Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2024, 11:33 AM   #781
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Seven: "The handler seems to stroke it a certain way, while holding it firmly. Maybe its trained. Maybe its instinct."


Florence: "Or a combination of the two, or genetic tinkering."



When will Julian start imitating the screamer again? or will he just travel?
That depends; if the next station is in the same line, then once I get there. If it's on a different line, once I get halfway there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Slam: "The KMA guy? how does he keep showing up?"
"Maybe KMA has their own way of tracking Astropics. I have learned unexplained screams."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:31 AM   #782
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
That depends; if the next station is in the same line, then once I get there. If it's on a different line, once I get halfway there.
Julian heads for a different line. The screams following him change direction ... it seems they don't need to hear him make the noise in order to tell where he is.



Seven: "They're mobilizing a lot of people. cops are moving to the entrances and exits of transit. Let me see if I can get the exact thing they're looking for"

Quote:
"Maybe KMA has their own way of tracking Astropics. I have learned unexplained screams."
Florence: "Two different kinds of Astropics? We haven't seen anything in Concordance records... But it does seem like more than a coincidence."


Seven: "He might be an agent for them. Just in the right place at the right time. Concordance records are harder for me to get into to. Maybe he's got a contract with them."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:31 PM   #783
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian heads for a different line. The screams following him change direction ... it seems they don't need to hear him make the noise in order to tell where he is.
Well I guess it's good news they haven't immediately caught up to me. "The seeker still can find me. I haven't made a noise but it's still following me."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Seven: "They're mobilizing a lot of people. cops are moving to the entrances and exits of transit. Let me see if I can get the exact thing they're looking for"
"Here's hoping it isn't me."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Florence: "Two different kinds of Astropics? We haven't seen anything in Concordance records... But it does seem like more than a coincidence."

Seven: "He might be an agent for them. Just in the right place at the right time. Concordance records are harder for me to get into to. Maybe he's got a contract with them."
Well surely if there's a leak things would have wrapped up way sooner.

Well, I suppose it could be a bizarre coincidence, powered by weirdness magnet. Doubt it though.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 09:59 AM   #784
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

The screamer hasn't caught up to him, but slam has, and is now shadowing him, appearing to be totally laid back... other than the fact he's actively people watching.

Julian passes the police into another transit line.

Seven: "The police have been told there is a military threat on the station. They'll be searching everyone as they get onto or off of transit."
Florence: "They won't find anything on Julian. Slam might have something."
Royal: "dispose of it. Slam can be dangerous with just his bare hands."
Seven: "It will slow you down though. We need an exit strategy."
Royal: "We might need to take out the screamer then."
Florence: "Told you."
Royal: "I'm still trying to see if we can get off the station!"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 11:11 AM   #785
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The screamer hasn't caught up to him, but slam has, and is now shadowing him, appearing to be totally laid back... other than the fact he's actively people watching.
I wonder if I could ever look so relaxed in a situation like this... Well, maybe I could if I wasn't getting screamed at every couple minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian passes the police into another transit line.

Seven: "The police have been told there is a military threat on the station. They'll be searching everyone as they get onto or off of transit."
"At least they've probably forgotten about a missing kid."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Florence: "They won't find anything on Julian. Slam might have something."
I take it that the communication device Julian's using is as suspicious as an iPhone (i.e. not)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Royal: "dispose of it. Slam can be dangerous with just his bare hands."
Seven: "It will slow you down though. We need an exit strategy."
Royal: "We might need to take out the screamer then."
... When I screamed at the the Starpus, they called it an attack. Only Pleasant Caller seemed to react to the attack, and he (?) was the one I was focused on. These screams, at a far range, are obviously not working on the Starpus. It stands to reason, that at a closer range a Scream can have more of an impact. So, if I was closer to this Screamer, I might be able to attack with more of an impact. If I tried really hard, I might even shut it up. But if I blow it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Florence: "Told you."
Royal: "I'm still trying to see if we can get off the station!"
OK, maybe that's a bit risky. Royal might be able to get me off the station. Maybe. If not... Well, I could try screaming at it to stop. Even a simple "go away" was enough to throw off the Screamers, but that might have only because I made a noise at it... Could this one be different? Someone is obviously getting the "where" from the Screamers.

An Astropic, dummy. No point trying to negotiate, or is there? Royal did plan on bribing a Concordance Astropic before they found me. Maybe, I could send the Astropic a message only they would hear, and then we could buy time or even persuade them to feed their side inaccurate information... Or maybe they'd be tipped off that they're chasing a person instead of a fish.

Do I really have a choice here? If Royal can't get me off the station, and negotiations fail, then... If I don't scream at the Screamer to death, Slam's probably going to shoot it. Am I really less responsible if I let someone else do the shooting? I'm so very tired...

I resolve to give Royal time to look into the escape plan before I give her my ideas. If escape is unworkable, I give Royal my suggestions: "I've been thinking, I might be able to communicate with the Astropic on the other end if there is one. Might only be one way, but maybe we could drop communication details and that might open the door to getting them look the other way? Or maybe I could try letting the Screamer get close, and try and scream it into being... Disabled. Yeah, disabled."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 09:42 AM   #786
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"At least they've probably forgotten about a missing kid."
Royal: "They won't have the bandwidth to check records. They're desperate. This is a massive effort"
Seven: "We're feeling a little pinched ourselves."
Royal: "Don't worry about the search. They're looking for something you don't have."
Seven: "And tell them you're on the way to see your friend Jorgen Wight when they ask for why you're on the bus."


Quote:
I take it that the communication device Julian's using is as suspicious as an iPhone (i.e. not)
Correct.


Its the police that check Julian as he gets off. Its a physical pat-down as well as a scan. They indeed ask where he is going, though Julian doesn't see them write it down. Seven tells him to avoid public transportation... he's got a new route to get back to the tanks.



Quote:
I resolve to give Royal time to look into the escape plan before I give her my ideas. If escape is unworkable, I give Royal my suggestions: "I've been thinking, I might be able to communicate with the Astropic on the other end if there is one. Might only be one way, but maybe we could drop communication details and that might open the door to getting them look the other way? Or maybe I could try letting the Screamer get close, and try and scream it into being... Disabled. Yeah, disabled."

Royal: "Yeah, they're shutting everything down-- external launches and public transportation. We're going to have to get rid of the screamer."


Royal: "What do you mean by communication details? What are you proposing to do?*"


*The GM is also not sure what the "communicate with the astropic plan" entails.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:37 AM   #787
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its the police that check Julian as he gets off. Its a physical pat-down as well as a scan. They indeed ask where he is going, though Julian doesn't see them write it down. Seven tells him to avoid public transportation... he's got a new route to get back to the tanks.
Could I tell if the people ahead of me in line were having anything written down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Royal: "Yeah, they're shutting everything down-- external launches and public transportation. We're going to have to get rid of the screamer."

Royal: "What do you mean by communication details? What are you proposing to do?*"

*The GM is also not sure what the "communicate with the astropic plan" entails.
"OK, so even though I'm not a regular Astropic, regular Astropics can hear the Starpus, Screamers, and so on. Despite Astropic 'hearing' or 'speaking' not being audio, it seems to have a lot of similarities to audio, like I perceive a Screamer as audio, Gentle Arms thought I was really loud, and so on."

"The Screamer is determining the location of me by some means, but that's pointless unless the user has some way of learning that location from the Screamer. I think the most plausible answer is that the person with this Screamer is an Astropic themselves, and they're getting a location on me the same way I can guess where the Screamer is."

"When I screamed at the Screamer, the Astropic wielding it probably heard my cry. They probably thought little of it, on account of it being noise. Now, my idea is instead of just screaming out random noise, I try screaming out meaningful information, like some communication address. If they hear it, they might decide to get in touch. I seriously doubt that they expect to hear from an Astropic. From there, we could try to feed them meaningless information, bribe them to giving up or calling it a false alarm, or whatever."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM   #788
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Could I tell if the people ahead of me in line were having anything written down?
No, nothing was written down for them either...


Quote:
"OK, so even though I'm not a regular Astropic, regular Astropics can hear the Starpus, Screamers, and so on. Despite Astropic 'hearing' or 'speaking' not being audio, it seems to have a lot of similarities to audio, like I perceive a Screamer as audio, Gentle Arms thought I was really loud, and so on."

"The Screamer is determining the location of me by some means, but that's pointless unless the user has some way of learning that location from the Screamer. I think the most plausible answer is that the person with this Screamer is an Astropic themselves, and they're getting a location on me the same way I can guess where the Screamer is."

"When I screamed at the Screamer, the Astropic wielding it probably heard my cry. They probably thought little of it, on account of it being noise. Now, my idea is instead of just screaming out random noise, I try screaming out meaningful information, like some communication address. If they hear it, they might decide to get in touch. I seriously doubt that they expect to hear from an Astropic. From there, we could try to feed them meaningless information, bribe them to giving up or calling it a false alarm, or whatever."
Royal: "does that check out Florence?"
Florence: "Its not what I would have expected, but its within the realm of possibility"
Royal: "Seven, what can you tell me about the screamer's handler?"
Seven: "As in identification? She's concordance, she's dressed as security... give me a moment... yeah... a bit more... Her name is Rena Yu. She's employed as 'Astropic Security', and... give me a moment to find this... yeah, she's astropic. "
Royal: "See if you can contact Rena. Start with her name. Show that we know who she is, that should help scare her into engaging rather than just passing on the information. Keep walking, see if you can build a repoire. Don't let her know who you are."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:26 AM   #789
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Royal: "does that check out Florence?"
Florence: "Its not what I would have expected, but its within the realm of possibility"
Royal: "Seven, what can you tell me about the screamer's handler?"
Seven: "As in identification? She's concordance, she's dressed as security... give me a moment... yeah... a bit more... Her name is Rena Yu. She's employed as 'Astropic Security', and... give me a moment to find this... yeah, she's astropic. "
Royal: "See if you can contact Rena. Start with her name. Show that we know who she is, that should help scare her into engaging rather than just passing on the information. Keep walking, see if you can build a repoire. Don't let her know who you are."
"Do we have eyes on her? There's only so much 'we know everything' with just her name."

Then I guess I'll proceed on with getting her talking... "Reena Yu."

I wonder if I can do voices. [with a spooky vibrato] "Reena Yu-uuuuuu."

I go back to a normal voice. "Reena Yu. We see you. Quit it with the screamer."

Julian will give up after the third attempt. If not, then I'll add a fast-talk roll.
Quote:
[171] 24-01-17 05:48:45 CET
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 13
4 + 2 + 4 = 10 ... success

Last edited by TGLS; 01-16-2024 at 09:49 PM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:07 AM   #790
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Do we have eyes on her? There's only so much 'we know everything' with just her name."
Seven: "I've got a camera on her, more or less. for now. I'm dragging up more personal information... its hard on concordance personnel. Last place she was stationed was Yukor, a settlement around three frozen moons."


Quote:
Then I guess I'll proceed on with getting her talking... "Reena Yu."

I wonder if I can do voices. [with a spooky vibrato] "Reena Yu-uuuuuu."

I go back to a normal voice. "Reena Yu. We see you. Quit it with the screamer."
Julian doesn't hear any response...
Seven: "Did you just do it? she's looking around confused."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.