Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
KataH

Default Cannot use Edit option - Locks Up

With GCA open and I want to edit anything, for example the Disadvantage of Overconfidence. I want to change the Self-Control number. So I click edit and the application locks up.
No error is received.
Task Manager shows the application is still responding.
Windows Event Logs are clear.

Using: Windows 10 (Latest build) - Run in Windows 7 Compatibility mode, Run as Administrator. Tried all different compatibility modes, even removed that option, ran the compatibility mode troubleshooter - no difference.

Was working fine until I was cleaning up my install and removed GCA then reinstalled it.

This also happens when, under Equipment, I try and add a user created piece of equipment. I am able to complete each step such as name, tech level, etc., but when I do the final step it locks up. I then use Task Manager to kill GCA, restart it, click the "Yes" button for "Load character from previously crashed GCA session?", and that new item is now listed in the Equipment list. However if I attempt to use the Edit button, it locks up again.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application.

Any ideas?

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Cannot use Edit option - Locks Up

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like you've got a setting pointing to a directory that doesn't exist. I see crashes like that sometimes when I've got the program pointed at a character sheet file that no longer exists.

My suggestion is to close GCA and run "C:\Program Files (x86)\GURPS Character Assistant 4\GCAClearAppData.exe", assuming you're using GCA 4. This clears all your settings and puts everything back to default. If the problem is a reference to a nonexistent file or directory, this should fix it.

But note that it WILL clear all your settings, so you'll have to put them back the way you want them.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
Celjabba

Also check that the edit window don't open outside the screen, which used to happen frequently to me in windows 7 after switching monitor configurations.

Edit : missed the bit about how you were able to start equipment config, so probably not that.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Also check that the edit window don't open outside the screen, which used to happen frequently to me in windows 7 after switching monitor configurations.

Edit : missed the bit about how you were able to start equipment config, so probably not that.
The Edit window opening off screen sounds like the most likely issue here, by far. The other pop-ups in that process are different and don't have saved positions, but Edit does.

KataH, you can use Stormcrow's suggestion of GCAClearAppData.exe if you want, or you can try manually removing gca.ini, or even just the applicable parts of that file, if you don't want to lose all of your settings.

GCA.INI is found in %appdata%\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 4. The simplest thing is to just delete it there. Otherewise, you could open it in a plain text editor, and delete the entire [WindowPos] block. (If you want to get really fancy, you could delete just the various EditItems lines.)

GCAClearAppData will delete everything in the AppData folder, so if you want a proper clean re-start, that will help.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #5
KataH

You guys are the best.
It was exactly that, the Positioning. I am using a laptop and normally have 2 external monitors. Since I am on the road right now I only have the single laptop monitor. Deleting all the EditItems lines in the GCA.ini did the trick.
Thanks for the extremely quick response.
Armin: I am looking forward to GCA 5!

KataH

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

If this happens again see the GCA FAQ entry for a couple different methods to move off-screen windows back on-screen. This way you won't have to shut down GCA, edit config files, etc.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edit option, locks up