Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #1
pmpappas

Default Recent Munchkin articles by Devin Lewis, for both new and experienced players.

Some of you may not know about the useful Munchkin website https://munchkin.game/ and those that do may think of it primarily as a place to find information about previously released and upcoming Munchkin items. But there is a lot of useful information relating to game play as well, including a FAQ, rules errata, glossary, and much more.

Some of the newest additions are two articles written by Devin Lewis under the "Munchkin Spotlight'' moniker. One is about the often confusing subject of equipped vs. carried items and the other is about the rather contentious Thief class. Both are "must read" for new players and excellent refreshers for experienced players.

https://munchkin.game/news/2021/dece...ed-vs-carried/

https://munchkin.game/news/2021/dece...t-class-thief/

There is a promise of more articles to come and I look forward to them. Thanks Devin!

"Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater." - Andrew Hackard
pmpappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
emigio

Default Re: Recent Munchkin articles by Devin Lewis, for both new and experienced players.

i wouldn't suggest the article about carried vs equipped. i think it is not wrong but a lot misleading. It makes it seems that there are 2 category of items while all items in play are carried (both equipped and unequipped).

(a phrase from the article: "As a quick final recap: Items that are in play and actively giving you a bonus are equipped, and Items that are in play but not actively giving you a bonus are carried. As always, the rules text on the cards can supersede the general rules of the game!")

or he changed the rules or he has confused ideas

Last edited by emigio; 01-29-2022 at 10:25 AM.
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #3
AdamKo88

Default Re: Recent Munchkin articles by Devin Lewis, for both new and experienced players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
i wouldn't suggest the article about carried vs equipped. i think it is not wrong but a lot misleading. It makes it seems that there are 2 category of items while all items in play are carried (both equipped and unequipped).

(a phrase from the article: "As a quick final recap: Items that are in play and actively giving you a bonus are equipped, and Items that are in play but not actively giving you a bonus are carried. As always, the rules text on the cards can supersede the general rules of the game!")

or he changed the rules or he has confused ideas
I don’t understand the issue you have. Could you please clarify? The rules state that all cards on the table (including items) are in play, and that all your in-play items are carried (with the ones giving you a bonus being equipped and the “sideways” items being unequipped). I thought that was exactly what the article says?
AdamKo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:25 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamKo88 View Post
The rules state that all cards on the table (including items) are in play, and that all your in-play items are carried
Your understanding is wrong. The article makes it perfectly clear what the differences between "Carried" and "Equipped" are.

Not all cards in play are considered "Carried". Carried refers to specifically the items that are sideways not giving you a bonus, aka unequipped.

Items that are "Equipped" are not considered "Carried" by Munchkin definitions.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:12 PM   #5
emigio

Mr_Draco you are an experienced player, i am surprised you are saying this. Read the rules under Item section https://munchkin.game/site-munchkin/...in_rules-1.pdf

here the magical sentence:

"All Items you have in play are considered “carried.” Items that are actually
giving you a bonus are “equipped.”

I repeat it is written in the rules (not even in the FAQ or threads)
Old 01-29-2022, 03:28 PM   #6
emigio

AdamKo88, like Mr_draco said the article differs from what the rules say. Now it is not a big difference but it chages how some curses work
Old 01-30-2022, 07:16 AM   #7
pmpappas

Did I mention equipped vs "just" carried items is often a confusing subject? ;-)

I don't think the article contradicts the rules, which state any item in play is carried. Both equipped and "just" carried items are in play and the article repeatedly references this fact. Saying an item is equipped is the same as saying it's carried and equipped.

My take on the article is Devin stayed out of the weeds about an equipped item also being a carried item by stating both were in play, which imho simplifies explaining the difference between equipped and "just" carried items without affecting gameplay.

I could be wrong (and if I am someone will be along soon to correct me), but it's not Munchkin without a disagreement or two. ;-)

At this point, I would ask Devin to weigh in on this to hopefully clear up any confusion or misunderstanding. Thanks in advance.

"Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater." - Andrew Hackard
pmpappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:55 AM   #8
AdamKo88

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
AdamKo88, like Mr_draco said the article differs from what the rules say. Now it is not a big difference but it chages how some curses work
Ah, I reread the article and see the problem. Specifically using the terms “equipped” vs “carried” (instead of “unequipped”) could imply that equipped items are NOT carried. Fair enough!
AdamKo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:29 AM   #9
bonetm

Still, pretty good idea to have those types of articles posted. Maybe it can be edited for further clarification on the whole "equipped vs unequipped vs carried" thing.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:42 PM   #10
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

My article and the rules don't contradict each other at all. It's only when someone is doing their best to rules lawyer that one can come to this conclusion.

Yes, equipped Items are carried.

This is an All Squares Are Rectangles but Not All Rectangles Are Squares issue.

All in play Items are carried, not all in play carried Items are equipped.

There are approximately 58 cards in Munchkin which refer to carried Items, and something like 48 of them are the Thief class or give you the Thief's ability to steal, so this isn't much of an issue. I mostly wrote the article because people say it's in your backpack, which isn't a real thing, and I want to stamp out 'backpack'.