Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
xguild

Default The Old West: Advice Appriciated

Hello All

I'm getting ready to run a one shot Old West adventure for a big gaming event we are having in December. I have chosen to go with a less realistic "Movie" version of the west (thing Young Guns, Tombstone).

In any case I have the 1st edition GURPS suppliment called "old west" which covers the genre quite nicely but Im not really that experianced with the differences between older versions of GURPS and version 4. There doesn't appear to be a 4th edition version (only the 2nd edition) but I guess the questions are.

How do either of these editions stack up against 4th edition? Can I just use material like Guns and Equipment out of the book. Are the Gunslinger rules and shoot out rules of 1st or 2nd edition applicable to 4th edition? Any other suppliments you might recommend?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
xguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
chimchim

Default Re: The Old West: Advice Appriciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by xguild View Post
Hello All

I'm getting ready to run a one shot Old West adventure for a big gaming event we are having in December. I have chosen to go with a less realistic "Movie" version of the west (thing Young Guns, Tombstone).

In any case I have the 1st edition GURPS suppliment called "old west" which covers the genre quite nicely but Im not really that experianced with the differences between older versions of GURPS and version 4. There doesn't appear to be a 4th edition version (only the 2nd edition) but I guess the questions are.

How do either of these editions stack up against 4th edition? Can I just use material like Guns and Equipment out of the book. Are the Gunslinger rules and shoot out rules of 1st or 2nd edition applicable to 4th edition? Any other suppliments you might recommend?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
The equipment will be ok but the guns will need tweeking. However hitech for the 4th edition serves the period quite well for guns if you have that.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xguild View Post

? Can I just use material like Guns and Equipment out of the book. Are the Gunslinger rules and shoot out rules of 1st or 2nd edition applicable to 4th edition? .
The equipment is not much different and the differences in ACC and ROF for guns don't matter much in your situation where the guns tend to be low ROF and low ACC anyway.

The rules for Gunslinger are different in 4e but not worth adapting material for a one-shot. The research in the new High Tech is far more rigorous and the rules for gunhandling are much more detailed. They are expanded further in Gun Fu and Tactical Shooting but I doube you're currently looking for more detail.

For a one-shot, take your existing copy of Old West and run with it is my advice.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Anaraxes

According to the entry here, Old West was a 3e supplement. Each book also has its own numbering. There were two revisions of Old West, each apparently for 3e, but confusing called "first edition" and "second edition" -- but I think those numbers refer to Old West itself, not of the GURPS ruleset for which it was written.

So, Guidelines for converting from 3e to 4e can be downloaded from e23 for free.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Anaximander

I ran a western one-shot a while back and it was hella fun! I didn't allow the Gunslinger advantage and found the rules for Fanning and "Who Draws First?" out of Tactical Shooting added the most fun to the gunplay. Altogether, the action ended up being about single-action revolvers vs. double-barreled scatterguns and lever-acton rifles as well as mounted vs. unmounted shooters. There was also a fair measure of tomahawk throwing, knife fighting and fisticuffs thrown in (frontiersmen vs. indians vs. easterners and europeans). My game group and I have been talking about making a full campaign out of it ever since!
Anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
ULFGARD

I've run two old west campaigns, one in 3e and one in 4e. I had to cut the second off quite short, as I had a new baby to deal with. For a one shot, I'd use the stats unchanged in the old west supplement. For something ongoing, but with cinematic shooting, I would definitely pick up High Tech (and the upcoming High Tech: Adventure Guns), Gun Fu, and Tactical Shooting. Depending on how you wanted to run it, Power Ups 5: Impulse Buys might go a long way to capturing the cinematic.

It's a fun genre, IMO, and one that benefits greatly from lots of fuzzy cinematic treatments mixed in with occasional gritty realism. In other words, sometimes surviving a flash flood should be more difficult than surviving a gunfight. Other times, it should just be "something that happened." That tends to fit in well with much of the fiction that's out there. Though my first campaign was more realistic, the second more cinematic, both were fun!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Icelander

Some of the best Westerns are gritty and 'realistic', like the Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven and the series Deadwood.

I'm planning on a campaign with that tone in the next two or three years*, though whether it is going to be strictly realistic or gritty supernatural, I'll have to negotiate with the players.

*I've got a lot of campaign ideas and only limited playing time, so I'm forced to play one or two at a time, starting new ones only as I finish old ones.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

This thread may help.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
xguild

Thanks for all the advice and links everyone, that was extremly helpful, I think I'm well on my way to getting this event together.

I have to say for anyone planning on running a western that while old, after reading the old west (1st edition) I found it extremly enlightning and definitly still mostly applicable to 4th edition (or pretty much any edition for that matter).

Thanks again everyone.
xguild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinematic play, old west