon himself to type out an amusing and very informative how-to on building effective combat characters; I can paste it here if people want to read The Munchkin's Guide to Character Creation.)

Terrain and minis would be neat, sure, but to me that's really low priority. Even elaborately crafted terrain and intricately painted minis represent the action taking place on the imaginary plane only slightly less inadequately than simple cardboard counters. So I'd rather see more effort concentrated on those cardboard counters (they're cheaper and easier to store, so you can collect a lot more of them), and a big dry-erasable hex map with MH markings.

Something that I haven't seen anyone ask for yet, is tie-in novels. I think Cidri is fairly unique in that it's not quite "standard fantasy" - instead, it's essentially sci-fi dressed up in Ren Faire garb, and that's a vibe I'll never get tired of. If the books were good, moreover, they might gain popularity outside the regular RPG fanbase and draw in more players. Obviously that's not likely to be part of the Kickstarter campaign - but it'd be cool to see happen eventually.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #22
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
Something that I haven't seen anyone ask for yet, is tie-in novels. I think Cidri is fairly unique in that it's not quite "standard fantasy" - instead, it's essentially sci-fi dressed up in Ren Faire garb, and that's a vibe I'll never get tired of. If the books were good, moreover, they might gain popularity outside the regular RPG fanbase and draw in more players. Obviously that's not likely to be part of the Kickstarter campaign - but it'd be cool to see happen eventually.
It definitely harkens back to the bygone era of science fantasy which has been returning, bit by bit. Cidri makes me think of the magitech, power-blasted settings of Moorcock's Hawkmoon, Corum, and Elric and the books I read as a kid and have re-read, in the past few years.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #23
JLV

I'm not sure how SJG would work that. They aren't a mega-giant like the old TSR, and they haven't ever done anything like that before. I don't know how different publishing a book that's NOT a game is from publishing one that is -- on the surface it looks the same, but there may be all sorts of different issues that come up there that wouldn't come up with a splat book.

Also, there's the problem of an author. Maybe Steve or Guy (or someone I don't even know exists over at SJG) could write a good, readable, novel on the Cidri game-world; but if they're doing that, they aren't writing and publishing expansions for TFT, so I'd rather they didn't! And finding the right author to do justice to the job might be just as (or even more) difficult than finding the right artist for a project.

Intriguing idea, but I don't know how likely SJG is to take it on...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #24
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I'm not sure how SJG would work that. They aren't a mega-giant like the old TSR, and they haven't ever done anything like that before. I don't know how different publishing a book that's NOT a game is from publishing one that is -- on the surface it looks the same, but there may be all sorts of different issues that come up there that wouldn't come up with a splat book.

Also, there's the problem of an author. Maybe Steve or Guy (or someone I don't even know exists over at SJG) could write a good, readable, novel on the Cidri game-world; but if they're doing that, they aren't writing and publishing expansions for TFT, so I'd rather they didn't! And finding the right author to do justice to the job might be just as (or even more) difficult than finding the right artist for a project.

Intriguing idea, but I don't know how likely SJG is to take it on...
Maybe talk to an author who's already written TFT material, like Lawrence Watt Evans who published "The Temple of Life" in Spacegamer 29...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #25
JLV

That's a great idea!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #26
Anomylous

Dad has actually written not one but TWO short novels (maybe with plans for a third? Not sure), based loosely on a campaign he ran for us one Christmas.

Naturally, I'm very biased on this matter and you shouldn't take my word seriously concerning their quality - but I did get to read those drafts, and enjoyed them a lot. I suspect he'd be more than happy to send them over for consideration, if SJG decides that releasing a novel is something they're interested in.

Of course I'd also like to see stuff written by other people. I already got to read Dad's stories, after all, I want fresh new visions!

Last edited by Anomylous; 07-27-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #27
Taliesin
Banned

Im my perfect TFT the game would be built for use in the modern world.

Rule books properly formatted for use on electronic devices.

V.T.T. support.

3d printer support. Mega hexes, cidri specific creatures. Common FRP items such as player character, orc and so on are already well supported by other manufactures.

More Liz Danforth art!
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #28
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Source book set in the wizard college described in the fictional intro of Wizard.

A book with some alternate demons (or call them devils). The standard demon, while matching some interpretations, lacks utility as an adversary.

A treatment of more supernatural creatures from myth and legend. There's a large number of celtic and asian horrors that would fit well.

A significant expansion of the talents available for IQ 7-8 characters who don't use much in the way of weapons. If you try statting out an IQ 8 gargoyle, good luck figuring out how to fill up his talent list without getting silly.

A pirate sourcebook with a nice map of two medieval cogs or galleys (or later ships, but we don't necessarily want cannon involved) that can be placed next to one another and some sea travel rule expansions. Doesn't need navy combat, though an age of sail expansion would probably be okay.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 08-01-2018 at 05:08 PM.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #29
JLV

Now THAT one, I like! I think a magic academy might be a very interesting source book -- especially if it had a mystery set there to introduce the venue properly. Sort of a combination of Bookhounds of London and Foucault's Pendulum, with magic thrown in.

In fact, if it were done cleverly it might be either the sequel or the prequel to Tollenkar's Lair!
Old 09-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #30
DrewAstolfi67

I love the Old School quality of TFT... and I think that this has the potential to capture some of the energy that is present in the OSR. So I'd like to see a way to foster the production of material from people who are gming their own versions of this game. (I remember a friend from college making Anne Rice-style vampires (as opponents) for the game for example) So I say let a 100 flowers bloom and let's see what people make... So maybe I want a Warehouse 23 "room" for TFT where we share material? Mb. curated by SJG?

I'm less interested in an expansion of the sample setting from In the Labyrinth - Bendwyn, Huldre wood etc; and more interested in what all these people off on their own have come up with.

Oh and I want a ton more monsters!

I am super excited about all this regardless.
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote