Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #261
Ts_

Default Re: GURPS Does It The Hard Way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Whereas "existant" is French. I think TS means "existent".
Sorry, I guess I meant "extant" then. ;)

Am I the only one who thinks that GURPS Lite is the "Demo version", but then finds out that the demo is not much more than a screen shot of the controls but not the game itself?

Where is "Your First Adventure (Lite)" for those that have no extant (correct usage?) campaign? If adventures are only there to boost the sales of non-adventure supplements, this seems like a logical step that side-steps the philosophical and economical troubles that fill this thread. 10 good pages that show new GURPSers a) what the game is like, b) why they don't need further adventurers, c) that they can buy them anyway even if it doesn't say "GURPS 4E" on them, and maybe d) how Basic Set will make their game even more fun.

Regards
Ts

PS: I guess I'm offtopic, unless you have a very open (or easily distracted) mind. Still, there is some connection to those posts proposing suitable adventure settings for newcomers.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
But your suggestion about starting Lite (i.e. without a worldbook) is a good one.
Oops. Must have missed that, so there really wasn't the need for a second rant ... Yay, I have good ideas! *self-pat-on-the-shoulder* That's worth pointing out a second time, isn't it?

Last edited by Ts_; 10-28-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: horrible attention span
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #262
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts_ View Post
Sorry, I guess I meant "extant" then. ;)

Am I the only one who thinks that GURPS Lite is the "Demo version", but then finds out that the demo is not much more than a screen shot of the controls but not the game itself?

Where is "Your First Adventure (Lite)" for those that have no extant (correct usage?) campaign? If adventures are only there to boost the sales of non-adventure supplements, this seems like a logical step that side-steps the philosophical and economical troubles that fill this thread. 10 good pages that show new GURPSers a) what the game is like, b) why they don't need further adventurers, c) that they can buy them anyway even if it doesn't say "GURPS 4E" on them, and maybe d) how Basic Set will make their game even more fun.

Regards
Ts

PS: I guess I'm offtopic, unless you have a very open (or easily distracted) mind. Still, there is some connection to those posts proposing suitable adventure settings for newcomers.
The sample adventure? Caravan to Ein Arris. Free on e23. There are others as well, but that's the classic.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #263
Ts_

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
The sample adventure? Caravan to Ein Arris. Free on e23. There are others as well, but that's the classic.
Whoa, what? Why didn't anyone tell me? I read the forums and never realized it was a free adventure. I even checked the "samples" on e23 page but didn't see anything too useful on the "featured" page and left again. This has not been a good start for my forum career ...
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #264
mikeejimbo

I could see one good reason for a freelancer to write an Adventure. The Adventure outline is very specific, so it would provide a writer who doesn't have much of a relationship with SJG yet a very good idea of what they want, and can then use an Adventure to establish a relationship. This of course would probably only come after writing a few articles for Pyramid.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #265
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
* And it will get at least one sale! Thanks, Kuroshima! Feel free to comment on the wiki anytime!
I give credit where it is due, nothing else.

I've been curious about maptools for a LONG time, and Bruno's minotaur (mis)adventures were really fun to read. Your new campaign is also interesting. I haven't edited the wiki, because I feel that since I'm not a player, it isn't my place to write there. I don't really know what to add. Living on the European side of the pond has it's disadvantages. 8and that 6 hour difference is a killer)

On the publishing side, I wish you luck. I think that you've got the skill for it.

Keep the good work, you're an example for the rest of us!
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #266
Gigermann

In lieu of actual "published" material, I think a good start would be for these forums to have a sectioned-off area where folks can post their ongoing campaign synopses and whatnot; not for comment, necessarily, but for a repository of existing campaigns that less-industrious GMs can pirate to their hearts' glee. I've seen talk of several, here, that would be good fodder for others' use.

Note to forum gods ;)
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #267
opposedToGravity

Quote:
Maybe. But Steve Jackson has bet big before on things that he thought would appeal to large audiences: Yrth, Infinite Worlds, the Traveller 3I reboot.... So if you're right the problem is that his taste sucks. And your advice boils down to "have better ideas!"

Easier said than done.
guess so. personally i dont like yrth, infinite worlds or traveller. i like the concept of plane hopping, but more planescape style. however, in all these cases there was very limited support of campaign or scenarios. if yrth had a well supported infrastructure, i would play there.
same problem with THS. lots of background material, but no prefab campaigns. maybe most gurps players prefer a do-it-yourself approach, but this is very unfortunare. becasue the current polics is centered on this minority (in regard to all the gamers) and consequently only a very few might be attracted to this system.
opposedToGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #268
sgtcallistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
In lieu of actual "published" material, I think a good start would be for these forums to have a sectioned-off area where folks can post their ongoing campaign synopses and whatnot; not for comment, necessarily, but for a repository of existing campaigns that less-industrious GMs can pirate to their hearts' glee. I've seen talk of several, here, that would be good fodder for others' use.

Note to forum gods ;)
I second the motion.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #269
opposedToGravity

Quote:
SJ Games has already tried most of the things you suggest.
their approach always stopped on the way. they did well with THS, but they stopped. maybe instead of one or two background books they could have included one big ass campaign book. same with traveller. same with infinite worlds (which was supposed to be the official gurps world - but where did it go? nowhere).
if there was a steady stream of campaigns of losely connected adventure material for any of their background / genre books, then yes, it could work.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #270
opposedToGravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarf View Post
Call of Cthulhu is one of the few games that can support adventures. Like D&D, CoC offers a "core story", a simple archetypal adventure with a million and one variations. In D&D, it's the dungeon crawl. In CoC, it's the supernatural investigation. GURPS has nothing like it. However, both styles are available in GURPS.
the core story of gurps was meant to be infinite worlds, but they didnt finish it.

Tags
gurps revival