Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
AmadanBrios

Default Can someone walk me through an Overrun?

I played a basic game as I was punching the pieces and understood everything fine. I'm looking at the full rules for boardgaming this weekend and the overrun rules are the only thing that I'm not 100% sure on. Would anyone mind walking me through an example overrun combat with a couple of units vs an OGRE?
AmadanBrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Can someone walk me through an Overrun?

Ogre Mk I overruns Superheavy tank that is carrying 2/1 inf in a woods hex.

At the start of the overrun the infantry dismount.

Round one: Defenders fire first. The two inf squads combine fire against the main battery. Their one point attacks are doubled to two point attacks and these add for four points, so this is a 1:1 attack. A roll of 4 is a D and so no effect on the Ogre.

The superheavy combines both of its guns into a single six point attack on the main battery for a 1:1. A roll of 6 scores an X, elminating it.

The Ogre only has 4 APs left to fire with and so combines 2 APs on each Inf. That's attack strength 2, doubled to 4 vs defense strength 1 doubled to 2 for woods for two 2:1 attacks. The rolls are 2 for a D which eliminates one squad and 3 for another D which gets the other squad. The Ogre then rams and destroys the superheavy tank for no further damage to itself.

The overrun is now over and the Ogre is placed alone in the hex. It may continue moving if it has remaining MPs.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmadanBrios View Post
I played a basic game as I was punching the pieces and understood everything fine. I'm looking at the full rules for boardgaming this weekend and the overrun rules are the only thing that I'm not 100% sure on. Would anyone mind walking me through an example overrun combat with a couple of units vs an OGRE?
There are a lot of moving parts in this. Are there specific things that you are confused about?

The basics are:
Defense gets any terrain defensive bonuses, the attackers do not.
The attacking force can move in any units they have in range; stacking limits do not apply while resolving overruns
Ogre and Infantry weapons have their attack strength doubled ( both sides)
D results are X
Infantry splits into single squads
Ogres get to ram a single unit for free after the first fire round
Disabled units can fire

Ok, overruns have fire phases that keep going back and forth until one side is destroyed ( with some Ogre exceptions). Let's say there are two GEVs and a 3/1 INF in a town that is overrun by a mark III ogre with full weapons.

The defense fires first. That will be 2 GEVs and three 2/1 INF ( INF attack is doubled in overrun ). Resolve the five attacks as normal. Attacks on Ogre components STILL require an actual X, even in overruns.
Now the Ogre
Same drill but each GEV has a D4 and each squad of INF has a D3, but all the Ogre weapons are doubled and Ds are X. After the first fire round, the Ogre gets a free ram and crushes a GEV.

Now it goes back to the defense if any are left.

You just keep going back and forth until one side is all gone.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
ColBosch

Quote:
Okay, let's do this: an undamaged Ogre Mk III is entering a hex containing an enemy Heavy Tank (HVY) and a 2/1 Infantry (INF) unit. Play is paused while the combat is resolved.

1. Remove the Ogre, HVY, and INF counters from the board (leave a chit to remember why they were) and place them to one side. Replace the 2/1 INF with two 1/1 INF counters.

2. The defenders (the HVY and two INF) fire on the Ogre. Treat as normal combat (Section 7); they choose what parts of the Ogre to fire at, may combine fire, and destroy components on an X result. The only real difference is that the INF's attack strength is doubled and the Ogre will not get any terrain bonuses to defense. This is the first fire round.

3. The Ogre attacks the defenders. It may (and really should) ram the HVY and immediately destroy it; it cannot ram the INF and only gets the one ram attack per Overrun, and only during its first fire round. It then attacks the INF as normal, with all of its weapon strengths doubled, and will destroy any defenders on D or X results. It has to fire on each INF squad individually. It may fire with all of its weapons, expending missiles as normal if it chooses to use them. The INF gets its normal terrain defense bonuses. Spillover is not applied. This is the second fire round.

4. Any surviving defenders may attack again, as in Step 2.

5. The Ogre may attack again, as in Step 3. It may not ram again.

6, etc. Repeat each fire round until only side has units remaining. Hint: it'll be the Ogre.

Final: Once only one side has surviving units, replace them on the board. If the attacking unit survives and has MP left, it may continue to move as normal, even fighting another Overrun if desired.

Notes: Overruns do not have to be conducted immediately, as the attacker can bring different units into the same hex to conduct the combat, but must be resolved before the end of the movement phase.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The basics are:
Ogre and Infantry weapons have their attack strength doubled ( both sides)
D results are X
Disabled units can fire
Three clarifications and an addition:
  1. Ogre, AP on SHVYs and Infantry weapons have their attack strength doubled ( both sides) (also Lasers)
  2. D results are X except against Ogres
  3. Disabled units can fire at half strength (do not round)
  4. There is no spillover during overruns
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Three clarifications and an addition:
  1. Ogre, AP on SHVYs and Infantry weapons have their attack strength doubled ( both sides) (also Lasers)
  2. D results are X except against Ogres
  3. Disabled units can fire at half strength (do not round)
  4. There is no spillover during overruns
This is what happens when you try to answer from your phone in-between concert performances. I think between all of us, he's likely got the gist of it. Time to sit back and wait for the "but what about..." questions to start rolling in :-)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
dwalend

Quote:
For a more gentle introduction, try using the overrun rules in the Basic Ogre scenario -- with the one-unit stacking limit -- to get a first taste. If I've got an afternoon to teach the game, I'll run a second or forth game this way before pulling out the green maps for some Breakthrough.

You'll observe that a healthy Ogre takes its lumps in the overrun, then vaporizes the defenders. The accumulated outcomes are about the same as the ramming rules for everything but howitzers and infantry. Ogre vs. infantry brings up about the right number of caveats for an introduction. Plus rolling the extra dice is more fun than "one tread from the Ogre and your GEV is dead."
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
AmadanBrios

Thanks everyone, I didn't mean to post and disappear.

I was pretty sure I understood it but seeing an example really drives everything home. It seems like a big jump in complexity, even compared to terrain and spillover.
AmadanBrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
ColBosch

I dunno. It seems simple enough to me: when you enter a hex with enemy units, pull everything in the hex from the map, play a quick dice-off, then return the survivors to the board. All the special rules fit on one page, so it's easy to open the rulebook to that point and just walk through things until you get the hang of it. I suggest using the black "number" counters to remember how much MP the attacking unit has remaining along with the hex they came from; facing is irrelevant, so that's all you need to remember.

But keep in mind I'm coming from years of BattleTech, a far more involved hex-based game. The basic rules are as long as the entire rules for Ogre, and the advanced rules are up to five gigantic hardbacks and counting. Before that I mainly played GURPS (and I doubt I need to stress how complex it is) and at one point had something like two hundred sourcebooks for that game. So I do apologize if I come across as condescending; it really isn't my intention.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
voxelapocalypse
Banned

Speaking of Overrun...can someone walk me through Overrunning a BUILDING?

My main uncertainty is, can a BUILDING by itself be Overrun if there are no enemy units in the same hex as the BUILDING being overrun?
Does a BUILDING count as an enemy unit for purposes of Overruns?
In other words, does there have to be at least one enemy unit in the same hex to do a Overrun into it on the BUILDING?

What exactly is being said here:???
Rule 11.04.2
"When a building is attacked in an Overrun - ie., when the attackers are in the same hex as the building -
damage is doubled : each attack does damage equal to four times the weapon's attack strength."

I don't really get the final definition of how much extra damage my unit overrunning does.
Is it double or four times the weapon's attack strength?
Is this just two different ways of saying "double damage"?

Let's say I am overrunning a Building with an Ogre, there are no enemy units in this hex, just the Overrunning Ogre and the Building being Overrun.
Is it simply a matter of adding up all the attacking weapons strengths being used in the Overrun by the Ogre, and doubling that for your damage?

I've always been unsure of this, so I really appreciate any help clearing it up.
voxelapocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote