Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2022, 09:33 PM   #11
Pursuivant

Default Re: GURPS Sector General

Variation: Decadent Citizen
Spoiler:  

Variation: Heroic Citizen

Spoiler:  
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:59 PM   #12
Pursuivant

Monitor Corps Technician

Monitor Corps Technicians are responsible for maintenance of Monitor Corps ships and equipment, including Sector General.

They actually outnumber medical personnel aboard Sector General and work constantly behind the scenes to keep the space station running.

Description
Spoiler:  

Template
Spoiler:  

Variation: Sector General Technician
This variation represents a Monitor Corps technician serving aboard Sector General.

Spoiler:  
Old 08-25-2022, 07:09 PM   #13
Pursuivant

Monitor Corpsman

Monitor Corpsmen are the galaxy's police, soldiers, spies, and explorers. Different divisions perform everything from space traffic control to alien first contact.

Description
Spoiler:  

Template
Spoiler:  

Variation: Cultural Contact Division Officer

Spoiler:  

Variation: Medic
Spoiler:  
Old 08-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #14
Pursuivant

Nidian (DBDG) (Nidia, Milky Way Galaxy)

Nidians are ill-tempered, teddy bear-like aliens. They were one of the first species discovered by Earth-Humans.

Their low template cost and lack of defining psychological or physiological limitations makes them a good choice for player characters. Their lack of ST limits their usefulness as fighters, however.

Description
Spoiler:  

Template
Spoiler:  
Old 08-25-2022, 07:37 PM   #15
Pursuivant

Orligian (DBDG) (Orligia, Milky Way Galaxy)

Orligians are very similar in appearance to Nidians, but are considerably taller. Due to their high ST, they make good fighters, but are suitable for just about any role. Along with Nidians and Earth-Humans, they make up the bulk of the Monitor Corps space fleet personnel.

Long ago, Earth-Humans fought one of the very few interstellar wars against the Orligians, due to a tragic misunderstanding brought about by the fact that humans bear an uncanny resemblance to an Orligian predator known to feed on children.

They bear some uncanny similarities to a certain large, hirsute species native to the planet Kashyyyk in a galaxy far, far away, but James White did them first.

Description
Spoiler:  

Template
Spoiler:  

Edit: Fixed mistake with template.

Variation: Historical Orligian

Description
Spoiler:  

Template
Spoiler:  

Variation: Juvenile
Spoiler:  

Last edited by Pursuivant; 08-27-2022 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:53 PM   #16
Pursuivant

And the star of the show . . .

Sector 12 General Hospital Class Space Station

Sector 12 General Hospital is a massive space station built over a period of decades, both as the galaxy’s premier multispecies hospital and as a monument to interspecies solidarity.

This template pays lip service to GURPS Starship design, but takes considerable liberties with the system in order to cope with the inconsistent descriptions of both Sector General and its technology. (Mr. White clearly thought that in-universe continuity was one of those high-falutin professional writer tricks . . .)

Basically, it's a humongous, overcrowded, space-going multi-species hospital which can be turned into a formidable military space station with suitable preparation.

Crew requirements are based on canon descriptions and reasonable guesses as to patient-staff ratios. From there, minimum space required per person was used to calculate approximate volume and dimensions. Many systems described in this template aren't in continuous use, but exist as backup equipment in case the station is somehow cut off from resupply.

Spoiler:  

Notes
Spoiler:  
Old 08-26-2022, 04:41 AM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
This template pays lip service to GURPS Starship design, but takes considerable liberties with the system in order to cope with the inconsistent descriptions of both Sector General and its technology. (Mr. White clearly thought that in-universe continuity was one of those high-falutin professional writer tricks . . .)
I met Jim a few times. His writing was about ideas and people, not numbers. The whole series can be considered as a protest against the politics of Northern Ireland.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:16 AM   #18
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I met Jim a few times. His writing was about ideas and people, not numbers. The whole series can be considered as a protest against the politics of Northern Ireland.
I love his writing and I deeply understand his point of view, otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much time converting into an RPG.

[Rant]
But, you'd think that he would have made some simple sketches and diagrams of important species and bits of gear and kept a notebook of character sketches.
Admittedly, not every writer is J.R.R. Tolkein or J.K. Rowling, with thousands of pages of in-universe history and background material that never sees print, but there are limits.

Things like how many wings Prilicla has or what various minor species look like vary from book to book, and the number of Monitor Corps personnel with the surname "Williams" makes one think of the Welsh/Irish village joke ("Oh, it's Jones/Murphy the Spy you're wanting!").

And, even though she appears in just about every book in the series, Murchison, the one female human character, never gets a given name or a back story, has randomly shifting hair color, and is primarily defined by her breast size. This despite the fact that she's a member of an elite space rescue team when she isn't working as a senior scientist at the galaxy's premier medical institution. Yeah, it's sort of cute the first time that a Kelgian asks how she manages to walk without falling over, but it doesn't age well.[/Rant]

I get that White was nearly blind, so probably not big on visual aids, but you won't believe the amount of time I've spent trying to fix continuity holes.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:07 PM   #19
SydneyFreedberg

Thanks for writing these up — these are some neat aliens, especially the candid fuzzy caterpillars, and your description makes me want to read the series. I will say that I find the format confusing : the way optional traits are mixed in with mandatory ones makes it harder to see at a glance what the essential nature of the species is like. I’m also curious how the Orligians can have the “missing finger” disadvantage, which implies they normally have five but all lost a finger in a species-wide wood shop accident….
SydneyFreedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #20
Refplace

Rather wish I still had my books for this series.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alien, races, racial templates, sector general, species