Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default [G:DF] Cantrips?

D&D 3E introduced the warlock class, which had access to a spell it could cast at-will. Wizards still had to carry around a crossbow to be effective in the fight after they ran out of spells.

D&D 4E introduced at-will, encounter, and daily powers, so the wizards wouldn't have to carry around crossbows.

D&D 5E has the cantrip-level spells, so wizards still don't have to carry around crossbows.

Using Powers (and various compendiums), what should I include to turn a power into an alternate ability to Magery (or Power Investiture, or whatever) that doesn't require an action to switch between various cantrips, and between cantrips and Magery/PI spells? Cosmic, or something?

I'm thinking various powers that don't cost FP to cast, can be switched between, don't do much damage or do much (just slightly-weaker versions of D&D 5E cantrips), but which allows a caster to have continuous use.

(I think of it like this. The Knights/Swashbucklers/etc. generally don't track their FP during a fight, but a Wizard can be out of a fight after one big spell.)
Old 01-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [G:DF] Cantrips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post

I'm thinking various powers that don't cost FP to cast, can be switched between, don't do much damage or do much (just slightly-weaker versions of D&D 5E cantrips), but which allows a caster to have continuous use.
This is intrinsic to Gurps Magic. Just get Skill-15 and you can do 1D Missile and Jet Spells all day.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Huh. Forgot about that. :) (I generally think in terms of other magic systems - e.g., RPM, Divine Favor - as how they fit into G:DF.)

Okay, if I were to do it for RPM (or, what's it called, Incanters?). What would be the enhancement that would allow an alternate ability to be used without the switch time?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
What would be the enhancement that would allow an alternate ability to be used without the switch time?
The enhancement is "buying it as a non-alternate ability". For cantrip-level spells, it should still be fairly cheap.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
The enhancement is "buying it as a non-alternate ability". For cantrip-level spells, it should still be fairly cheap.
Also note that alternative ATTACKS, as opposed to abilities, don't take time to switch between. Most cantrips you want to switch rapidly between will count as an attack.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Also note that alternative ATTACKS, as opposed to abilities, don't take time to switch between. Most cantrips you want to switch rapidly between will count as an attack.
Thats a little off in this case. Switching from one attack to another takes no time but I wouldn't call Magery an attack power.
There is no RAW way to do what the Op wants that I know of but here are ideas.
  • Buy Reduced Time on Magery (Not allowed to reduce Casting Time) to swap.
  • Buy Cosmic at the +50% Utility level
  • Buy a Tecgnique to switch say IQ-10 the typical penalty for Instant use.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
Celjabba

Extra-ready(aspected, only to switch between AA, -20 or -40%) [20 or 15] could also help.

Be carefull of the side effects of switching off (part of) magery. RPM Contingency spells limits, for one, iirc (don't remember right now if it is tied to magery ?)

Last edited by Celjabba; 01-26-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Extra-ready(aspected, only to switch between AA, -20 or -40%) [20 or 15] could also help.
Yeah, that is actually the best solution and I would call it RAW.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
Sorenant

There's officially Compartmentalized Mind (Only to switch the active sorcerous spell, -60%; No Mental Separation, -20%) [10] for Sorcery, so I don't see why you couldn't reuse it for Magery AA.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This is intrinsic to Gurps Magic. Just get Skill-15 and you can do 1D Missile and Jet Spells all day.
I dunno about ALL day, M7 says you don't need to spend energy on normal failures (Information spells excepted: must spend full) if you have cost reduced to zero, but you DO need to spend full cost on a crit failure, so occasionally you're going to roll a 17 or 18 and lose that 1 FP.

That's 1.85% of the time so it should kick in by the time you've thrown your 60th fireball after two minutes of bombarding an enemy base.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote