Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
thom

Default Magic Talismans vs. nonmagical attacks

So in reading about Talismans in GURPS Magic I came across this interesting tidbit:

"...A talisman is an item that grants the wearer a one-time boon when attacked by a specific spell or nonmagical attack or affliction. The talisman’s enchantment adds to the resistance roll, attribute check, or defense roll against its specific attack or affliction." (emphasis added)

This immediately sparked an idea about creating Talismans that improve your Dodge, Block or Parry against nonmagical attacks.

Being lazy, I would say only the +2 versions would be cheap/easy enough to create. The cost would only be $45 for each Talisman using the ‘$1 under 60 FP enchanting rule’.

So we have: Talismans of Dodging, Blocking, Parrying
These items increase the relevant defense roll by +2 when activated. They must be worn by the wearer, and to activate them, the wearer must consciously choose to do so (as a free action) before he makes the relevant defense roll.
Cost: $45

I added the conscious choice because otherwise the talisman would go off willy-nilly. Should it be more expensive because the wearer can choose? Can anyone think of any flaws with creating these?

Last edited by thom; 01-07-2014 at 01:44 PM.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic item creation, talismans