Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
Maz

Default Re: Occupation and Status/Social regard

Just for the record, celebrities has Reputation not Social Regard or Status. They only get a reaction modifier if recognised. "Celebrety" is not an occupation as such. Or well, I guess it is, but it's not a job you can apply for, you have to make it for yourself (or have someone make you one) and relies 100% on people knowing who YOU are, not just what your job or background is.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #32
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Any one have some input here?
I get the impression that Social Regard is meant to be rare. It's for Jedi and for holy men, not for whoeverholds a fairly common albeit popular (/intimidating) job.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #33
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Ick. I don't know which is worse but the second is darned ungrateful.

I suppose though a lot of that sort of thing is Reputation at least with soldiers and sailors. "Single men in barracks don't behave like plaster saints" and all. Is there a group Reputation that can substitute for Social Stigma?
Social Stigma (Dumb Party Animals) sounds fine to me.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #34
rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Soldiers aren't seen very often on streets at least not soldiers that are obviously being soldiers. That is there aren't columns parading through the street as there might be on Barryar. There are soldiers on leave but they behave just like civilians, though some where uniforms on leave.
I think the mein difference is that there are everyday situations where their
professional knowledge gives firemen, policemen, nurses, paramedics, priests
or teachers the authority to tell others what best to do, while there is no
everyday situation where his professional knowledge enables a soldier to tell
one what best to do - his professional knowledge is only valuable for others
in extraordinary situations, not in everyday life.
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust View Post
I think the mein difference is that there are everyday situations where their
professional knowledge gives firemen, policemen, nurses, paramedics, priests
or teachers the authority to tell others what best to do, while there is no
everyday situation where his professional knowledge enables a soldier to tell
one what best to do - his professional knowledge is only valuable for others
in extraordinary situations, not in everyday life.
I remember meeting one whom I thought was just back from Iraq. I almost said "welcome back" to her but was to shy to. I always regretted it though I suppose it would have created an mildly awkward situation.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #36
gruundehn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
Varies hugely...

Go back to the Vietnam War era in America, I don't think they respected soldiers back then...
From personal experience, I can testify that military members were not respected towards the end of the Vietnam War. My parents listened to a priest say, from the pulpit, that military members should never have been born (I was serving in SEA at the time).

However, walk down the street today and try to guess the occupation of the various people you see. Unlike Sherlock Holmes one today cannot identify someone's occupation merely by looking at them. The point in Social Regard (To be an advantage, ths must be obvious to anyone who meets you.) cannot apply at the instance of meeting anymore but would have to occur after introductions. In medieval times the laws restricted what each class could wear and often what each occupation could wear. Although the occupations tended to be obvious due to the nature of the work or because everyone in the villiage knew everyone anyway.
In today's society, for most of the world I think, modifiers such as are used on Reputation should be used for Social Regard.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #37
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
In today's society, for most of the world I think, modifiers such as are used on Reputation should be used for Social Regard.
Just wait for mugshot and v-tags. ^_^
Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #38
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
From personal experience, I can testify that military members were not respected towards the end of the Vietnam War. My parents listened to a priest say, from the pulpit, that military members should never have been born (I was serving in SEA at the time).

However, walk down the street today and try to guess the occupation of the various people you see. Unlike Sherlock Holmes one today cannot identify someone's occupation merely by looking at them. The point in Social Regard (To be an advantage, ths must be obvious to anyone who meets you.) cannot apply at the instance of meeting anymore but would have to occur after introductions. In medieval times the laws restricted what each class could wear and often what each occupation could wear. Although the occupations tended to be obvious due to the nature of the work or because everyone in the villiage knew everyone anyway.
A sort of sumptuary laws still exist with regard to the impersonation of public officials. Actually that's not quite the same thing, but it could have been the root of such things; even more damage could be done by someone impersonating a knight then impersonating a cop.

Tags
social regard, status