Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Anders

Default The Apple of Discord

What kind of powers would the famous Apple of Discord, the Eris Apple, from Greek myth have? The apple looks like a normal specimen, apart from being made of gold and having the words "ΤΗΙ ΚΑΛΛΙΣΤΗΙ" (for the fairest [female]) on it. Presumably any woman who sees the apple is struck by desire to have it, and only the fact that three of the greatest Olympian goddesses wanted it prompted other women at Peleus's wedding to shut up and complain about it on the way home. (On a side note, if Eris is still active I expect her to be the goddess of Internet trolls - this was an epic* act of trolling).

* in the true sense of the word
Old 07-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: The Apple of Discord

Grants the 'Delusion: Must attain this Apple!'? Would have modifiers Cosmic (Affects Even the Gods Themselves!) which must be +300% and then Affects Female Only.

Not sure Delusion is right though.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
mikeejimbo

Obsession might be a better fit. Though I think maybe the Apple doesn't have any powers, but everyone in the myth has Jealousy and Delusion: I'm the Fairest.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
Obsession might be a better fit. Though I think maybe the Apple doesn't have any powers, but everyone in the myth has Jealousy and Delusion: I'm the Fairest.
As a holy object of a goddess I would give it powers. I think these interpretations are a little on the nose though. Personally I'd make the focus of an always on Suggestion "I have to win!" and an inscription that shifts to match circumstances to whatever would cause the most conflict. For the strongest. For the fastest. For the most brilliant...
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
PTTG

I'd say the apple inflicts a heavy (but not extreme) will penalty that ignores all defenses.

Thus, mortal women would certainly feel whatever Greed, Overconfidence, or Vanity disadvantages they might happen to have, but wouldn't think they could overcome goddesses for it.

As a special effect, the GM may rule that it also inflates quirks to full-blown disadvantages for its effects.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:29 AM   #6
whswhs

I don't believe that the apple had any special magical qualities. It was an extremely beautiful apple, perhaps Transcendent, but the important thing about it was the label, "Kallisti," "for the most beautiful." That was brilliantly calculated to stir up dissension among the three goddesses, but I think all that took was Eris's special psychological insight.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

It causes you to reincarnated as a precious Mao button in the region of Thud.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It causes you to reincarnated as a precious Mao button in the region of Thud.
But only if you collect all 23 of them.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't believe that the apple had any special magical qualities. It was an extremely beautiful apple, perhaps Transcendent, but the important thing about it was the label, "Kallisti," "for the most beautiful." That was brilliantly calculated to stir up dissension among the three goddesses, but I think all that took was Eris's special psychological insight.
I'm with Bill on this. I'm also not a fan of saying "everything must have stats"; that way lies AD&D and gods who could be killed by parties nowhere near the peak of their potential. Eris' golden apple was a plot device, not a collection of numbers.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I'm with Bill on this. I'm also not a fan of saying "everything must have stats"; that way lies AD&D and gods who could be killed by parties nowhere near the peak of their potential. Eris' golden apple was a plot device, not a collection of numbers.
Possibly even a later plot device. The oldest surviving reference to this myth (two lines about a page into Book 24 of the Illiad) doesn't mention the setup story, just Paris humiliating two goddesses by preferring the bribe offered by the third, with no mention of the apple (or Eris for that matter). One assumes this was a story well known to the audience of the Illiad, or it wouldn't be that casual a reference, but with more than half a millennium for the details to have changed before there are any other sources, which conflict anyway, who knows what they thought the story was.

Tags
artifact, mythology