Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: Enhancement/Limitation to last as long as touch is maintained?

Or... How to build Burning Death (the spell from Magic) the advantage? The attack lasts as long as touch is maintained. Really, I'm trying to build it as a ritual for RPM... I just want to know what the price of the enhancement/limitation is for an attack that is sustained for as long as contact is made. I'm sure this has been thought of before, but I couldn't find any earlier threads on this.

Thanks!

Last edited by Raekai; 05-19-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Quick Question: Enhancement/Limitation to last as long as touch is maintained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Or... How to build Burning Death the advantage? It lasts as long as touch is maintained. Really, I'm trying to build it as a ritual for RPM... I just want to know what the price of the enhancement/limitation is for this. I'm sure this has been thought of before, but I couldn't find any earlier threads on this.

Thanks!
I'd consider modifying an enhancement: Extended Duration, Permanent (Melee Attack, C, No Parry, -35%), +98% or Extended Duration, Permanent (Contact Agent, -30%), +105% ought to do it.

So Burning Death is one of those spells I've actually got written up to a degree I'm willing to share (one of my players used it a LOT before we switched to RPM and even more after). I should note that while it looks like a Direct Damage effect, it's not. It's a Melee spell which requires that you touch your subject first. In RPM this translates as a Direct Damage effect. Keep in mind the spell cannot be exactly translated and there are no permanent effects in RPM.

Burning Death
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning (Cosmic, Incendiary; Cyclic, 10 second, 6 cycles, Resistible; Incendiary 2; Resistible, HT-5).
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

To affect a target with this spell you must first touch them. If they fail to resist they instantly suffer 3d burning damage and the flammability class of the subject is reduced by two steps (p. B433) for determining if they catch fire (which means flesh will catch fire on 3 points of burning damage or more). Every 10 seconds afterward the subject must roll HT-5 or suffer another 3d burning damage. This lasts for 1 minute if not resisted which is usually enough to turn a 10 HP subject into ash.

Typical Casting: Greater Destroy Body (5) + Damage, External Burning 3d (Cosmic, Incendiary, +50%; Cyclic, 10 second, 6 cycles, Resistible, +125%; Incendiary 2, +20%; Resistible, HT-5, -5%) (38). 129 energy (43x3).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: Quick Question: Enhancement/Limitation to last as long as touch is maintained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'd consider modifying an enhancement: Extended Duration, Permanent (Melee Attack, C, No Parry, -35%), +98% or Extended Duration, Permanent (Contact Agent, -30%), +105% ought to do it.

So Burning Death is one of those spells I've actually got written up to a degree I'm willing to share (one of my players used it a LOT before we switched to RPM and even more after). I should note that while it looks like a Direct Damage effect, it's not. It's a Melee spell which requires that you touch your subject first. In RPM this translates as a Direct Damage effect. Keep in mind the spell cannot be exactly translated and there are no permanent effects in RPM.

Burning Death
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning (Cosmic, Incendiary; Cyclic, 10 second, 6 cycles, Resistible; Incendiary 2; Resistible, HT-5).

To affect a target with this spell you must first touch them. If they fail to resist they instantly suffer 3d burning damage and the flammability class of the subject is reduced by two steps (p. B433) for determining if they catch fire (which means flesh will catch fire on 3 points of burning damage or more). Every 10 seconds afterward the subject must roll HT-5 or suffer another 3d burning damage. This lasts for 1 minute if not resisted which is usually enough to turn a 10 HP subject into ash.

Typical Casting: Greater Destroy Body (5) + Damage, External Burning 3d (Cosmic, Incendiary, +50%; Cyclic, 10 second, 6 cycles, Resistible, +125%; Incendiary 2, +20%; Resistible, HT-5, -5%) (38). 129 energy (43x3).
I like your idea of modifying the Extended Duration like that. That could definitely work. Also, I really like your write up for Burning Death!

And I know that we're not supposed to have permanent effects in RPM, but I cheated a little bit... Unless you have another idea of how to build a Petrification/Flesh-to-Stone type spell. I could use that too!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I like your idea of modifying the Extended Duration like that. That could definitely work. Also, I really like your write up for Burning Death!

And I know that we're not supposed to have permanent effects in RPM, but I cheated a little bit... Unless you have another idea of how to build a Petrification/Flesh-to-Stone type spell. I could use that too!
Just build it with a duration of over 100 years. That will last most games. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Bruno

After the 10 year mark, I'm quite willing to hit the Speed/Range table for further steps.

It doesn't get you "forever" any more than the vanilla rule but after that point, I don't think months plus-or-minus are really going to make a critical difference. But, for "forever", I'd take a look at the length of recorded history in my campaign setting and eyeball that as "close enough to forever to make no nevermind" ;) In a real-world game, 10,000 years (or so) would be good-enough for me. In my mythic Greek game, it wouldn't have been more than 500 years (Dawn of history!). In some scifi games that might be a very long time, but there's probably also time-travel kicking around at that point.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Which gives you a nice hook for your modern urban fantasy when the Assyrian / Egyptian / Chinese statue wakes up as the spell wears off...
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Which gives you a nice hook for your modern urban fantasy when the Assyrian / Egyptian / Chinese statue wakes up as the spell wears off...
Oh my. You have just given me a very beautiful idea. I never even would have thought of that... What if all of those clay soldiers are actually...? No, it couldn't be... Could it?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Oh my. You have just given me a very beautiful idea. I never even would have thought of that... What if all of those clay soldiers are actually...? No, it couldn't be... Could it?
It's been done before. Hell I've done it before. It can be quite awesome if your players know even a little bit about Chinese history. :D

Become a Patron!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Wait, Ghostdancer, how does that melee "direct damage" touch thing work? Does that allow it to bypass DR and the like? I don't think I've actually seen that. I may have to redo a few of my melee spells.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Wait, Ghostdancer, how does that melee "direct damage" touch thing work? Does that allow it to bypass DR and the like? I don't think I've actually seen that. I may have to redo a few of my melee spells.
No, that build still has to go through DR. Hmmm... -looks back at notes, sees wrong iteration number. Hits self with hammer- Damn it I am off my game today! The only thing that changed was the damage type. @_@

Burning Death
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Internal Burning (Cosmic, Incendiary; Cyclic, 10 second, 6 cycles, Resistible; Incendiary 2; Resistible, HT-5).

To affect a target with this spell you must first touch them. If they fail to resist they instantly suffer 3d burning damage (ignoring DR) and the flammability class of the subject is reduced by two steps (p. B433) for determining if they catch fire (which means flesh will catch fire on 3 points of burning damage or more). Every 10 seconds afterward the subject must roll HT-5 or suffer another 3d burning damage. This lasts for 1 minute if not resisted which is usually enough to turn a 10 HP subject into ash.

Typical Casting: Greater Destroy Body (5) + Damage, Internal Burning 3d (Cosmic, Incendiary, +50%; Cyclic, 10 second, 6 cycles, Resistible, +125%; Incendiary 2, +20%; Resistible, HT-5, -5%) (46). 153 energy (51x3).

Become a Patron!

Tags
burning death, contact, enhancement, limitation, rpm