Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2023, 10:39 AM   #1671
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Rolled an 8 vs. Dreaming...
I think Peter deserves an overdue second point in Dreaming. I'm tempted to give him three for @Will... He's been getting good at this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Peter's view shifts to the fortress, and a grizzled old general. He's writing what appears to be a letter or memoir. He writes about the supply situation (not quite bad yet), the strength of the fortress, and his hopes for relief. Everything depends on one of several messengers getting through, and on the Royal Alliance having a relief force. If not, he is resigned to waste as much of the enemy's time and manpower as possible.
Can he see the general's name written on any papers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Then his view shifts to a set of ruins, with two men camping in them, a low and meager fire near them. Both carry firearms with complex locks*, and one man carries an impossibly long and thin sword. The other man has a large blood stain and bandage on his right arm. They are wearing the red faded uniforms.

His view shifts to a group of five men in the dark dull green uniforms with three dogs, tracking something.

*These are early breachloaders, so think wild west "repeaters".
Peter thinks, So Red is the Home Team, and Green is Away...

Can he make any sense of how far the hunters are from the campsite?

Peter holds fast to the visions, memorizing every detail he can... Peter tries to discern in each view any unusual tech, national symbols as well as other environmental details...

Is he able to hear any conversations as he attempts to linger?

Can he sense any magic?



Spoiler:  
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:50 AM   #1672
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Can he see the general's name written on any papers?
Rolling search/administration (he doesn't have either)... failed. No, he can't.


Quote:
Can he make any sense of how far the hunters are from the campsite?
He can tell they're not within a few miles... but he can't tell more than that.


Quote:
Peter holds fast to the visions, memorizing every detail he can... Peter tries to discern in each view any unusual tech, national symbols as well as other environmental details...
Green tends to have an emblem that looks something like a glob centered on Europe sewed onto their uniforms, as well as various letters and abstract symbols. They have a variety of flags, including a green ball on a blue field, various barred tricolor(red, white, and blue) flags with lettering, and another bearing the Golden Letters "LEF" on a white background.


Red uses stylistic animals and crosses in their decorations, in a bewildering variety of colors, though a red cross on a while background predominates. They also use a red ball on a black field as a flag.


The hunters have a pigeon in a cage with them. The man with the long thin sword seems to have thin wires running through his uniform.



Quote:
Is he able to hear any conversations as he attempts to linger?
Only the hunters discussing which way their prey went... which confirms they're looking for two men, one of whom is wounded. One they call a "Yaka".



Quote:
Can he sense any magic?
Not at the moment.



Quote:
I think Peter deserves an overdue second point in Dreaming. I'm tempted to give him three for @Will... He's been getting good at this.
Just checked his unspent point pool: he's accumulated a fair amount!
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 11:46 AM   #1673
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Spoiler:  

Peter thinks to himself...

The home team needs wounded and hunted couriers to get through to save the day, and their lives are in peril! Looks like I have a mission!

As long as he is able to maintain his dream vision, Peter will try and shift his perception up for a wider view of the terrain from the position of each party's location so he might see the best paths and terrains, or figure out the vector and distance between them, or between the couriers and a "red team" stronghold to get them to safety.

He thinks... Sorry, Mom. I'll try to be home for Christmas, but it looks like these guys need me right now and it can't wait.

Peter concentrates... Maybe this will be the time... Peter summons the mental image of what he is wearing to bed, the second hand clothes provided to him, and pictures the sharp stone he picked up and the bits of incense he was able to scavenge that are in the pockets (that I'm making up right now...)) and he aims for the messenger's camp and thinks... Pants! Pants! Pants! WAKE UP!

Should Peter find himself nearby the red camp, he will approach and introduce himself...

"Hi! Please don't be alarmed, I'm Peter and this is Goliath, and we mean you no harm. Please don't shoot us."

"Can I take a look at that injury? maybe I can do something. I would like to help you if I can."



--

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 12-12-2023 at 04:24 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:01 AM   #1674
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

He gets a view of the general area each is in: the ruins are quite large.

Quote:
Peter concentrates... Maybe this will be the time... Peter summons the mental image of what he is wearing to bed, the second hand clothes provided to him, and pictures the sharp stone he picked up and the bits of incense he was able to scavenge that are in the pockets (that I'm making up right now...)) and he aims for the messenger's camp and thinks... Pants! Pants! Pants! WAKE UP!
He wakes up.

Without his pants.

Goliath is nearby, sniffing the air. Its pretty cold, especially when naked. He's in the ruins, near the two men in red uniforms.

Quote:
Should Peter find himself nearby the red camp, he will approach and introduce himself...

"Hi! Please don't be alarmed, I'm Peter and this is Goliath, and we mean you no harm. Please don't shoot us."

"Can I take a look at that injury? maybe I can do something. I would like to help you if I can."
He comes around a corner to face a revolving pistol held by the man with the long thin sword. He's quite surprised to see Peter, and pulls the pistol up immediately.

"I'm Armstrong. That's Williamson. Were is your uniform? what unit are you with? You're a Healer then?"

Peter gets the impression that Williamson is not the man's real name.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM   #1675
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

"I'm not with any unit. I'm not old enough to enlist. I'm a wanderer and emissary of good will. I honestly have no idea where we are right now. I know some first aid, and some other healing tricks I can try if you have anything I can burn that would be pungent... Do you guys have an extra blanket or something I could borrow? Mind if I approach the fire? As you can see, I'm unarmed!"

Depending on their acceptance and permissiveness, Peter will see if he can improve their situation. If they have (or he can scrounge) any spices or anything else that Peter thinks he can use as an incense, he will heal Williamson's injury.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 07:52 AM   #1676
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Armstrong thinks a moment, then takes off his coat, takes off his shirt, and throws Peter the shirt and puts his coat back on (the one with the little wires in it). He also throws Peter a Handkerchief "For your Privates".



Peter instantly noticed the British accent on Armstrong.



Williamson: "You need something pungent in order to heal? Is this as some sort of payment? Are you a Yaka Healer or not?"


Armstrong: "if you want something pungent, we could throw a some of the local foliage on the fire until you get something you like. No promises."


Armstrong: "We're headed away from the siege of Fort Roberts. trying to get word to General Tessel. We're with the 4th Yaka. Are you local? what happened to your clothes? we could use a guide."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:48 AM   #1677
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Armstrong thinks a moment, then takes off his coat, takes off his shirt, and throws Peter the shirt and puts his coat back on (the one with the little wires in it). He also throws Peter a Handkerchief "For your Privates".
"Much appreciated."
Peter finds himself wishing he had his woggle to secure the handkerchief in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Williamson: "You need something pungent in order to heal? Is this as some sort of payment? Are you a Yaka Healer or not?"
"I'm not trained in 'Yaka', but maybe it's similar. Let's call it a tribal remedy I learned."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Armstrong: "if you want something pungent, we could throw a some of the local foliage on the fire until you get something you like. No promises."
" I'll try with some stuff I can scrounge up, it can't hurt!"


He will follow the plan of trying to find something to burn that will serve as a substitute and allow him to heal 'Williamson'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Armstrong: "We're headed away from the siege of Fort Roberts. trying to get word to General Tessel. We're with the 4th Yaka. Are you local? what happened to your clothes? we could use a guide."
"I know a little bit about the immediate area, but I'm lost myself and I'm hoping we can help each other."

Peter will describe what he knows from his bird's eye view, passing it off as wandering around lost and certainly not describing it as though he flew overhead in a vision.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:12 AM   #1678
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Much appreciated."
Peter finds himself wishing he had his woggle to secure the handkerchief in place.
Armstrong is able to produce a little bit of string that's useful here.


Quote:
"I'm not trained in 'Yaka', but maybe it's similar. Let's call it a tribal remedy I learned."
Armstrong raises his eyebrows, but it apparently seems plausible enough to him.

Quote:
" I'll try with some stuff I can scrounge up, it can't hurt!"



He will follow the plan of trying to find something to burn that will serve as a substitute and allow him to heal 'Williamson'.
Peter finds several interesting plants, and starts experimenting.


He burns about a dozen before he finds the one he wants, but then he feels the magic start flowing... its a small plant he doesn't see very much of...

Quote:
"I know a little bit about the immediate area, but I'm lost myself and I'm hoping we can help each other."
"So you're lost like us. Where are you trying to go?"


Quote:
Peter will describe what he knows from his bird's eye view, passing it off as wandering around lost and certainly not describing it as though he flew overhead in a vision.
Lacking navigation, Peter isn't sure that his description is very good (rolled a 10). Its something though, and Armstrong is happy to listen and try to make sense of it.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 10:31 AM   #1679
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Armstrong is able to produce a little bit of string that's useful here.
Peter thanks the men for their generosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
he feels the magic start flowing... its a small plant he doesn't see very much of...
Hopefully, it is enough. Peter gathers what he can and sets about trying to heal the man's injury. If he is able to reserve some of the plant for later, he will do so.
"I'm not looking for payment, but I can use travelling companions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

"So you're lost like us. Where are you trying to go?"
"I'm looking for someplace new. I'm not looking to go back where I came from any time soon."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Lacking navigation, Peter isn't sure that his description is very good (rolled a 10). Its something though, and Armstrong is happy to listen and try to make sense of it.
If Peter can do so unnoticed, he will send up a Karana insect to get a bug's eye view to see if it can help with the navigation issues... They seem to have some kind of healers, so he's not too worries about demonstrating that magic, but he's not anxious to reveal the Karana trick that might freak them out.

Are these fresh ruins? Might Peter scrounge better clothing or resources?
What is the time of day / Light level? What's the temp?

Peter will just try and give off the impression that he doesn't really want to talk about where he came from, but will try to be as helpful as possible and go scrounging for additional resources and intelligence as he can.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 08:03 AM   #1680
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Peter spends a lot of his energy reserve on healing (rolled a 10, spent 4 ER). Williamson improves a lot. They take this act as perfectly normal, but are grateful none the less.

Armstrong: "I never learned healing. Focused more on combat. We'll see if I made the right decision. Or maybe we won't need to. Do you have a sponsor to be trained as a Yaka yet?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"I'm looking for someplace new. I'm not looking to go back where I came from any time soon."
They seem very understanding about that.
Williamson: "Lots of people like that now-a-days."

Quote:
If Peter can do so unnoticed, he will send up a Karana insect to get a bug's eye view to see if it can help with the navigation issues... They seem to have some kind of healers, so he's not too worries about demonstrating that magic, but he's not anxious to reveal the Karana trick that might freak them out.
I think that would require a stealth roll.

Quote:
Are these fresh ruins? Might Peter scrounge better clothing or resources?
These are old ruins, rendered bare by time and wind.

Quote:
What is the time of day / Light level? What's the temp?
Temperature is mid 40's. Its evening, and getting darker quickly.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.