Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
2dope

Default Any MERP or Tolkien Quest conversions out there?

I just want to be able to use the books that are available (for the plot) and replace the combat/skill checks to TFT when applicable. Any pointers appreciated.
2dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Any MERP or Tolkien Quest conversions out there?

I've run several campaigns in Middle Earth using TFT. I'm not sure how to answer the question about conversion; I tend to simply use TFT as is (plus or minus the usual rogue's gallery of house rules) except we're playing in Middle Earth instead of Cidri. Arquebuses and boomarangs are a bit thinner on the ground than in your standard Cidri campaign, but otherwise there is nothing special about it. I generally do not try to make 1:1 conversions of stats for PCs and NPCs; rather, I fill in with what I think is appropriate. When I did the same thing with GURPS this felt a little time consuming because it takes a bit of effort to keep track of everyone's advantages, disadvantages and skills. But an experienced GM can stat out someone for TFT in very little time.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
enelsonmo

Just for grins how would Strider stat out and then Aragorn? What about Shelob (?)? And for extra points Elric, the last king of Melnibone?
enelsonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:24 AM   #4
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by enelsonmo View Post
Just for grins how would Strider stat out and then Aragorn? What about Shelob (?)? And for extra points Elric, the last king of Melnibone?
Those are fun sorts of questions. I don't have stats for those particular people/gross spiders on hand because I wrote up NPCs as I went rather than creating a big compendium in advance (I'm not a fan of 'white room' sorts of setting design so I tend to just focus on what's in front of the players). I'd be happy to write them up off the cuff, but wouldn't it be more fun to wait a couple of weeks and do it using the revised system?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
brettd

From my POV, it is Stormbringer that matters:

Starts as unusually fine quality Bastard Sword +2Dx,+2Dam.

Sword's + for Dx and Dam both go up by +2 for every IQ7+ foe slain. Wielder gets +2 Str for every IQ 7+ foe slain (cures fatigue first, then wounds, then any other loss, then adds to character's Str attribute, increasing it). All bonuses dissipate at 1 point per 12 turns after combat is over.
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
larsdangly

The Young Kingdoms is such a great setting for roleplaying! I wrote up a set of summoning and binding spells for TFT, inspired by these books and the old Chaosium game.

As for your Stormbringer stats, I think there are three behaviors in the books that could be added: 1) Elric gains vitality from just having it on him or holding it even when he hasn't recently slain someone, at least in most circumstances. 2) Stormbringer influences his behavior, and often does things of its own will (or forces Elric to perform quick subconscious actions). And 3) Stormbringer can be sated, and doesn't seem to give Elric a DX of 100+ (whatever that would mean...) in big battles. So, while it becomes stronger as it takes souls, its powers don't seem to scale linearly forever.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
platimus

You guys are making me want to read the Elric books.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettd View Post
Sword's + for Dx and Dam both go up by +2 for every IQ7+ foe slain. Wielder gets +2 Str for every IQ 7+ foe slain
Why move by 2s instead of +1 per slain foe?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
Bestial Warlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The Young Kingdoms is such a great setting for roleplaying! I wrote up a set of summoning and binding spells for TFT, inspired by these books and the old Chaosium game.

As for your Stormbringer stats, I think there are three behaviors in the books that could be added: 1) Elric gains vitality from just having it on him or holding it even when he hasn't recently slain someone, at least in most circumstances. 2) Stormbringer influences his behavior, and often does things of its own will (or forces Elric to perform quick subconscious actions). And 3) Stormbringer can be sated, and doesn't seem to give Elric a DX of 100+ (whatever that would mean...) in big battles. So, while it becomes stronger as it takes souls, its powers don't seem to scale linearly forever.
Would you be willing to share those write up's? If not can I send angry villagers with pitchforks and torches after you?
Bestial Warlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
larsdangly

Once the PDF for ITL is released I will start distributing a few several-page packages of material from my old house rules. The whole thing is extensive and filled with things that are sure to be inconsistent with the new edition, so I'm going to pluck out coherent chunks, like the new summoning and binding spells, revise them to be consistent with any changes in the new edition, and present them as modules. One will cover summoning and familiars; another will cover naughty magic (basically, spells and items adapted from Call of Cthulhu, Dragonquest and the black magic section of 1E Chivalry and Sorcery); another will cover necromancy. Each will contain ~20 spells and/or items.