Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
yrdin

Default [GURPS Powers] Skills for (not) Everyone

Hello to everyone, I need help about a question with Powers.

I'm preparing a campaign in a fantasy world and I don't want use the Spells from GURPS Magic (except as guide).

In these world the Priests have powers as are described in the "Building Powers" chapter, of GURPS Powers, with the Divine modifier. That's all.

The Wizards also have powers, with the Magic modifier, but needs a skill roll to activate (basically are the rules "Skills for Everyone", page 161, GURPS Powers). I know that with Talents I can do something similar, but i want the same mechanics that I found on GURPS Psionic Powers)

Is it possible mix the two systems with no modification (I think it could be unbalanced)?. Is it necessary a new modifier to integrate the two systems?. Is there a rule that I don't know?.

Long time ago (I don't remember when) I read a article (I don't remember where), in which the author proposed a modifier to Power ( [-30%] for Hard Skills) to activate powers trough a skills roll. Did anyone read it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
gjc8

Default Re: [GURPS Powers] Skills for (not) Everyone

It's possible to mix a power that uses "Skills for Everyone" and a system that uses attribute rolls normally. Particularly if the skill-users have access to other options like Power Techniques that aren't available to others. See the discussion about Source-Specific Rules on Powers p. 174.

If priests don't have to roll to activate their powers, even ones that normally require it, that's Cosmic: No Roll Required for those powers. And if mages have to make skill rolls to activate all their powers, that's the Requires (Attribute) Roll limitation for powers that don't normally require rolls.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

For Mages:
Powers, pg 112
Requires (Skill) Roll, -0% (if the advantage normally requires an attribute check), -10% (if the advantage doesn't)

For Priests:
Powers, pg 101
Cosmic: No Roll Required, +100% ... only apply to advantages that normally require an attribute or skill check.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
nerdvana

I"m working on a similar system. If you (like I am) are trying to Emulate D&D magic don't forget Modular Abilities (Super Memorization) and using One-Use Powers for building the spells (makes the advantage cost 1/5th the normal cost so helps lower the costs)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I"m working on a similar system. If you (like I am) are trying to Emulate D&D magic don't forget Modular Abilities (Super Memorization) and using One-Use Powers for building the spells (makes the advantage cost 1/5th the normal cost so helps lower the costs)
One-Use means one use ever. IIRC D&D spells could be reused.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
the D&D vertion has Limited Usage X/day
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
nerdvana

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
the D&D vertion has Limited Usage X/day
The spells are powers you memorize with your Super Memorization. You only do get to use it once ever.... for each slot you fill with it. Then, the next day you can put the same power back into a slot... but THAT instance of the power that you memorized is still a Once-only use... ever.

Unless you are using D&D 4e (which I am not modeling) you can't reuse a spell you cast. Its gone. Then you re-memorize it and have it again... once.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
lexington

Quote:
The spells are powers you memorize with your Super Memorization. You only do get to use it once ever.... for each slot you fill with it. Then, the next day you can put the same power back into a slot... but THAT instance of the power that you memorized is still a Once-only use... ever.

Unless you are using D&D 4e (which I am not modeling) you can't reuse a spell you cast. Its gone. Then you re-memorize it and have it again... once.
That is clever but I'm wary of balance issues.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
You can use the second option for costs CP, instead. Each use is then 1 CP.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Corlock Striker

Quote:

That magic system makes me angry. Which is why I always played Sorcerers. Screw preparing spells. If I know a spell I should be able to cast it. That always seemed to me a very contrived means of balancing the game. There are some things one should emulate when converting a system, and some things one should simply toss to the side. Then again, that's my own personal opinion speaking here. But I much prefer the whole FP cost that GURPS has going on. D&D's slot based system was especially ill suited for the Wheel of Time RPG that WotC released using the D20 rules, as magic in WoT really didn't work that way at all, and they tried to shoe horn it into that system. Instead of coming up with something like the GURPS system and being original because that would have fit the source material better.

But anyway, yeah, so hate the whole certain amount of slots per day in each level, and having to prepare spells. I mean in a sense the GURPS system amounts to the same thing, in that you only have a certain amount of FP, but you are free to spend that in any way you wish, on any combination of spells you wish. If you know a spell, you can cast it whenever you want. None of this stupid, "Oh, I forgot to meditate on it for an hour yesterday." Or, "Oh, well, I didn't prepare my grease spell, so I can't cast it, even though I know the spell. Sorry guys."

You're a spell caster for gods sake, if you know a spell, you should be able to cast it whenever you need to. There's no book series were magic works that way. Except apparently the books by Jack Vance, I think it is, as D&D uses a Vancian system, but even then, magic doesn't really work that way, as by direction of the plot of the books, the wizard will have prepared exactly the spells he'll need for the day, unlike your character, who may not have. But this is really just my ranting and raving about a magic system that I despise, sorry.

I just know, that were I in your campaign and you pulled out that build of magic, I'd find some way of using magic that didn't rely on that. Like the sorcerers in D&D. Or I'd play a fighter, or I wouldn't play in the campaign at all. I got away from D&D to get away from what I considered stupid magic systems. Why bring one of the worst features of D&D into GURPS? Sorry, again personal opinion.

Tags
gurps powers, power, power build, power modifiers