Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #31
PseudoFenton

Default Re: Meteoric Metal vs Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Another idea to throw into the ring, inspired by discussion upthread:
Oh I like this one! Much more straight forward and does add some cool functionality.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #32
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Another idea to throw into the ring, inspired by discussion upthread:

Instead of adding immunities or MR, allow the DR to be applied to Melee spells that bypass DR, and double DR against the rest of those MR-bypassing Melee, Jet, Area, and Ranged spells that otherwise interact normally with DR.
Being able to apply DR to melee spells that ignore DR is very marginal; many of the melee spells don't do direct damage. DR (deathtouch only) isn't useless, but that's pretty much what it is. Double DR against regular damage spells doesn't make sense, because it isn't resisting magic -- it's resisting a mundane effect where the effect was created by magic. It's kind of like providing extra DR against an object thrown by magic.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #33
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
it's resisting a mundane effect where the effect was created by magic
That's exactly how DR vs one power source works. I don't see a dichtomy here.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #34
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

I wouldn't bother apply DR to touch spells. If meteoric iron is unaffected by magic, it should just block the spells period, nevermind give some DR. I'd think it would do that now, as written, because presumably the magic is going from the mage through the armor to you (and if not, you're not actually touching the target). The Magic Resistance approach is okay, but I'd probably make it more effective than that, yet more limited - works on spells that affect the body parts covered only, helmets block mind control magics, body armor blocks most whole-body spells unless delivered by touch to another body part, etc.

The cheapest torso armor is 20x cost and thus in the 4K range, and blocks good and bad magic equally well. That's good enough for me, personally.

As for the "tinfoil" approach, just disallow it. Seriously, why make up complex rules instead of just saying, no, you can't usefully make meteoric plating for armor, it needs to be solid, and the thinnest form you can make is light scale or mail?

Just because some munchkin starts blathering about foil plating doesn't mean you have to provide it or let them make it. If you compelled to make them, just make sure you apply very, very harsh rules about rusting, layering armor, damage to armor (foiling will scrape off, and even a small scrape removes the defensive nature of it), etc.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, meteoric iron