Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2024, 12:43 PM   #301
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

I generally prefer to roleplay than make will rolls for things not related to specific disadvantages and whatnot, but some kind of will roll may be called for...

If Peter walks off on his own without his alien troop, he is probably going to relax the guard on his composure enough to let in the creeping existential horror of all this and freak out to the verge of a panic attack.

He's running on adrenaline and bravado... and it's running out.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:08 AM   #302
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Matrix was asking about Standard Magic and lost in dreams...

When I started lost in dreams the plan was to not use the standard magic system. This has changed, but that means some of the things I was glad to not have to work out now need to be worked out.

At the very least, Dreamwalkers will ignore magery requirements for learning spells. I might consider them to just have magery 3 for the purposes of the standard magic system, but I haven't decided yet.

Matrix has shown particular interest in recover energy, given Peter's fondness for a spell that spends 10 ER to create a puff of smoke (never thought that would be so useful) . This will be a 5 point advantage that's basically the counterpart to Fit.

Matrix has also asked about ignoring the prerequiste chain. I'll think about this. The idea is that Dreamwalkers are naturally good with magic, but that's usually done by granting expensive powers-based magic and a skill-based magic won't work quite like that.

On the other hand, this is our first really unchained magic system that can do almost anything other than maybe whatever the gods use (but that's much more energy hungry and they basically don't use it at the moment). That's probably covered by asking for a different skill for each spell though. It might be worth using ritual magic (with the penalties being based on magery prereq rather than prereq chain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I generally prefer to roleplay than make will rolls for things not related to specific disadvantages and whatnot, but some kind of will roll may be called for...

If Peter walks off on his own without his alien troop, he is probably going to relax the guard on his composure enough to let in the creeping existential horror of all this and freak out to the verge of a panic attack.

He's running on adrenaline and bravado... and it's running out.
You do not need to roll will in order to roleplay a mental breakdown.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:00 PM   #303
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Matrix was asking about Standard Magic and lost in dreams...
And perhaps I'm jumping the gun... Peter has not yet encountered Yrths magic. But I wanted to have a framework ready for if he does. Hopefully he meets someone willing to apprentice him.
Quote:
At the very least, Dreamwalkers will ignore magery requirements for learning spells. I might consider them to just have magery 3 for the purposes of the standard magic system, but I haven't decided yet.
I have always been surprised that Magery was not on the dreamer template, but then I've always assumed it contained secrets. It is explained by your original intention of not using the basic magic system.

Quote:
Matrix has shown particular interest in recover energy, given Peter's fondness for a spell that spends 10 ER to create a puff of smoke (never thought that would be so useful) . This will be a 5 point advantage that's basically the counterpart to Fit.
Noted. So that would be the 5 minute recovery akin to skill 15?

Since I usually use it for smoke anyway, maybe I'll just take an incense censer accessory power-perk instead so that he's mastered that one.

Quote:
Matrix has also asked about ignoring the prerequiste chain. I'll think about this. The idea is that Dreamwalkers are naturally good with magic, but that's usually done by granting expensive powers-based magic and a skill-based magic won't work quite like that.

On the other hand, this is our first really unchained magic system that can do almost anything other than maybe whatever the gods use (but that's much more energy hungry and they basically don't use it at the moment). That's probably covered by asking for a different skill for each spell though. It might be worth using ritual magic (with the penalties being based on magery prereq rather than prereq chain).
Aside of clarifying your general intent for dreamers...

I would enjoy Peter having an added level a savant-ism related to his always trying to combine the things he learns about the different flavors of the supernatural, so what we choose to do with Peter here does not have to be a standard setting precedent for dreamers, and rather can something special to him.

Quote:
You do not need to roll will in order to roleplay a mental breakdown.
True enough! Luckily the pressure lightened considerably with Chorniveebi's last statement.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:07 PM   #304
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
When I started lost in dreams the plan was to not use the standard magic system. This has changed, but that means some of the things I was glad to not have to work out now need to be worked out.

At the very least, Dreamwalkers will ignore magery requirements for learning spells. I might consider them to just have magery 3 for the purposes of the standard magic system, but I haven't decided yet.

Matrix has also asked about ignoring the prerequiste chain. I'll think about this. The idea is that Dreamwalkers are naturally good with magic, but that's usually done by granting expensive powers-based magic and a skill-based magic won't work quite like that.
Well, just directly comparing to Vasic Operation:

VO (Energy Stone): 1 Minute to "cast", usable at melee ranges, no energy needed, 1 cp to generate enough heat to boil water or light a dark room at IQ-1.

Magic by the spell: 1 second to cast, usable at short distances, energy needed, mana effects, 3 cp to generate a light as bright as a candle, create a fire and either seek a source of fire or start a fire at IQ+1.

Magic by the college: per Magic by the Spell, 1 cp to create a fire at IQ-1 and shoot a flame jet from their fingies at IQ-3, 1 cp to create a light as bright as a candle at IQ and turn invisible at IQ-6.

Given how many restrictions that standard magic gets compared to other systems, I think "magic by the college" is fairly priced. I'm less sure about allowing taking spells without prereqs. Like, for the examples I gave, it's fairly priced. On the other hand, invisibility at 2 cp instead of 7 cp seems unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Matrix has shown particular interest in recover energy, given Peter's fondness for a spell that spends 10 ER to create a puff of smoke
That's the whole ER reserve, right?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:31 AM   #305
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Danny conspicuously looks Peter up and down. "You lived on island?" He sounds skeptical. "Maybe. Maybe in big nice house."
Julian: "I wouldn't say it was a 'nice' house."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:44 AM   #306
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Julian: "I wouldn't say it was a 'nice' house."
Julian would have a very different relationship with these people.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:37 PM   #307
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian would have a very different relationship with these people.
Oh, sure. I figured as much. I just find some things said in the Peter's thread just perfectly cued up.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:43 AM   #308
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He has a much lower dose of medicine that night. And that night, he dreams... not of nightmares, but really dreams....

OCC: Loading screen here. The dream will be in a new post.
Thus concludes 2023-03-03? / 3417-02-28 (a week from the Telekinesis day). Funny that this is going to look like Julian hated conditions here and somehow escaped when (as elaborated on in his diary) he felt like he shouldn't have blown up like that and felt bad about it.

ED: Moved to right thread.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:38 AM   #309
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian would have a very different relationship with these people.
Maybe Julian is about to get banestormed too! Then we'll find out!
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 02:09 PM   #310
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

I will be very slow posting for the next week. Thank you for your patience, and see you on the other side!
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ericthered, friendpmcii, lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.