Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
Kristoffer

Default Spell or Advantage resisted by Vision.

I am wondering how much worth an enschancement for a power or spell would be that is resisted by Vision.

It could be someone cast a caltrops spell that causes direct damage to the subject if they don't notice the little caltrop and accidentally steps on it. I could just use Based on Perception +20%, but what do you guys think it would be if it was based on Vision? The Attack itself is not delivered through vision, but resisted by it. I would think it would cost more, as peoples vision more often would be penalized by things such as darkness, than a pure perception roll.

+30%? Blinded foes would basically not be able to resist.
Kristoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Spell or Advantage resisted by Vision.

Vision is just a special case of a Perception roll (as would be Hearing, Feeling, etc). It's not a separate mechanism. There's no such thing as a "pure Perception roll" -- Per rolls can be penalized just like Vision.

If the intent is to have an ability that can _only_ be perceived by Vision -- that is, it's inaudible, untouchable, etc. -- I'd just treat it as variant of Low/No Signature. Given that the primary detecting sense for humans is vision, "Vision Only" isn't much of a restriction. So I'd probably just go with the book costs and just note it as a signature that's only visible, but not to the other senses.

If the intent is just to allow a resistance roll against an attack that doesn't normally have one, just use Resistible (B115). You could make that "Based on Per" instead of HT -- and, as above, just note it as "Vision".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote