Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
Dangerious P. Cats

Default [swashbucklers] Dueling

I've been doing some research into dueling as part of my thesis which has lead me to wonder how dueling works in GURPS and how it can be made more exciting or realistic (or both). One thing I noticed about duels is that they tended to lead to death only a fraction of the time, more so death was less common in pistol duels than in sword duels. Pistol duels tended to be a test of will with participants often firing in the air or not loading a bullet, and ussally one or two shots being fired before the dispute was put to rest (rather than the partisipants). I'm guessing that this is not the way it works in GURPS but how would one represent this while possibly adding to tention. Duels with swords often ended when blood was drawn or minor injury occured, even if this was not the stated goal of the dual. I'm wondering how to better represent this in GURPS. I was thinking of having will rolls to not back down at the end of each turn's firing in a pistol duel and when any amount of damage is done in a sword fight. Additionall I was thinking of allowing fast talk or diplomacy rolls to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of both parties while reloading in pistol duals. Thoughts?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Akicita

Default Re: [swashbucklers] Dueling

IDHMBWM, but I'm pretty sure there were extended dueling rules in GURPS Swashbucklers that addressed this.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
I've been doing some research into dueling as part of my thesis which has lead me to wonder how dueling works in GURPS and how it can be made more exciting or realistic (or both). One thing I noticed about duels is that they tended to lead to death only a fraction of the time, more so death was less common in pistol duels than in sword duels. Pistol duels tended to be a test of will with participants often firing in the air or not loading a bullet, and ussally one or two shots being fired before the dispute was put to rest (rather than the partisipants). I'm guessing that this is not the way it works in GURPS but how would one represent this while possibly adding to tention. Duels with swords often ended when blood was drawn or minor injury occured, even if this was not the stated goal of the dual. I'm wondering how to better represent this in GURPS. I was thinking of having will rolls to not back down at the end of each turn's firing in a pistol duel and when any amount of damage is done in a sword fight. Additionall I was thinking of allowing fast talk or diplomacy rolls to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of both parties while reloading in pistol duals. Thoughts?
"First blood" rules achieve some of this effect. In my swashbuckling campaign, I had three of the PCs get drawn into duels with students at a rival school. One of the three took a serious wound to the torso that incapacitated him . . . but because his sword struck his foe a fraction of a second sooner, and inflicted one point of damage, he was adjudged the winner, and honor was satisfied.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
The_Nightwatch

I think it's less the rules as it is the people using them. As in: one of the things I game for is to spend time in a world where I don't have to put up with minor evils. Instead, I can confront major ones, and kick their butts. :) In other words, gamers frequently (not always) prefer to leave their enemies dead and move on to the next thing.

One thing I came up with for 3rd edition (4th replicates this somehow, if I remember right) was Grudge-Enemy, someone opposed to you but not lethally. In other words, out to ruin you socially or economically, etc. If the setting is a society that allows dueling but frowns on killing, there should be a lot more duels to first blood, or to the point of "demonstrating superiority" through not firing at all or into the air, etc.
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nightwatch View Post
One thing I came up with for 3rd edition (4th replicates this somehow, if I remember right) was Grudge-Enemy
Yes, in 4th you can buy Enemy with the Rival or Watcher limitations, neither of which want to see you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats
I was thinking of having will rolls to not back down at the end of each turn's firing in a pistol duel and when any amount of damage is done in a sword fight. Additionall I was thinking of allowing fast talk or diplomacy rolls to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of both parties while reloading in pistol duals. Thoughts?
For NPCs a Will role makes sense. Many Players would balk at having their actions determined by a dice roll. I say Roleplay it out. E.g., the duelists fire at each other, neither hits, but one or both of them may need to roll a fright check. Then the seconds approach you and ask if you're willing to apologize, etc... the NPC's reaction can be determined by any number of factor, reaction roll, intimidation vs. will, the result of his fright check. The PC's reaction would be up to the player.

In order to encourage your players to be sensible about it, make it clear that being merciless, blood thirsty, or foolhardy in a duel comes with clear social consequences: a negative reputation, legal trouble, enemies, etc.... Of course the social consequences of cowardice were just as dire at the time, but you demonstrated your courage by showing up and taking your licks.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Generally, RPG rules intentionally avoid dictating PC actions. That's the realm of the player. Choosing to fire into the air, quitting after a minor injury, and so on, are all legitimate PC decisions. If you need rules to force the PCs to produce the outcomes that you want, then your PCs aren't really roleplaying, at least not roleplaying the sort of characters you expect to populate your campaign world. Why do they not value the prestige gained by firing into the air and taking chances with their Fate? Why do they insist on fighting to the death -- or killing -- for a cause that isn't actually that important? Perhaps you need to have one of those out-of-game discussions about the expectations of the group and the game. If the players just want to kill things dead with their cool abilities, maybe you need more of a traditional dungeon crawl or action movie game.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 10-21-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
The_Nightwatch

Yeah, might be better to offer a carrot than use the stick of rolling to determine actions. Maybe:

- A campaign where Reputation is all, and the one who shows himself the most daring at duels gets the highest rep?

- Duels are used to determine Status, and killing will make you drop, whereas deloping (firing in the air), etc. will help it rise (a society that greatly values coolness under fire?)

- Successful duelists (who haven't had to flee a murder rap) get all the groupies? ;)

- The most powerful magical items can only be used by those who have never killed (why, I have no idea, but it's a story hook, right?)
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dueling, fenicng, kittens and bunnies, martial arts, swashbuckler