Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Invader

Default Marking Warp better

I currently have Warp (reliable +10) (Extra capacity, very heavy) for my character and I was wondering if there's any way to make it better or more useful outside of the obvious. One thing I was interested in was using warp as an affliction to teleport other things away from me but I'm afb at the moment and I'm not sure what all that would entail or cost. I'm hovering right around 115 points to spend with a flat 20% discount on any advantages that aren't mundane.

Any ideas?
Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Marking Warp better

Affliction (Warp) as an Alternate Ability to your Warp could probably work - if your target fails his resistance roll, you get to make him Warp somewhere immediately. Alternatively, I think Supers has some rules on "chaining" Warps - that is, Warping to multiple places in quick succession within a second or so (potentially useful for Warping long distances quickly if you've got a limit on how far each Warp can go). In your case, you could grapple a foe, Warp somewhere nasty, let go (a free action), then Warp back. The characters in Jumper use this tactic several times during that movie. Powers also has some Enhancements you might be interested in - Blink makes it more useful for defense (although that's probably redundant with your Reliable 10) and No Strain means the ability will never suffer penalties for repeat attempts or suffer burnout.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Affects Others would be cheaper than Affliction. Plus Area Effect if you don't want to have to touch them. This explicitly doesn't work as an attack on unwilling subjects, but there are lots of reasons to take your friends along out of combat, and even in combat being able to move others around the arena could be interesting.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
I currently have Warp (reliable +10) (Extra capacity, very heavy) for my character and I was wondering if there's any way to make it better or more useful outside of the obvious. One thing I was interested in was using warp as an affliction to teleport other things away from me but I'm afb at the moment and I'm not sure what all that would entail or cost. I'm hovering right around 115 points to spend with a flat 20% discount on any advantages that aren't mundane.

Any ideas?
Buy Cosmic: No Roll Required +100%, and consider reducing reliable. Cosmic: NRR means you take a penalty all the way down to an effective skill of 3 and your ability will still work with perfect reliability.

What's your character's effective skill? (IQ+Reliable+Talent+etc.)
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Invader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Buy Cosmic: No Roll Required +100%, and consider reducing reliable. Cosmic: NRR means you take a penalty all the way down to an effective skill of 3 and your ability will still work with perfect reliability.

What's your character's effective skill? (IQ+Reliable+Talent+etc.)
My IQ is 16+10 (reliable) no talents or anything else. Although if there's a way to make it more efficient I'm all for it. The reliable 10 is so I can use it as a dodge in combat with no penalty.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
My IQ is 16+10 (reliable) no talents or anything else. Although if there's a way to make it more efficient I'm all for it. The reliable 10 is so I can use it as a dodge in combat with no penalty.
NDRR means you could have no Reliable, be drunk enough to take a -3 to IQ, and still Warp-dodge every time. So, yes, it becomes more efficient.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
... even in combat being able to move others around the arena could be interesting.
Oh, yes, this. Not GURPS, but I fondly remember a rather difficult set-piece battle in a tactical RPG video game. The setup was a fortress I was assaulting, with a large number of archers at the top, a smattering of infantry at the bottom, and a force (including a rather powerful commander) holding the stairs. The only apparent option was to advance and take out the infantry at the bottom, then head over and take out the commander, having to deal with her honor guard in the process, all while taking withering fire from archers attacking with impunity (due to their height advantage, they could reach out and touch pretty much the entire battlefield, while I had to get my ranged units rather close to be able to strike them).

My solution? Teleporting my single (it's a very costly spell and only one caster had it) most powerful melee unit into the midst of the archers, allowing him to knock those close to the edge off and cut down the rest. Never underestimate the ability to do even fairly short-range teleportation in a battle.

Quote:
The reliable 10 is so I can use it as a dodge in combat with no penalty.
Blink, from Powers, negates the -10 for this express purpose and is much cheaper. If you also want to be able to do other Warps more reliably, with your character's IQ Cosmic: No Roll Required may well be a much better option as well.

Last edited by Varyon; 10-01-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Invader

I found cosmic in the powers book +50%, can someone point out where I can find no roll required? Do they have to go together?

Also I'm not really familiar with afflictions so I'm not sure how that would work with Warp for an offensive power. Ideally I'd like to be able to activate it from range so I don't have to be touching the person but distance I can warp them would be dependent on cost.

Last edited by Invader; 10-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
I found cosmic in the powers book +50%, can someone point out where I can find no roll required? Do they have to go together?
It's the first example of Cosmic on page 101 under the Powers description for Cosmic. No Die Roll Required (AKA "NDDR") is a kind of Cosmic. It can stand alone or be combined with other forms of Cosmic, and any power modifier.
Quote:
Also I'm not really familiar with afflictions so I'm not sure how that would work with Warp for an offensive power. Ideally I'd like to be able to activate it from range so I don't have to be touching the person but distance I can warp them would be dependent on cost.
Afflictions with Added Advantage are usable at range by default, and even more useful when combined with Malediction. If you have read Affliction, let me know where you are confused... It's pretty straightforward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Blink, from Powers, negates the -10 for this express purpose and is much cheaper. If you also want to be able to do other Warps more reliably, with your character's IQ Cosmic: No Roll Required may well be a much better option as well.
I've always considered Blink a waste of points. For a difference of 25%, you can't benefit from it for non-combat teleports, and lose control of where you appear (which is tactical insanity), as well as have the possibility of it failing entirely because there is no safe place to land in the random direction determined.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 10-01-2014 at 04:35 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Anaraxes

"Cosmic" unfortunately has a couple of different meanings. In this sense, it's just a label for a way to break what's ordinarily a rule. "No Die Roll Required" is found on Powers p101; +100%, and as long as your effective skill is above 3, you just don't roll. Each of the options listed under Cosmic is a separate Enhancement with additional costs.

Affliction is the Advantage that lets you make non-damaging attacks. The basic form gives you a ranged attack that applies Conditions to enemies (like Daze, Nauseated, etc; "curses" rather than dice of damage like Innate Attack). One important form is Afflicting Advantages. See the "Advantage" Enhancement on B36.

There are two ways you can Afflict an Advantage. You choose one at build time, and that's the only way the ability works. The first form gives the target some Advantage. This is how you build a lot of buffs -- give DR or High Pain Threshold or Acute Vision of whatever to your target. They then control the Advantage. The other form means that you apply the _effect_ of the Advantage to the target, without giving them the ability to control is. This is how you make a lot of bad things happen to enemies -- in this case, by teleporting them somewhere not under their control.

If you want to bop away inanimate objects or enemies, you'll need the Affliction (Advantage: Warp), in the "affects them" form rather than the "give them the ability to Warp" form.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote