Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Classic Uncle Sam

Default The Age Of Broadcast RPGs

I am increasingly impressed with how many tabletop RPGs are being broadcast on Twitch. The vast majority are D&D based games. There are a lot of popular weekly games, Critical Role probably being the leader in viewers.

This Friday and Saturday Dungeons and Dragons will be having their "Stream of Annihilation" with a bunch of live-stream personalities all partaking in some dice rolling. I caught a picture of the set on Twitter and it definitely looks like a good deal of effort is being put into the production.

So we're officially in the era of broadcast RPGs. I would say that this is good and it will naturally bring people into the hobby. Bound to have more people try it once at least. But I still wonder, is this rise in popularity more for viewing entertainment purposes?

What say you, forum? Are these RPG streams merely a fad that won't do much for the hobby in the long run or is it the wave of the future that has only just begun?
Old 06-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: The Age Of Broadcast RPGs

I'd go with 'not a fad, and also not going to change much'. There are a zillion low viewership streams out there. A sudden 'hit' stream would make a difference, but isn't very likely.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Most of the video recordings of play sessions I've seen (mainly on YouTube, not Twitch) were... not very watchable, even when they were intended to demo a system. RPGs as usually played are not a spectator sport.

The main exception I can think of was one recording of a D&D game involving Wil Wheaton -- apparently he and some friends have been known to play in front of an audience as a form of entertainment at cons. Also, Wil again in a recent episode of Tabletop featuring the Fate Core system. Note that in both cases it's not a normal RPG session, but one with the express purpose of being viewed by non-participants for entertainment. And in the Tabletop case, it also has the benefit of professional lighting, sound, camerawork, and editing, as well as actors.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
Classic Uncle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I'd go with 'not a fad, and also not going to change much'. There are a zillion low viewership streams out there. A sudden 'hit' stream would make a difference, but isn't very likely.
That sudden hit stream you are talking about would be Critical Role (2yrs on/almost 100 episodes). I've tuned into their Thursday night games and there are 20,000+ real-time viewers.

Also I think the different games being broadcast by RollPlay/itmeJP are fairly popular. I think they pull in at least 1,000+ real-time viewers consistently.

Acquisitions Inc. C-Team on Hyper RPG is getting popular. Christopher Perkins' broadcast, Dice Camera Action, his D&D group, seems well watched.

Critical Role is a bunch of voice actors. So they provide top notch character voices and have smooth improv skills which gives the game more character depth for viewers. But this is also why I wonder if it is more "lets watch this" entertainment than a new mass entry vector into the hobby.

Last edited by Classic Uncle Sam; 06-04-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Classic Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Uncle Sam View Post
That sudden hit stream you are talking about would be Critical Role (2yrs on/almost 100 episodes). I've tuned into their Thursday night games and there are 20,000+ real-time viewers.
Increase that by an order of magnitude and it might be relevant.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
Classic Uncle Sam

Looked into the two D&D streams, on and off. I would say it seemed like it was fairly well watched at 5,000-6,000+ real-time viewers. It may have dropped just below 5K viewers at points. But sustaining that over two days for 12 hours straight is something to note, for me.

You can go to the D&D Twitch channel and watch it all, if you want. They appear to have broken up the complete stream into videos based on the different "spots" during the live stream as well. The later "taped" videos register watches. So "Stream of Annihilation Day 1" (the full 12hrs) got a bit over 13K watches after it was over and uploaded--if I am looking at things correctly. Quite a few of the segments have thousands of views.

Throughout you can see that this was a major production. Two shooting locations in a full fledged sound stage, quite a few camera operators, and a passing overhead camera boom for dice shots.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Increase that by an order of magnitude and it might be relevant.
Okay, how about this? The first episode of Critical Role (Arrival at Kraghammer) has been watched 4,276,202 times on YouTube. That is an order of magnitude higher. The most recent episode on youtube that hasn't been up very long has 200k+ views.

And to answer the OP, I certainly think the age of streaming is relevant. Green Ronin Press is putting out a Critical Role setting guide. There are people all over who are getting into RPGs because of Critical Role. I personally have bought a number RPGs systems (using real $$) that I wouldn't otherwise have because I've seen them streamed and found them interesting.

This is a big deal.

And yes, D&D is working the hardest to capitalize on this, but other game systems are also using the format to increase consumer recognition. Now, I don't actually like the Wil Wheaton pre-filmed and edited version of the online tabletop, I much prefer the live version with (or without) running audience commentary. Geek and Sundry, HyperRPG, some of the other ones out there are giving some really interesting experiences that are inspiring others to join the hobby, or get back into it, or try out new systems.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Classic Uncle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Okay, how about this? The first episode of Critical Role (Arrival at Kraghammer) has been watched 4,276,202 times on YouTube. That is an order of magnitude higher. The most recent episode on youtube that hasn't been up very long has 200k+ views.
I had completely forgotten about Critical Role having past shows uploaded to the Geek and Sundry youtube. I didn't know episode 1 had that many hits. Wow.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Uncle Sam View Post
I had completely forgotten about Critical Role having past shows uploaded to the Geek and Sundry youtube. I didn't know episode 1 had that many hits. Wow.
I think RPG companies ignore streaming at their own peril in the Age of Broadcast RPGs.

Games I have bought/Kickstarted all because of seeing them played on Streams:
Microscope
7th Sea
Shadowrun 5e
Bluebeard's Bride
Night's Black Agents
Dragon Age
Fiasco
The Shab-Al-Hiri Roach
Dungeonworld
OpenLegend RPG

probably a few I'm missing.

The point is, since the Age of Broadcasting and the RPG renaissance, I have been spending quite a pretty penny on new RPG stuff...the above list doesn't even include the other RPGs I've picked up not connected to streaming. And you know what I don't see? GURPS. I still buy whatever GURPS comes out, but does not have the exposure that other streamed games are having.

But I'm going to stream some GURPS myself.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
RyanW

I've been considering uploading sessions (but not live streaming) some, myself. I'm working on a game now, and I'll run it past the group whether they wanted to record the sessions.