Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Demonic Possession

I like demons but in DF there is little mention of possession which I think does DF a little injustice. The way I look at demonic possession is that demons can possess others while in spirit form. Some demons can enter the Astral Plane and when they do they can not directly interact with mortals they can try to possess them. What I feel happens is that the demon is able to overlap the head of a mortal person in the material plane and when this close can attempt to overtake their mind using their possession power. I would imagine a quick contest of Wills to determine if the demon can control the mind of the mortal. This allows the demon to "lock" onto the mortal and then control him or her when desired. When the demon is possessing the mortal, the demon is in the Astral Plane directly overlapping the material plane that the mortal is in. The demon will try to keep its spiritual body within the boundaries of the mortals body to make sure that if a PCs has a weapon that affects spirits then the weapon will harm the mortal before harming the demon in spirit form. The leads to an interesting idea where there could be a weapon that *only* affects spirits making it able to directly harm the demon but not harming the mortal that is being possessed. Maybe such a weapon could be clerical or for a demonologist.

Another idea that stems from this is the night hag. The night hag could be spiritual and when a person is sleeping then it could "ride" the sleeping victim at night. Possibly causing the victim to waste away from exhaustion. The succubus could also use a spiritual attack as well; they may entice or seduce the victim into lust while in spiritual form but later materialize to drain life energy via sexuality.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: [DF] Demonic Possession

Possession with the Spiritual modifier seems perfect for what you want - it even includes rules for being exorcised. Basic Set, page 76 for the Spiritual modifier for Possession. Base the contest on the Demons Will instead of IQ, and et voilla.

I've used possessed warriors as worthies in my DF game - they gain the Infernal template "on top of" any other racial template, and when slain the Demon possessing them comes out and fights the PCs.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Bruno

Default Re: [DF] Demonic Possession

Classic night hags Paralyze the victim and choke them, use their weight to crush the victims chest (treat as bear hug), or use Leech to steal FP, or just give them fright check after fright check to wear them away.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote