Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 11:53 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS 5E?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Content-wise, 4e is excellent. There is no need to make a new edition.

What GURPS really needs is to update the games' form-factor to integrate with the capacities of 21st century information technology.
Sure, nice desire and easy to say. Trouble is the execution. What format would actually please almost everyone? How much time and money to adopt and implement such a format?
Are we willing to skip new content while that happens?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-16-2023, 06:04 AM   #12
Haseri

I remember, ages ago, this question was asked, and one of the staff members mentioned the sensible thing would be some sort of modular database so GMs could construct their own advantage/disadvantage/skills lists, and really sell "GURPS is a toolbox" as a concept.

Of course, now we have D&D Beyond and Demiplane as a proof-of-concept. It doesn't even need a new edition, really.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:02 AM   #13
David Johansen

I'd want SJG to fix Strength and get Vehicle and Weapon design out. Ah well it's a fantasy. If taking advantage of the OGL debacle is the goal, now is the time , not three to five years from now.

The thing for now is to push Dungeon Fantasy and Disc World. Point out that while incompatible, conversion is easy.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:13 AM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post

The thing for now is to push Dungeon Fantasy and Disc World. Point out that while incompatible, conversion is easy.
......except as done now Dungeon fantasy isn't Gurps real strength and Discworld doesn't have anything close to universal geek recognition. as far as I can tell licensed products appeal mostly to people who were rpg fans to begin with.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #15
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Sure, nice desire and easy to say. Trouble is the execution. What format would actually please almost everyone? How much time and money to adopt and implement such a format?
I make no representations that it would be easy or cheap.

Quote:
Are we willing to skip new content while that happens?
I certainly am. It's been my feeling for some time that the new content we've been seeing is not worth the emphasis it has been receiving while fundamentals go unaddressed.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:55 AM   #16
dbm

While I agree that suggestions of a new edition have been discouraged by SJG in the past, they are clearly asking for feedback on TikTok. If nothing else, this is an opportunity to say “I would play GURPS if it (had / did not have) feature x”.

Crowdfunding could potentially make a revised core viable? Money-up-front takes a lot of the short term risk out.

My assumption would be any new edition would refine and re-present the system rather than make wholesale changes, much like how 4e was an evolution of 3e. That would mean the existing catalogue provides some broad utility while the key genres get re-issued for the new edition.

I would have said “never gonna happen” too, but that post from the official SJG account makes me wonder. [link]

Last edited by dbm; 01-16-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #17
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
......except as done now Dungeon fantasy isn't Gurps real strength and Discworld doesn't have anything close to universal geek recognition. as far as I can tell licensed products appeal mostly to people who were rpg fans to begin with.
(nods) While GURPS has done a lot of licensed products, you just can't hang your hat on them. There are the many people with no interest in them, and then there are the many fanboys who will look at a licensed treatment, and vehemently hate what the writers did with it: the "whaddaya mean the balrog has wings?!?/why did those clowns give so much face time to X, I hated that character!!!" group. The proof is simply in this: with the many licenses SJ Games has had a hand in (Conan, Wild Cards, Vorkosigan Saga, Riverworld, Discworld, Witch World ...), how many of them have turned into enduring product lines? Only one I can see; the GURPS Traveller line.

Or, well, the former. I am utterly unfamiliar with Discworld: an edition that pivoted to that would not get my dollars. While the Dungeon Fantasy line has much in it that's useful to any fantasy GM, I do not play dungeon fantasy: an edition that pivoted to that would not get my dollars.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.

Last edited by RGTraynor; 01-16-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:50 AM   #18
David Johansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
But they are what is available right now, today that SJG can sell to disgruntled D&D players right now. And right now, is the moment of opportunity.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:59 AM   #19
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
But they are what is available right now, today that SJG can sell to disgruntled D&D players right now. And right now, is the moment of opportunity.
But there are also other RPGs that play in the same space that GURPS like AGE, Savage Worlds, Year Zero, various d100 games, and Fate. So it is not as cut and dry as one would think.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:12 PM   #20
JMason

I'd rather see a new version of Lite, or a new intro book "Essental GURPS" (for a low buy in).

Or a "Starter Set" and before everyone jumps in with "That's what Dungeon Fantasy RPG is", no it's not. It's GURPS focused on fantasy, but is still full of "advanced" rules, tactical combat, high powered character options, etc.
Closed Thread