Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2021, 10:01 AM   #51
Anthony

Default Re: GURPS BattleTech, working out heatsinks and the effects of heat buildup

And then you have the clan wars, where the inner sphere's theory of victory was "You know, our mechs are more replaceable than yours, so into the meatgrinder we go".
Old 09-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #52
Prince Charon

Default Re: GURPS BattleTech, working out heatsinks and the effects of heat buildup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
And then you have the clan wars, where the inner sphere's theory of victory was "You know, our mechs are more replaceable than yours, so into the meatgrinder we go".
Even with that strategy, it took author fiat for the Clans to hold - or gain, really - as much territory in the Inner Sphere as they did.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #53
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I don't know if that was "entertaining" fiction but it''s definitely more like author-created dramatics than any actual game play I've ever see.
Well, I like the idea so I'm probably gonna incorporate at least a reactor that has a bit of damage to the shielding being able to explode.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #54
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Well, I like the idea so I'm probably gonna incorporate at least a reactor that has a bit of damage to the shielding being able to explode.
That I think of it was probably in one of the novels where the lead deliberately took the safeties off his reactor and ejected in the head of his Hatchetman leaving a bunch of Clan "Mechs to get plasma-fried.

If you want your BT game to be iike that novel that's your choice.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #55
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That I think of it was probably in one of the novels where the lead deliberately took the safeties off his reactor and ejected in the head of his Hatchetman leaving a bunch of Clan "Mechs to get plasma-fried.

If you want your BT game to be like that novel that's your choice.
Nah, I clearly remember dude dying, though he may have completely disabled the safeties first, so perhaps I'll incorporate that.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #56
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Nah, I clearly remember dude dying, though he may have completely disabled the safeties first, so perhaps I'll incorporate that.
Nope. He didn't die.

It was the original BattleTech Marty-Stu: Kai Allard-Liao who did it, at the Battle of Twycross (3050).

Sarna-Net Links there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarna Net
Allard-Liao side-stepped Malthus' first blow, his own strike with the hatchet inflicting serious damage to the armor of the opposing 'Mech's armpit even as Malthus prepared to crush the Hatchetman's head. The moment Doctor Lear shouted that she had finished with the circuits, the Leftenant activated his 'Mech's Full-Head Ejection System, as the Hatchetman's head launched upward on secondary rockets. Below, the 'Mech's fusion engine exploded, engulfing the Summoner and triggering a shockwave that detonated the explosives within the Gash walls, creating a chain reaction that sent thousands of tons of rock crashing into the Gash below, destroying the Guards and killing all but a small handful of the Falcon warriors.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:35 PM   #57
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
From House Steiner (FASA 1987):

We of ComStar are well-acquainted with the remarkable contrasts common to daily life in the Successor States. The average man or woman is by now used to incongruities such as using a cordless phone while riding a lumbering beast to the office or using food grown in a garden to pay for an appendectomy performed with a laser scalpel. Usually, it is only the more educated citizens who, having read of the glories of the Star League era, can see the irony of hunting their dinner with a bow and arrow and then watching their spouse cook it in a microwave.

Life in the Successor States isn't so bad. If you can cope with having to plow a rocky field because your agrobot lacks a cable six centimeters long, then you're perfectly suited to life in them there hills. If you enjoy the irony of zooming across the universe in a JumpShip, only to be forced to ride a jackass six klicks through a downpour, then man, you've got it made in these Successor States.
Wasn't it generally only in the core worlds where life is still sort of like back in the Star League era, but in the outer worlds/boonies, you're dealing with lifestyles more like TL5-6?

Like I remember reading, for example the Federated Suns having a bunch of "Golden Worlds" where education hadn't fallen from the Star League era, but stuff like sending out traveling schools/academies to attempt to teach the outer reaches of their territory due to those outer worlds not having much funding anymore (probably to sort of more push on them being sort of the setting's Space America with both the good and bad).
warellis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #58
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Nope. He didn't die.

It was the original BattleTech Marty-Stu: Kai Allard-Liao who did it, at the Battle of Twycross (3050).

Sarna-Net Links there.
While there's a bunch of stupid there, the explosion of the mech doesn't seem to have done anything but detonate previously placed explosives -- which they would have remote detonated except the person with the detonator control had been killed and they didn't have backups (because SF believes in single point of failure for critical systems; see Star, Death).
Old 09-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #59
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Wasn't it generally only in the core worlds where life is still sort of like back in the Star League era, but in the outer worlds/boonies, you're dealing with lifestyles more like TL5-6?

Like I remember reading, for example the Federated Suns having a bunch of "Golden Worlds" where education hadn't fallen from the Star League era, but stuff like sending out traveling schools/academies to attempt to teach the outer reaches of their territory due to those outer worlds not having much funding anymore (probably to sort of more push on them being sort of the setting's Space America with both the good and bad).
Basically, yes. The majority of the Inner Sphere was super-low tech. The core worlds were around TL 7~8 with a little 9. Only Earth, and ComStar enclaves, were at high tech.

I can't find the discussion where one of the Precentors joked about how poor NAIS (New Avalon Institute of Science) was equipped compared to Earth Elementary schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
While there's a bunch of stupid there, the explosion of the mech doesn't seem to have done anything but detonate previously placed explosives -- which they would have remote detonated except the person with the detonator control had been killed and they didn't have backups (because SF believes in single point of failure for critical systems; see Star, Death).
You are not wrong. On just about any point there.

Considering that the HCT-3F Hatchetman's head thrusters only last for 30 seconds . . . that doesn't seem like enough thrust to get away from the blast. Considering that there were two (three) people in the cockpit, only one was secure, and all survived.

(Dr. Lear was pregnant at that time, for those playing at home.)
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #60
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Considering that the HCT-3F Hatchetman's head thrusters only last for 30 seconds . . . that doesn't seem like enough thrust to get away from the blast. Considering that there were two (three) people in the cockpit, only one was secure, and all survived.

(Dr. Lear was pregnant at that time, for those playing at home.)
30 seconds under thrust will actually get you quite a distance. Assuming a leisurely 2G's felt acceleration, so 1G actual acceleration straight up (assuming they're on a world with 1G gravity), 30 seconds will get them over 4,000m (14,000+ feet) up, and ignoring air resistance they'll coast that much further up before starting to come down. They'll also be just about reaching mach 1, so I expect the actual speed of the cockpit will be rather slower.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battletech, heatsinsk, mechwarrior