Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2023, 10:01 AM   #1741
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Alright, I get it; Pacifica will not use the drills right away to avoid making much noise, instead she uses forced entry (12) 11. That's the skill she has, unless there's someone with lockpicking, considering the squads were assembled to work the strategies smoothly.
Lockpicking uses the drills.

The forced entry roll fails! These are really tough doors, and you only succeeded by 1.

the rest of the team is getting ready to open the doors with drills and cutting torches.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:26 PM   #1742
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Lockpicking uses the drills. The forced entry roll fails! These are really tough doors, and you only succeeded by 1. the rest of the team is getting ready to open the doors with drills and cutting torches.
OOC:
Before any of this takes place, I have some questions:
  • Since the tactics roll has an impact on Pacifica I could also use luck so Zybo gets a better result. Would a great result gives us an important edge?
  • On the other What is the penalty of the door? I could also use luck for that. Would it be worth it? What is to be expected after using the drills?
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:05 PM   #1743
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Deciding to use a spacesuit to go around via the airlock instead, which takes you out of the first round of combat. Or not going around at all.
Well that's better than bumbling into a hazardous location that the crit made me expect. Let's do that.

I put the suit on carefully (i.e. without a roll); I don't have much experience beyond the basics here.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:04 AM   #1744
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
So @Daymar, should we call luck for this? Looks really important.
Luck says, "Your Luck only applies to your own success, damage, or reaction
rolls, or on outside events that affect you or your whole party, or when you
are being attacked (in which case you may make the attacker roll three times
and take the worst roll!)" I'm not sure this situation fits those criteria, but I would certainly be willing to use Luck if the GM okayed it.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #1745
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

OOC: I am waiting to see what happens next.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:30 AM   #1746
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Pacifica's team cuts open three doors with drills and torches. Pacfica is on point when her door is thrown open. The enemy is waiting, and runs towards with wrenches, hammers, drills, and swung ration boxes.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:56 PM   #1747
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pacifica's team cuts open three doors with drills and torches. Pacfica is on point when her door is thrown open. The enemy is waiting, and runs towards with wrenches, hammers, drills, and swung ration boxes.
How would you like to handle the combat?
Do I get to play with the 16 units and Pacifica?
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #1748
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

You've got Pacifica and like two gm controlled npcs behind you. You are in a corridor maybe two yards wide and the door is narrower. A stream of men armed with improvised clubs is coming at you
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:35 AM   #1749
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Alright, so Pacifica is behind an hydrogen block with two allies, at least 10 people approaching... what distance?
No, she's got a block to her left, and a block to her right, and a direct path to the enemy.



They are two yards away.


Quote:
I am concerned about “surprise” attacks from behind or the sides, so the cover should provide protection against these.
I think your allies and the cover of your ship is covered here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Use her ESP to check for enemies and their weapons, make sure there are no guns in enemy hands.

Take cover, brace and aim with her gun. The others should do the same, they would be shooting at the others depending on how far they are, and also depending on their weapons.
The ESP can see through the door before its open... which is probably when you want to do this. There are no guns.



Two of you can brace and be ready to shoot as soon as the door is open. Someone needs to open the door... is that pacifica or an NPC ally?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:14 PM   #1750
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

To make things simple, I will call my allies S1 and S2 (shooters).

(But they could be Thorpojor and Vinobi, honoring their contributions so far).

S2 opens the door.

S1 takes cover and braces for +1 to acc. He goes for a round of Suppression Fire, shooting 5 and 5 beams for another +1 to hit, covering the 3-yard hallway (right to the center, then from the center to the left). He starts shooting when the targets are 3 yards away, to mitigate range penalties.

The attack resolves like this:

Shooting to the right, rolled 8; successful VS SL 12+1 or 14+1.
Shooting to the Left, rolled 11; successful VS SL 12+1 or 14+1.

Given that there are no guns on the enemy side, Pacifica activates her displacement ability (14) 12 and takes AOD, she will stand between the enemies and S1 to protect him (because Suppression Fire is AOA).

S2 takes a step in; he will provide backup the next round.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.