Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2021, 10:31 PM   #1
JulianLW

Default RPM Blocking Spells/Instant Gathering

I'm not understanding how Blocking Spells work in RPM.

In RPM, under "'Blocking' Spells":

"Ambient energy can be gathered instantly at -10 to skill; this supersedes the normal penalty to reduce time."

So ... does this mean that, if I have the Path skill at 21, I can roll at 11 to gather energy 3 times, then at 10 3 times, then at 9 3 times ... until I have enough energy to power the blocking ritual? ... all instantly? or until I fail a roll, at which point the blocking attempt fails?

Or does it mean that, if I have a blocking spell that costs, say, 30 energy, I have to have a skill high enough to gather (45-Mana Reserve) energy in a single Path-10 roll? Like, if I have RPM Magery 8 and skill 20, I can use my 24 Mana Reserve and then I have to come up with 6 more energy by rolling at 10 and hoping for a 4? Well ... that doesn't seem plausible.

By the same token, if energy can be gathered instantly at -10, does that mean that I can do all my gathering rolls from a base of skill-10 (and hope I never roll a failure, which stops the instant gathering) like normal, but all those gathering rolls happen instantly?

Finally, an unrelated question. Let's say I have Magery 2, so my Path skills are capped at Magery 2 + 12 for 14, but my IQ is 20, and 1 CP in a Path skill would give me 17. If I put 2 points in a Path skill, could I use those extra 4 points of theoretical skill above the cap (18 - 14) to soak penalties?

I couldn't find a clear answer to these questions anywhere, and I'm trying to learn how RPM works! Thanks for responses!

Last edited by JulianLW; 07-16-2021 at 10:58 PM.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:30 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: RPM Blocking Spells/Instant Gathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
I'm not understanding how Blocking Spells work in RPM.

In RPM, under "'Blocking' Spells":

"Ambient energy can be gathered instantly at -10 to skill; this supersedes the normal penalty to reduce time."

So ... does this mean that, if I have the Path skill at 21, I can roll at 11 to gather energy 3 times, then at 10 3 times, then at 9 3 times ... until I have enough energy to power the blocking ritual? ... all instantly? or until I fail a roll, at which point the blocking attempt fails?
Correct. You can make any number of gathering rolls, with all that that entails, but as soon as you fail or gather enough energy you're done.

Quote:
By the same token, if energy can be gathered instantly at -10, does that mean that I can do all my gathering rolls from a base of skill-10 (and hope I never roll a failure, which stops the instant gathering) like normal, but all those gathering rolls happen instantly?
I'd probably say "No" as a GM. Blocking spells should be spelled out as to what they are when made. Not every spell can just be instantly performed like this. Otherwise you're going to get casters who always roll at -10 to gather and cast instantly and that is obviously broken.

Quote:
Finally, an unrelated question. Let's say I have Magery 2, so my Path skills are capped at Magery 2 + 12 for 14, but my IQ is 20, and 1 CP in a Path skill would give me 17. If I put 2 points in a Path skill, could I use those extra 4 points of theoretical skill above the cap (18 - 14) to soak penalties?
No.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Correct. You can make any number of gathering rolls, with all that that entails, but as soon as you fail or gather enough energy you're done.
Thanks for the responses! Based on the forum discussions of RPM I've read so far, I suspected you'd show up when the RPM signal appeared in the sky.

Quote:
I'd probably say "No" as a GM. Blocking spells should be spelled out as to what they are when made. Not every spell can just be instantly performed like this. Otherwise you're going to get casters who always roll at -10 to gather and cast instantly and that is obviously broken.
But you can roll in one second at -4, right? Let's say you have a small spell, and one roll at -4 is all it takes to gather enough energy - that spell would be cast on that same turn, right? as soon as the energy was gathered?

Example: My Ignite spell is just Lesser Control Energy (5), Cost: 5. I have Path of Energy at 19. I cut my gathering roll to one second for -4 and roll an 8, gathering 7 energy. As soon as that's done, I've lit my fire, correct? In theory, this makes for a one-turn spell - though not instant.

But I could NOT gather energy at -4 three times in that second, as I could when rolling -10 for instant gathering with a blocking spell, right? Or could I? (I think this is a no.)

The -4 for fast-casting means that I can roll that Path of Energy skill at 15 to gather for 3 seconds in a row, then at 14 for 3 more seconds, etc., to come up with ~27 energy in 6 seconds, correct?

So (and I'm sure this has been asked before) is there any way to get a more powerful one-second spell?

Could you do, like, "Rapid Strike Gathering" in one second at -6 on top of the -4? That is, could you take a -10 penalty on two gathering rolls (or -16 on three rolls) to make them in the same second?

Finally, would your "Spellslinger" advantage in Pyramid 3/66 cut that penalty to -3, for -7 for 2 gathering rolls in a second or -10 for 3 gathering rolls in a second?
Old 07-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #4
Kalzazz

I allow -10 to cast spells in a single round.

I think this lines up perfectly well with the -10 for Quick Shooting Bows without Heroic Archer and Weapon Master for single round shooting, or Dungeon Fantasy -10 for single round First Aid

It's fairly niche . . . People usually prefer to use their charms in combat because the delta from 'my skill plus charm lab plus grimoire' to 'my skill -10' is so huge, the main use I've seen is to show off with minor cantrips outside of combat
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #5
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I allow -10 to cast spells in a single round.
I assume you mean a series of gathering rolls starting at -10 in one second (rather than instant)? Otherwise, if it were just a single roll for a one second spell, it'd be at -4, right?

This is the thing that's giving me the hangup: I'm so used to the normal GURPS mechanics that being able to make more than a single active die roll per turn to accomplish an action is just confusing me, I guess.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
Kalzazz

Right, series of rolls in round at -10 to cast in one round
Old 07-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #7
Kalzazz

Multiple rolls in one round to do something is common

Fast draw to draw a gun, then guns to shoot it

For quick shooting bows. Fast Draw Arrow, then Bow to load the Bow, then Bow to shoot it

So in this case, say your doing Generic Attack Spell
Bunch of -10 Gather Energy, then Casting roll, then Innate Attack to hit with it
Old 07-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
JulianLW

Cool. I wonder how Christopher Rice feels about -10 for one-turn casting like this? He seems to be the RPM Guru around here.

And another question, while I'm asking....

Re: Alternative benefits for Natural Caster talent:

Quote:
I give a +2 bonus to conditional spell slots as the alternative benefit for my games.
How does this work? A flat bonus for anyone with the talent, whatever level? Or +2/level (which seems excessive to me).

What would be other reasonable options for an alternative benefit for Natural Caster? Having +1/level reaction from other casters seems excessive to me, especially if you allow levels higher than 4.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
But you can roll in one second at -4, right? Let's say you have a small spell, and one roll at -4 is all it takes to gather enough energy - that spell would be cast on that same turn, right? as soon as the energy was gathered?

Example: My Ignite spell is just Lesser Control Energy (5), Cost: 5. I have Path of Energy at 19. I cut my gathering roll to one second for -4 and roll an 8, gathering 7 energy. As soon as that's done, I've lit my fire, correct? In theory, this makes for a one-turn spell - though not instant.

But I could NOT gather energy at -4 three times in that second, as I could when rolling -10 for instant gathering with a blocking spell, right? Or could I? (I think this is a no.)

The -4 for fast-casting means that I can roll that Path of Energy skill at 15 to gather for 3 seconds in a row, then at 14 for 3 more seconds, etc., to come up with ~27 energy in 6 seconds, correct?
No, the penalty for gathering faster is superseded by the blocking spell penalty. They are not meant to interact. The -10 to gathering rolls for blocking spells is effectively, "I turn this into a free action." It's meant to emulate certain types of tropes and fiction. It's not meant to allow you to instant-cast spells willy-nilly. If you want that then buy levels of ATR or Compartmentalized Mind.

Quote:
So (and I'm sure this has been asked before) is there any way to get a more powerful one-second spell?

Could you do, like, "Rapid Strike Gathering" in one second at -6 on top of the -4? That is, could you take a -10 penalty on two gathering rolls (or -16 on three rolls) to make them in the same second?
If you had Spellslinger. Rapid Strike for spells is not available without that ability.

Quote:
Finally, would your "Spellslinger" advantage in Pyramid 3/66 cut that penalty to -3, for -7 for 2 gathering rolls in a second or -10 for 3 gathering rolls in a second?
No, it enables that option. Normal casters can't do it.

Quote:
Cool. I wonder how Christopher Rice feels about -10 for one-turn casting like this? He seems to be the RPM Guru around here.
I wouldn't.

Quote:
Re: Alternative benefits for Natural Caster talent:

How does this work? A flat bonus for anyone with the talent, whatever level? Or +2/level (which seems excessive to me).
It's +2 conditionals per level of the talent.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
JulianLW

Quote:
It's +2 conditionals per level of the talent.
Thanks again!

Tags
gathering magic energy, ritual path magic