Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
Lyrla

Default Relative Level is Effective Level?

A character uses a short sword. On my GCA 4 Quick View screen it says:
Name: Short Sword, Level:11, Relative Level: DX-1 then [ 1 ]

I get that based on his Attributes he is level 11 with this short sword, and the 1 in brackets is how many points he must spend.

My question is: Is Relative Level the same as Effective Level as used in the rules books? Does this mean this DX-1 is his modifier when he rolls to hit? His DX is 11, so if it is -1 to that, he would be rolling against a 10 Effective Level? Or am I misunderstanding something here?
Lyrla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Relative Level is Effective Level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrla View Post
A character uses a short sword. On my GCA 4 Quick View screen it says:
Name: Short Sword, Level:11, Relative Level: DX-1 then [ 1 ]

I get that based on his Attributes he is level 11 with this short sword, and the 1 in brackets is how many points he must spend.

My question is: Is Relative Level the same as Effective Level as used in the rules books? Does this mean this DX-1 is his modifier when he rolls to hit? His DX is 11, so if it is -1 to that, he would be rolling against a 10 Effective Level? Or am I misunderstanding something here?
One point in an average skill give the skill at level attribute -1. -1 is the relative level (ie -1 relative to the attribute used)

(the table in Characters p170)

The relative level applied to an attribute give you the level you roll against when there is no modifier (the base level)

So, with a DX of 11, the skill base level should be 10 if you paid [1] character point.

The skill with all modifiers (permanent or situational) is the effective skill level.
It varies given the situation, and it is the level you actually roll against.

For exemple, if you have a weapon that give +1 to skill but are targeting the enemy arm (-2), your effective level would be
10 (base) +1-2 : 9

If CGA show a level 11 at DX-1, you must either have DX12 or have a permanent +1 bonus added.

Perhaps the sword is Balanced ? or you have a perk: weapon Bond ?
CGA would normally show the conditional modifier under the skill, unless it is always applied.

Are you sure the DX is 11 ?

Last edited by Celjabba; 08-20-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:58 PM   #3
Stormcrow

Relative level is the thing you look up on the Skill Cost Table (p. B170). If your DX is 12 and you buy a DX-based skill at Attribute-1, your skill's relative level is DX-1. It's the skill's level relative to its governing attribute.

Effective level is the final number you get after you apply all the various modifiers to your skill level to do something. If your Guns (Pistol) skill is 12 and you're shooting an auto pistol .44M (Acc 2) at 20 yards (-6) in slightly dim (-1) lighting after Aiming for one turn, your effective skill is 12 - 6 - 1 + 2 = 7.

Knowing your relative level is useful if you use a skill with a different attribute than its usual one. Guns (Pistol) skill is based on DX, but knowledge of how to clean a pistol is based on IQ, and if for some reason you had to roll to do that, your relative level of DX-1 would become IQ-1.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
Lyrla

His DX is 12. I got the 11 from subtracting that -1.
I understand better now. Thank you so much, Stormcrow and Celjabba!
I need to re-read that section you pointed out, Stormcrow. I totally missed that you need to add MORE points to the skill to get a 0 or plus 1.
Lyrla is offline   Reply With Quote