Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2020, 05:17 AM   #1
Edeldhur

Default How do I create a healer?

Hi everyone, it has been a very long time since I posted anything.

I am playing a 'kinda' Fantasy GURPS game with 250 points, and wanted to complement my character with some budding healing capabilities (he is currently an Archer).

Now, we are using some Sorcery rules I do not master, and some Alternative Abilities rules I do not master also (I do not have a lot of GURPS system mastery, in case you are wondering :D).

So I wanted to know how I could start building the foundations of a character who can heal himself and others - for now I would like to have some basic, but functional healing power(s), but I honestly do not know how.

I was thinking that maybe a good start could be:

Healing (30 points)

Affects Self (+50%)
Reliable (because my IQ is 10... (+50%)
Magic (-10%)
(I believe there is a limitation which reduces the amount of Fatigue I can spend for each use? Cannot remember the name...)
(Maybe I could only use it once a day per character, or twice...)

Still for now, this means The power is costing a whopping 57 points, which is just too much to handle...

Any ideas/suggestions on how to get this one to work?

Thank you in advance!
Edeldhur

P.S. EDIT - We are using 4th edition
Edeldhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
Aldric

Default Re: How do I create a healer?

I'd start with fewer (or no) enhancements, and a few limitations to bring the cost down.
You can improve later. It won't change the final cost, but if you only have a few points to invest right now, that's one way of doing it, which works well with "I'm starting to develop this power"
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
Edeldhur

Thank you for the reply Aldric.

Ok, so the 30 points are set in stone I guess :D
Affects Self is relevant as it is my only means to heal myself.
I could remove Reliable, but with an IQ of 10 I am risking a serious possibility to actually fail when I try to use the Power, right? I could lower it to half though I guess.

So I am not really sure where I could reduce (or remove) the enhancements...
Edeldhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
coronatiger

There are several limitations you can add to reduce the cost below 30. Requires preparation, X uses per day, etc. With some creativity (and GM approval) you can bring the cost down to 6. Then, as you gain more points, you can remove limitations and add enhancements.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Gumby Bush

If you are using Sorcery Rules, you'll want a level or more of Sorcerous Empowerment. Let's say level 1 for [20];

Then you want Healing to come out to 20 or less. As an Alternate Ability, it will cost x1/5 of the cost. As a Sorcerous ability, its power modifier would be Sorcery -15%, rather than Magical -10%, but there is already a FP cost associated, so just Magical in this case.

Healing (Magical -10%; Affects Self +50%; Injuries Only -20%; Cannot Restore Crippled Limbs -10%; Takes Extra Time 1, takes 2 seconds, -10%; Contact Agent -30%; FP Cap, 2 FP -25%; Reduced FP Cost 1 +20%) [20] [4 as an Alternate Ability to Sorcerous Empowerment 2]

Were I the GM, I would be disinclined to permit Reliable on Sorcerous abilities, except to offset intrinsic penalties. Instead, buy Sorcery Talent for 10/level.

The "canonical" Minor Healing in Thaumatology: Sorcery (p. 17) is similar, but ends up costing [32]; requiring Sorcerous Empowerment 3 [40]; and costing [7] as an Alternate Ability. That version lacks Takes Extra Time and Contact Agent.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:49 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Here's a Healing build I have not used yet:

Healing [30], Injuries Only -20%, Magical -10%, Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute (time for bandaging), -30%, Triggering substance, Common (first aid kit) -20%, total [6].

This only works on injuries, rather than diseases, requires a first aid kit, and takes a minute. Let's try to upgrade it for you:

Healing [30], Reliable +4, +20%, Affects Self +50%, 4 uses/day -20%, Injuries Only -20%, Magical -10%, Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute (time for bandaging), -30%, Triggering substance, Common (first aid kit) -20%, total [21].

Reliable +10 is expensive, and a 14- roll will do at the start. You only get to use it 4 times a day, but adding three points from experience will take it up to 10/day, and three more makes it unlimited uses.

Last edited by johndallman; 08-03-2020 at 08:33 AM.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
Donny Brook

Since it uses a first aid kit, the Limited Uses could logically be mitigated by the Slow Reload option, i.e. restocking the kit.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #8
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Healing [30], Reliable +4, +20%, Affects Self +50%, 4 uses/day -20%, Injuries Only -20%, Magical -10%, Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute (time for bandaging), -30%, Triggering substance, Common (first aid kit) -20%, total [36].
The ability with the listed enhancements and limitations is 21 points, not 36.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
The ability with the listed enhancements and limitations is 21 points, not 36.
Thanks, corrected.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #10
Varyon

Do you need this to be something that you can do during combat, or is something slower acceptable? Affliction (Advantage: Regular Regeneration +250%; Extended Duration 100x +80%; Fixed Duration +0%; Contact Agent -30%; Melee, C, Cannot Parry -35%; Sorcery -15%) [35] could work. This requires you to touch the target's skin, and as a beneficial Affliction the target must pass an HT roll (but there's no penalty for repeated attempts). On a success, the target gains Regular Regeneration (recover 1* HP/hour) for five hours, restoring 5 HP, after which point you can use the Affliction again. As is normal for Afflictions, you can use it on yourself without issues. This essentially gives your entire party Regular Regeneration, so long as you have time to poke everyone who is wounded a couple times after the battle (and a couple times every 5 hours or so, to reset it). This isn't great, of course, but so long as you aren't getting into serious battles with a high frequency, should be able to keep everyone on their feet. Less Sleep 3 [6] synergizes well with this, as it means you can hit everyone with it just before going to sleep, then wake up just after it expires, so that you don't miss any time (with a normal 8-hour sleep cycle, you'd have 3 hours where nobody is benefitting). And Less Sleep is already useful for a scout-type character, so win-win. The next level up would grant Fast Regeneration (1* HP/minute), which still isn't combat-relevant but reduces healing times to functionally nothing between fights. Of course, a 5-hour duration is ridiculous there; you may want to drop Extended Duration to 3x +20%, which means it lasts for 10 minutes (in GURPS, 3x3 typically results in 10, although the GM may opt to go for 9 here, it works fine either way). That would be Affliction (Advantage: Fast Regeneration +500%; Extended Duration 3x +20%; Fixed Duration +0%; Contact Agent -30%; Melee, C, Cannot Parry -35%; Sorcery -15%) [54]. If your character is also a sorceror who can improvise spells and pick up new ones relatively easily, you'll need an appropriate level of Sorcerous Empowerment to set these as AA's of, but if healing is your only "spell," I think it would be fine to avoid that (or maybe charge a Perk).

Of course, if you need tactical healing rather than strategic healing, the above won't work, and you'll need to go with some variant of the Healing Advantage.

*If any character has HP 20 or more, this becomes 2 HP per cycle; if any has HP 30 or more, it becomes 3 HP per cycle, but I doubt you'll have any such characters in your party. Personally, I standardize this to 10% of HP per cycle; a character with HP 12 who gets hit with the Regular Regeneration effect would heal 6 HP over the course of 5 hours, or 1 HP every 50 minutes.

Tags
healing, powers