Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2023, 06:46 AM   #11
Darkhol

Default Re: Ingurpsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
What is the point, then? If it's about the fact the character will only have a limited amount of the material to draw from at a given location, that would be inherent in the Limited Use (Fast Reload) version, and can be part of the Special Recharge conditions for the Energy Reserve variant. If it's about the fact the character can leverage this ability to consume the material for other uses - weakening metal supports, disabling electrically-locked doors by draining their power, etc - then they need a separate Advantage to account for that, and Create (Destroy Only) covers you there.
To use power you must:
Absorb some amount of your power element > This refills your internal reserve for this element > Then you spend this reserve to use your power.

For example at first you must absorb some amount of fire and only after this you can shoot fire balls untill you spend all absorbed element, I think the best way to represent this like in above comment, ER with special recharge wich depends on element absorbed(destroyed) by character. Than it is looks like what I need.
Darkhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:48 AM   #12
Darkhol

Quote:
What is the point, then? If it's about the fact the character will only have a limited amount of the material to draw from at a given location, that would be inherent in the Limited Use (Fast Reload) version, and can be part of the Special Recharge conditions for the Energy Reserve variant. If it's about the fact the character can leverage this ability to consume the material for other uses - weakening metal supports, disabling electrically-locked doors by draining their power, etc - then they need a separate Advantage to account for that, and Create (Destroy Only) covers you there.

EDIT: This comes across a bit more combative than I intended, my apologies. I'm honestly trying to find out what aspect of them consuming material to power their abilities you see as important, so I can give appropriate advice as to how you might be able to handle it.

No need for apologies, my usual conversations with friends are more offensive then your comment, bro.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:21 AM   #13
Darkhol

Quote:
Well, what you need to decide is what impact the character being able to consume the source will have on the campaign. A Fire Conduit could potentially save people from a burning building (or save the building itself) by consuming the fire, possibly shooting it harmlessly into the air if necessary. A Smoke Conduit could generate a safe "bubble" to allow others to breathe normally in a smoke-filled area. A Concrete Conduit could tunnel through roads and some buildings. And so forth. You can certainly give them separate abilities to represent this (the Destroy variant of Create, Tunneling, etc), then fiat that the only way to recharge their other abilities is to use one or more of the Consume abilities.

If you like the mechanics of the characters basically having an Energy Reserve, well, that's an Energy Reserve with a Special Recharge. Since you're giving it to the characters as a freebie with their powers, you can play around with how much free ER the characters get, the recharge rates, how much material/energy needs to be consumed for each ER restored, etc, without worrying about modifiers and the like, until you find something that works alright for you. For pricing it, I'd say set it somewhere around [30] to double your ER - so if everyone gets ER 20 for free to start out, each +1 to ER costs [1.5]. That's based on characters by default having 10 FP to work with, and +10 ER (doubling what they have available) being worth [30].
This combination seems like the best variant for now. I think I just homerule the fact that they mustn't cover all object or energy source to "destroy" it, so they can partially suck out car accumulator or consume part of concrete block to fuel themselves. So with one level of control(destroy) you can fully extinguish big fire or eat 1 ton concrete block, but you will need lots of time for this.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:44 AM   #14
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhol View Post
To use power you must:
Absorb some amount of your power element > This refills your internal reserve for this element > Then you spend this reserve to use your power.

For example at first you must absorb some amount of fire and only after this you can shoot fire balls untill you spend all absorbed element, I think the best way to represent this like in above comment, ER with special recharge wich depends on element absorbed(destroyed) by character. Than it is looks like what I need.
Does the amount of power depend on the amount absorbed? If so , have you determined what that proportion is?

Can the absorption process be used as a weapon or defense against the element? For example, could a stone-powered character use absorption to reduce a fortress wall?

If the answers above are yes, I would second David Johnson2 and suggest tying it to the Destruction version of the Create power in GURPS Powers.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:49 PM   #15
Darkhol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Does the amount of power depend on the amount absorbed? If so , have you determined what that proportion is?

Can the absorption process be used as a weapon or defense against the element? For example, could a stone-powered character use absorption to reduce a fortress wall?

If the answers above are yes, I would second David Johnson2 and suggest tying it to the Destruction version of the Create power in GURPS Powers.
I already agreed with this statement in the comment above your's.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:18 PM   #16
Inky

Can Destroy be used as a defence against attacks made using that element? The text in GURPS Powers doesn't seem to be clear about that.

For instance, can an electricity Conduit absorb bolts of electricity thrown at him? If so, and if Destroy isn't fast enough to do that, then characters whose powers use a potentially dangerous element that might be used as an attack might need DR (Absorptive, Heal Only +80%) as well as or instead of Destroy. Which is expensive, but then being able to not only resist electricity-based attacks but use them as a free recharge does seem like a useful power.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:23 PM   #17
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Can Destroy be used as a defence against attacks made using that element? The text in GURPS Powers doesn't seem to be clear about that.

For instance, can an electricity Conduit absorb bolts of electricity thrown at him? If so, and if Destroy isn't fast enough to do that, then characters whose powers use a potentially dangerous element that might be used as an attack might need DR (Absorptive, Heal Only +80%) as well as or instead of Destroy. Which is expensive, but then being able to not only resist electricity-based attacks but use them as a free recharge does seem like a useful power.
That's where the power block rules come into play.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:21 PM   #18
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post

Yeah, using Destroy to defend sounds like a classic Power Block.

I'd happily allow Destroy and DR (Absorption) to be Alternatives of each other without quibbling over needing to switch between them.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:04 AM   #19
Darkhol

So, after reading all comments there is something like that:

ER(Special element) 20(12)
| Super(-10%)
|Elemental(Maybe)(-10%)
| Special recharge(One FP per Matter/Energy destroyed equal to 1-3(I need to decide here) lvl of destruction)(-70%)

+

1 lvl of Create(Element for example fire)(10)
| Destruction only(0%)
| Based on HT(20%)
| Ranged(40%)
| Reduced FP cost 2(40%)
| Elemental(-10%)
| Super(-10%)
(GURPS: SUPERS tells me I can use both)
| Reduced distance 1/10(-30%)
(We use multiplicative modifiers so it's 10󫎼,5)

+
DR 30(48)(We also use modifiers for attributes from Power-Ups 9: Alternate Attributes based on supers power level(Somewhat repeats TL modifiers from there), so some traits costs less, for our campaign we use 0,5 modifier for all types of ST, DR and innate attacks)
| Force field(20%)
| Absorption ER(40%)(PK Mygurps.com absorption revised)
| Super(-10%)
| Elemental(-10%)
| Limited: Element for example fire(-40%)