Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Snoman314

Default [Spaceships] Idea for new system: VLS

Decided this had deviated enough to justify a new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I agree, but that's fine, because, as I said, there's very little to no reason to use the normal system.

You can still use it if you want a ridiculous number of reloads, of course - with that same SM+7 major battery, you could have a 30 shot VLS in two major batteries or you could have a single launch tube and 45 reloads in one major battery and one cargo hold. It's not particularly useful, but you can still do it. It's also easier to reload than a VLS.

Why would you want to balance it in regards to the normal, non-VLS method, anyways? Non-VLS missiles suck in comparison to VLS missiles in real life, which is why the US Navy stopped using. The only thing better than a VLS system is a hardpoint, where the missile is on the outside of the ship and doesn't even need a seperate launching mechanism. It'll be an exposed system, but it'll also be able to carry twice as many missiles as a VLS system.
When I said you made sense logically, I meant that what you say makes sense given real-world considerations. I'm trying to ignore that and add a reasonably balanced variation on the missile system, that can fit within the existing rules. I don't want to redesign the whole spaceships design system. (Although I'm a fan of the work done with regards to arbitrary sized ships).
With that in mind, I'll try to analyse it a bit more from a balance point of view (while shutting my eyes, sticking my fingers in my ears and going LALALALALALALALA with regards the realism).

So, having a VLS allows the ship to fire missiles more rapidly. Lets say that it allows you to fire however many missiles it carries in no more than one game turn, regardless of length (so 20 seconds).
This would convey an advantage, as it allows more/multiple targets to be engaged simultaneously, and improves the odds of overwhelming defensive fire.
I want this to be an option that isn't clearly better or worse than the existing system, so a disadvantage is required. The options I can think of, but I'm open to other ideas:
- Ammo capacity is smaller than the existing type of system
- Can't be reloaded from within the ship. Routine to reload in dock, at standard freight handling rates. Requires an EVA to reload from cargo in space, rolling against freight handling, hazardous materials, armoury(Heavy Weapons), Piloting(high/low-performance spacecraft) if using a tender/auxiliary with arms or something, or limited by freefall/vacc-suit if in suits. Maybe even a long task.
- That's all I got for disadvantages.

Now it will depend on the setting as to whether more or less ammo is required to balance things, but I think some value can be arrived at, after all it can be said that the usefulness of missiles at all is setting dependent. So for that reason some suggestions would be especially welcome here.
I suggested half the number of shots in the thread where I first mentioned this, but that was a complete pluck. I havn't played enough space battles to get a feel for what would be suitable. I'm hoping for suggesttions here.
Snoman314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: [Spaceships] Idea for new system: VLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman314 View Post
So, having a VLS allows the ship to fire missiles more rapidly.
What it would actually do is permit firing missiles from any part of the ship, not just the part of the ship facing the target. VLS improves firepower of surface ships because most of the surface area of a ship is up, not sideways.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
What it would actually do is permit firing missiles from any part of the ship, not just the part of the ship facing the target. VLS improves firepower of surface ships because most of the surface area of a ship is up, not sideways.
That's only an improvement if you're going by the (fairly ridiculous) Spaceships 1 rule that weapon facing matters for missiles. Spaceships 3 negated that.

VLS is perhaps not the best term for it, but the concept of individually-packed missiles instead of magazine-fed tubes seems clear enough.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
VLS is perhaps not the best term for it, but the concept of individually-packed missiles instead of magazine-fed tubes seems clear enough.
Try MRLS, VLS is just an MRLS where the missiles can turn sideways after launch. I don't think I've ever used the Spaceships combat system so I haven't paid attention to it, but for 'realistic' space combat it's generally appropriate (particularly if turn length exceeds 20 seconds) to assume that you can dump your entire missile bay in a single tactical turn.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Try MRLS, VLS is just an MRLS where the missiles can turn sideways after launch. I don't think I've ever used the Spaceships combat system so I haven't paid attention to it, but for 'realistic' space combat it's generally appropriate (particularly if turn length exceeds 20 seconds) to assume that you can dump your entire missile bay in a single tactical turn.
MRLS, on the other hand, is a worse term for it, because that's the name of a specific weapon system rather than a general type. And it's not even evocative of the right type, because the launch cells almost certainly would be oriented like in a VLS system, firing out of cells inset in the ship's hull. The only real problem with calling it that is that 'vertical' is badly defined in space.

And whatever may be realistic, Spaceships standard assumptions are drastically to the contrary. You need 5 20 second rounds to empty the smallest missile magazines, and the largest launchers sustain 100 minutes of continuous firing.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
MRLS, on the other hand, is a worse term for it, because that's the name of a specific weapon system rather than a general type.
Would you prefer MRL? It's not like VLS isn't a pretty specific term too.
Quote:
And whatever may be realistic, Spaceships standard assumptions are drastically to the contrary. You need 5 20 second rounds to empty the smallest missile magazines, and the largest launchers sustain 100 minutes of continuous firing.
This is probably an example of spaceships choosing a dramatic version of reality. The problem with realistic launch behavior is that it's stupefyingly boring: you do a mass launch of missiles and either the target stops them all with point defense (and is unscratched) or point defense is overwhelmed and the target ceases to exist.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
This is probably an example of spaceships choosing a dramatic version of reality. The problem with realistic launch behavior is that it's stupefyingly boring: you do a mass launch of missiles and either the target stops them all with point defense (and is unscratched) or point defense is overwhelmed and the target ceases to exist.
Well that's not something that is, or could be, addressed by magazine to launch rate ratios. The key there is that there's no room between stopping all incoming and shattered wreckage, which Spaceships pretty much upholds, at least for moderate sized ships. A single missile fragment may not kill your ship, but it'll pretty surely ruin your day.

The magazine size means you can launch another (and another) all-or-nothing barrage, but missile defense is largely a save-or-die exercise.

If it's nothing but an artifact, it might be an artifact of trying to balance PD beams against missiles.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
Diomedes

Quote:
Would you prefer MRL? It's not like VLS isn't a pretty specific term too.
Perhaps something like ILC, for Independent Launch Cells?
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Snoman314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Perhaps something like ILC, for Independent Launch Cells?
I hadn't spent a whole lot of cycles thinking about the name, as its the concept thats the important part, but maybe something like Multiple Launch Missile Array/Battery MLMA?

As mentioned above, currently the largest missile systems can take a really long time to empty, and I tend to find that combat is over pretty quickly. I embrace the whole egshells-armed-with-sledgehammers feel of spaceships, as real life combat tends to be like that and will probably only get to be more so. I tend to put PC ships up against the Spaceships equivalent of Mooks, but even then, as it's spaceship combat, if the PCs screw up badly they could still get vaporised.
However, for those that point out that this could tend towards a battle between PD and the largest possible salvo:
-Firstly, yeah? and?
-Secondly, I'm mostly planning to use spaceships to string together ground missions on isolated planetary outposts. The ships fight their way into a system (jump point), then fight to dominate orbit, then to maintain orbital dominance. Small fights, but more than one and with little time between them. This means little to no time to reload hull mounted launch cells (unrealisticly fast/high dV to zip around in system).
With those setting assumptions, it becomes very important for ships to not blow their wad too early by using up all their ammo. This would become an even greater concern when missiles cant be reloaded from cargo easily.
-Thirdly, using a couple of tertiary batteries can have same effect. An MLMA would tend away from this slightly, for the reason I gave in my second point.

Messing around with it some more I feel like the ammo should be no less than half the normal amount, and not more than .75-.8 normal.

And yeah I'm going with Spaceships 3 rules that missiles aren't limited by facing anyway.
Snoman314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman314 View Post
However, for those that point out that this could tend towards a battle between PD and the largest possible salvo:
-Firstly, yeah? and?
And this doesn't lend to particularly interesting fights. Depending on the specific role of spaceships in your campaign, you may or may not care, but if you don't care there's little reason to invoke the space combat rules at all.

Tags
spaceships