Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #211
Gollum

Default Re: How to Be a GURPS GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllySanders View Post
One question I do have: how do you keep die rolls from bogging down the game flow? I understand the need for rolling dice in combat scenes, but how do you handle dice rolls in non-combat situations - or rather, how do you keep from rolling the dice for every single action the character takes?
I fully do agree with Agemegos' answer which can be applied to any roleplaying game system. And I also do agree with Stormcrow: watching roleplaying games on the net is a good idea - though it is a bit boring, while playing is much more fun!

GURPS still has its own answer which in, in my humble opinion, one of the more precise I have ever read.
WHEN TO ROLL
To avoid bogging down the game in endless die rolls, the GM should only require a success roll if . . .
• A PC’s health, wealth, friends, reputation, or equipment are at risk. This includes chases, combat (even if the target is stationary and at point-blank range!), espionage, thievery, and similar “adventuring” activities.
• A PC stands to gain allies, information, new abilities, social standing, or wealth.
The GM should not require rolls for . . .
• Utterly trivial tasks, such as crossing the street, driving into town, feeding the dog, finding the corner store, or turning on the computer.
• Daily work at a mundane, nonadventuring job.
(GURPS Lite, page 1)
In other words, you only require (or make) die rolls when there is a meaningful risk for the player character or when the player character tries to gain something meaningful.

Examples

The player characters are going to the library of the next big town to search for an occult book. They take their car...
  • If they know how to drive, no roll is required. It is daily work at a mundane nonadventuring job as well as utterly trivial task.
  • If they are teenagers who just borrowed their parent's car without permission and just know how to drive by looking TV and adults driving, the trip becomes very risky and rolls should be made: at least one to start the car and one for the travel. See Basic Set, page 345-346 for modifiers. The examples are precisely about driving.
  • If they are adult who know how to drive but their enemies chase them, trying to prevent them to reach the library, it is obviously an adventuring task with meaningful risks and then rolls are required to settle the chase and to know if there is an accident.
But we are going far away from the topic of this thread, here...

I would like going on answering your questions, though, if you have any others. So, don't hesitate to start a new thread, to use private messages (click on the name of the person you want and then on "Send a private message to..."). You can also write to me at my ordinary mail address (gollum_deux@yahoo.fr) if you prefer. I will answer more quickly.

Oh, I've got an idea. I propose you a short play-by-mail game where you would be the player and I would be the game master, with comments all along to explain you what I do as GM and why. Don't hesitate to send me a message if you are interested. And just note that it would be an example of what can be done - every GM handle things differently, especially with a game as flexible and adaptable as GURPS.

Last edited by Gollum; 09-23-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #212
AllySanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I fully do agree with Agemegos' answer which can be applied to any roleplaying game system. And I also do agree with Stormcrow: watching roleplaying games on the net is a good idea - though it is a bit boring, while playing is much more fun!

Oh, I've got an idea. I propose you a short play-by-mail game where you would be the player and I would be the game master, with comments all along to explain you what I do as GM and why. Don't hesitate to send me a message if you are interested. And just note that it would be an example of what can be done - every GM handle things differently, especially with a game as flexible and adaptable as GURPS.
thank you very much again! I did get this book and am working through it now, so hopefully, that will answer the newbie stuff questions. I also finally found a very good Youtube clip of a first time game session, too!

I do like the idea of the play-by-mail - if my job wasn't taking up my life right now which is my reasoning *cough* excuse *cough* for why I'm answering many days after your post..... I'm doing a lot a driving and late work right now (and am thinking about game ideas and plot lines to pass the time - and keep awake while on the road.....), but hope to have the project finished up in about 2 months, and then I should hopefully have more free time then and may just take you up on your offer then!

Thanks again!
AllySanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #213
Gollum

OK. No problem for the delay. Just send me a private message or ordinary mail as soon as you want to play.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #214
Hrothgar

Just got finished reading through this. Just wanted to say it really helped out a lot. I've tried several times to GM in the past but have always had difficulty keeping people or myself invested. I started another campaign recently, and while I enjoyed it, I as a bit disappointed still (Considering I put a lot more time in my recent attempt). I was looking around and heard about this book and decided to buy it.

I think there is a lot of practical advice about setting up a game in here. The breakdown of combat is very helpful, as I find this to be the hardest part about gurps to understand thoroughly. I believe after reading this book, I will be able to design campaigns that are more accessible to new players and I think I have a better understanding of the game myself.

I think this book is fantastic for someone who wants to start GMing, but perhaps doesn't have anyone to learn from in person. Gurps can be very difficult to learn if you start off GMing, but I could never find anyone else who wanted to GM.

So in short, thanks to Mook for this fantastic guide. I plan on pointing it out to any other aspiring GMs I meet (especially because if I find another GM I can actually play the game for once!!! Lol)

Tags
how to be a gurps gm