Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Anthro-Penguins

I'm rebuilding an old DnD Homebrew setting of mine into GURPS. Rebuild, not a conversion. throwing out the numbers and keeping they concepts. I though one place I would start is a Race of Antro-Penguins.

First they are not cold water race, they actully live int the SubTropical/Tropical Island Chain. The Actully count the great bay you makes up my southern board of the 'known world'.

They also fill the Roll of Pirates. inspired by how penguins will 'leap' out of the water on to land, I want them to basically be able keep their own ships a safe distant dive not the water, swim to the target vest then 'leap' on to the deck. The only armor I see them using is 'gold-plated (or equivlent for rust protetion) manica, possible a type of mail of scales. They would use a style the will combine a good ship born weapon desn for light to unarmed foes with Judo, especial a Judo throw (to pitch and heavely armored foes over the rails)

Due to the control of the bay I don't see much merchant shipping from the main civilized lands of my setting, so they mostly fishing vessel to 'tax' them most of their catch (leaving behind just enough not to shut down fishing activity)

So I would like to brain storm with people a Racial Template and Martial Style or them (This will be my first major foray into using GURPS Martial Arts)

Last edited by roguebfl; 11-08-2011 at 01:01 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Anthro-Penguins

You just made me imagine these guys planning and then executing a pirate raid, GURPS Action-style. (On Merlin-1, of course.)
Old 11-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
You just made me imagine these guys planning and then executing a pirate raid, GURPS Action-style. (On Merlin-1, of course.)
Well they are some of my inspiration too. 8) But these people actual have manipulation on the ends of the of flipper/arms so it not quite so cartoony tool use 8)
Old 11-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Maz

I have a hard time imaginening anthro-penguins. Not your fault, just my imagination there's lacking. I tried googlesearching but couldn't find any good ones. All of them had flippers.

Anyway. I think the most important things to figure out is how much underwater speed they need to be able to jump straight unto a ship. How high are the ships deck from the water in the setting?
...and then the beak. I imagine their MA-style would make use of the beak? but it's not a piercing or cutting damage is it?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I have a hard time imaginening anthro-penguins. Not your fault, just my imagination there's lacking. I tried googlesearching but couldn't find any good ones. All of them had flippers.

Anyway. I think the most important things to figure out is how much underwater speed they need to be able to jump straight unto a ship. How high are the ships deck from the water in the setting?
...and then the beak. I imagine their MA-style would make use of the beak? but it's not a piercing or cutting damage is it?
Well I'm Thinking TL3 Sail for their targets, most something that can have a hence of getting out of sight of land for fishing purposed, but i'm not opposed to TL4 Tech being used where necessary after all the world is coming from DnD orgiastic But Gunpowers was never weaponized in the setting big cultural blind spot. So the ships that are armed will be armed with balisata, cataputs or spell casters.

So yes a good question is how high will the ship decks prababy not any giver than need to deal with tough weather as it would get in the way of fishing.

propably talking Picards and Caravels,

I don't real see the musing the beak in combat, if it useable at all maybe it would like a blunt small horn.

The land move is not be great, as I seem have stumping legs, probalby good at avoiding knock downs?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
mhd

I'm picturing Danny Devito's Penguin meets Gloranthan duck people (In a good, lovin' way).
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
combatmedic
Banned

ANTHRO-PENGUIN PIRATES

OFMG

I LOVE IT!

When my brain is rested and fully functional, I will to contribute something more useful. For now, bask in my praise, Father of Anthro-Penguin Pirates!
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I'm rebuilding an old DnD Homebrew setting of mine into GURPS. Rebuild, not a conversion. throwing out the numbers and keeping they concepts. I though one place I would start is a Race of Antro-Penguins.

First they are not cold water race, they actully live int the SubTropical/Tropical Island Chain. The Actully count the great bay you makes up my southern board of the 'known world'.

They also fill the Roll of Pirates. inspired by how penguins will 'leap' out of the water on to land, I want them to basically be able keep their own ships a safe distant dive not the water, swim to the target vest then 'leap' on to the deck. The only armor I see them using is 'gold-plated (or equivlent for rust protetion) manica, possible a type of mail of scales. They would use a style the will combine a good ship born weapon desn for light to unarmed foes with Judo, especial a Judo throw (to pitch and heavely armored foes over the rails)

Due to the control of the bay I don't see much merchant shipping from the main civilized lands of my setting, so they mostly fishing vessel to 'tax' them most of their catch (leaving behind just enough not to shut down fishing activity)

So I would like to brain storm with people a Racial Template and Martial Style or them (This will be my first major foray into using GURPS Martial Arts)
This is an awesome idea.

Regarding the Martial Art Style, since you have relatively low-mobility fighters, I would look toward Aikijutso for inspiration for the unarmed portion of their style. IIRC it is adaptible to fighting while kneeling, as an approximation of the penguin's stance.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I'm imagining a different kind of penguin pirate, but that's just me.

Now, if you can get a copy of GURPS Technomancer, you could alter the Killer Penguins, by removing the Mindshare ability.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
I'm imagining a different kind of penguin pirate, but that's just me.
You owe me one unsee this from now on.

Tags
races, racial templates, shielded-lands, styles