Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
DAT

Default DF3 Dark One + DF14 Mentalist

Have a player who wants to play a Dark One Apprentice Mentalist (a 125 point cut down version of the 250 point full Mentalist template) in a new 150 point DF game I'm running. I wanted to get some opinions from other GMs on a couple points.

The Psi connection to Elder Things is heavy in the text of DF14. But the Dark One and Half-Spirit Elder-Spawn from DF3, don't really have an Psi benefits (which isn't surprising given DF3 was written well before DF14). So I was considering coming up with an Alternative Ability (Power-Ups 3 Talents) for the Elder Gifts talent or an alternative to the Better Power Items Perk. Has anyone already thought about this and come up with alternatives?

My player asked if Psi Talent adds to Innate Attack (Gaze) skill for Psychokinetic Lash and Pyrokinetic Bolt. I was originally going to say no, but upon reading "... gives +1 per level to all rolls ... to ... target psi attacks ..." seems to make it clear that Psi Talent should add to Innate Attack (Gaze) skill. Any other other interpretations?
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
Sorenant

Default Re: DF3 Dark One + DF14 Mentalist

Elder Gift covers 4 skills so as per Counting Your Blessings and Smooth Talent Cost it's alternative cost is 4/level. You could add another skill to increase its value.
I think Innate Attack and Mental Strength are good candidates, both are fitting and useful. The former is a combat skill but Forest Guardian and Pickaxe Penchant sets a precedent. The latter is more subtle but it gives good defense against psi (and other mental) attacks.
Alternatively, you could make it composite trait of 4/level talent + leveled perk, the perk being one that increases the cap of Psi Talent.
Edit: I suppose you could also straight up allow to replace Elder Gift with Psi Talent.

Yes, power talents adds to the attack roll of related powers.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:46 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
Elder Gift covers 4 skills so as per Counting Your Blessings and Smooth Talent Cost it's alternative cost is 4/level. You could add another skill to increase its value.
I think Innate Attack and Mental Strength are good candidates, both are fitting and useful. The former is a combat skill but Forest Guardian and Pickaxe Penchant sets a precedent. The latter is more subtle but it gives good defense against psi (and other mental) attacks.
Alternatively, you could make it composite trait of 4/level talent + leveled perk, the perk being one that increases the cap of Psi Talent.
Edit: I suppose you could also straight up allow to replace Elder Gift with Psi Talent.

Yes, power talents adds to the attack roll of related powers.
Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but Smooth Talent Cost starts at 5 points. There isn't an option to get a Talent for a base cost under 5.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but Smooth Talent Cost starts at 5 points. There isn't an option to get a Talent for a base cost under 5.
Oh, well, right. I knew that of course, I was just testing you.
Jokes aside, I had completely forgotten about that detail. In my defense, I only use that rule as a rule of thumb to create or tweak talents with 5 or 10 points.
Still, my point about adding a new skill to the talent applies.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote