Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2022, 11:05 AM   #161
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
So will he be acting on that?
Yeah, let's go for it! I'll go find a different corner deeper in the tunnel to tuck them away under.
Quote:
[19] 22-06-22 18:42:07 CEST
Camouflage by Default
3d6 <= 9
1 + 1 + 3 = 5 ... success
By my estimate, that's four trips at light encumbrance. Once I get them to the new spot, I'll check around the area some more to see if there's anything else hidden around there. Then it's off to the market to see if I can find someone who deals in poles and knives (I don't imagine anyone trades in improvised spears), and for lunch. I imagine I'll have to wait until tomorrow to go talk to merchants, but all that work's probably going to make me hungry. I wonder how much choice there will be, given today's like a festival day or something.

Maybe do some more exploring in the after lunch. Maybe could get a better look around the mines, given nobody's working. Maybe get a good look at the waterfall given that's where they dump waste rock.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #162
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Yeah, let's go for it! I'll go find a different corner deeper in the tunnel to tuck them away under.

By my estimate, that's four trips at light encumbrance. Once I get them to the new spot, I'll check around the area some more to see if there's anything else hidden around there. Then it's off to the market to see if I can find someone who deals in poles and knives (I don't imagine anyone trades in improvised spears), and for lunch. I imagine I'll have to wait until tomorrow to go talk to merchants, but all that work's probably going to make me hungry. I wonder how much choice there will be, given today's like a festival day or something.
GM: plot hook!
Player: Treasure!


The vendors are different... the food is mostly the same, but the portions are all larger and they're asking for 1L 4s.


Quote:
Maybe do some more exploring in the after lunch. Maybe could get a better look around the mines, given nobody's working. Maybe get a good look at the waterfall given that's where they dump waste rock.
Going to the mines, Julian is turned away by a grumpy guard. "We're closed for the council day." He is not allowed inside the mine tunnel. He IS able to see where the waste tunnel goes, and finds a secondary door into it. The tunnel winds along the cliff face until it gets to the waterfall. It must go closer than the rest of the city, to the waterfall, because he feels the vibration from the thunderous water and it grows to a roar. In the spot where they dump, there is a fog of fine water droplets, and close to no visibility. The lack of a view is made up for by the intense sound and vibration... Julian sees massive metal spikes as part of the structure, and the last 50 feet have a solid iron frame.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #163
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
GM: plot hook!
Player: Treasure!
Well, I don't see any particular reason why Julian would want to seek out an invading group, or why he would trust the obviously corrupt guards to conclude he just stumbled into this and isn't involved. They'd probably flog off the weapons too. This way, the invading group has no weapons, and the money at least goes to Julian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The vendors are different... the food is mostly the same, but the portions are all larger and they're asking for 1L 4s.
Nice. Will one be enough to fill me up for the day? Maybe I could buy the tastier food today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Going to the mines, Julian is turned away by a grumpy guard. "We're closed for the council day." He is not allowed inside the mine tunnel. He IS able to see where the waste tunnel goes, and finds a secondary door into it.
How far is the secondary door from the mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The tunnel winds along the cliff face until it gets to the waterfall. It must go closer than the rest of the city, to the waterfall, because he feels the vibration from the thunderous water and it grows to a roar. In the spot where they dump, there is a fog of fine water droplets, and close to no visibility.
It's been a long time since I had something resembling a bath... I'd like to try to bathe here. Even if I can't find soap it's something. I'll taste the water too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The lack of a view is made up for by the intense sound and vibration... Julian sees massive metal spikes as part of the structure, and the last 50 feet have a solid iron frame.
I wonder what the spikes are for? People climbing over? Fish falling from above; well, below? I guess they had to build the frame out and into the waterfall.

Last edited by TGLS; 06-23-2022 at 11:48 AM.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:45 AM   #164
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Nice. Will one be enough to fill me up for the day? Maybe I could buy the tastier food today.
No, its just a 25% increase in food. You did get a free meal from Elma and Neez though.


Quote:
How far is the secondary door from the mine?
About 50 feet away down the hall.


Quote:
It's been a long time since I had something resembling a bath... I'd like to try to bathe here. Even if I can't find soap it's something. I'll taste the water too.
The water tastes good. Cool and refreshing. Its not a great way to rinse... but just scrubbing the dirt off isn't bad.


Quote:
I wonder what the spikes are for? People climbing over? Fish falling from above; well, below? I guess they had to build the frame out and into the waterfall.
They're structural. The spikes are driven into the frame of the tunnel.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:36 PM   #165
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
No, its just a 25% increase in food. You did get a free meal from Elma and Neez though.
Hm. Is the 25% increase enough to make up for the smaller portions of the doughy food? Looks like I'll be down to 12s anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The water tastes good. Cool and refreshing. Its not a great way to rinse... but just scrubbing the dirt off isn't bad.
Not salty at all; what kind of ocean isn't salty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They're structural. The spikes are driven into the frame of the tunnel.
I see. Is the tunnel to the waterfall lit?

I suppose I could poke around the mines, but I don't imagine I'd find anything around there I haven't seen before.

Not sure what to do now; I suppose I could meander about. Are the crowds in the market doing anything interesting?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #166
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hm. Is the 25% increase enough to make up for the smaller portions of the doughy food? Looks like I'll be down to 12s anyway.
yes.


Quote:
I see. Is the tunnel to the waterfall lit?
No: a small amount of light is making its way through the mist, and through cracks in the wall opposite the cliff, where the main tunnel is.


Quote:
Not sure what to do now; I suppose I could meander about. Are the crowds in the market doing anything interesting?
The crowds in the market are much more masculine than normal. They mostly seem to be buying things: while it may be a "holiday", it doesn't seem to have any official customs associated with it.



The day ends, and Julian goes back to sleep.



That night, he dreams of two men talking through small mirror five inches across. Or is it a vasic stone? One of them is in the mirror, and they talk back and forth. The man in the mirror seems to be in vegetation tunnels like the ones Julian is in. That man is tall and thin, with a solem face, deep lines, and a beard clinging to the underside of his chin.


The man whose room he can see has a fine stone room with tapestries, rugs, a carved wooden desk, and vasic stone lights everywhere. This man has curly locks of hair and a thick mustache, as well as wearing a long flowing embroidered coat that almost turned into a robe.

Julian struggles to follow the conversation, but they talk a lot about Bumundo, the Hawkin, Spears, 20 stones, Tiskar, Skalindir, and surprise.



After a while, his dreams change, and he doesn't remember them. He wakes up in the morning.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #167
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The crowds in the market are much more masculine than normal. They mostly seem to be buying things: while it may be a "holiday", it doesn't seem to have any official customs associated with it.
Any merchants selling sticks or knives? Are they to busy to ask if they'd be willing to buy any? I don't suppose there's anyone around who looks like they work on fancy mechanisms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That night, he dreams of two men talking through small mirror five inches across. Or is it a vasic stone? One of them is in the mirror, and they talk back and forth. The man in the mirror seems to be in vegetation tunnels like the ones Julian is in. That man is tall and thin, with a solem face, deep lines, and a beard clinging to the underside of his chin.


The man whose room he can see has a fine stone room with tapestries, rugs, a carved wooden desk, and vasic stone lights everywhere. This man has curly locks of hair and a thick mustache, as well as wearing a long flowing embroidered coat that almost turned into a robe.

Julian struggles to follow the conversation, but they talk a lot about Bumundo, the Hawkin, Spears, 20 stones, Tiskar, Skalindir, and surprise.
I suppose Tiskar/Tiskara is another Hawkin/Lawin situation.
I wake up, and begin to write:

Another pins and needles dream last night. Two men were talking through a mirror, maybe a Vasic stone polished up to a mirror. One was tall, thin and had a goatee; he seemed to be in a vegetation tunnel. The other had curly hair and a moustache; he was living in much greater wealth than I’ve seen. They were talking faster than I’m able to keep up with, but I’m pretty sure they were talking about a surprise attack on Bumundo. The Lawin are involved somehow (as defenders?), and I think they were talking about how this would affect Tiskara and Skalindir. Maybe they’re worried about how they would respond, or maybe they have them bought off? They mentioned something about twenty stones. Maybe there are twenty stones up at the teleporter? Or maybe they’re trying to get a hold of twenty stones for some reason (special stones?). Maybe there’s an organization called twenty stones involved…

I stop writing and try to draw out a picture of the two men separately.
Quote:
[20] 22-06-27 23:45:12 CEST
Artist (Drawing) by default
3d6 <= 7
4 + 1 + 2 = 7 ... success
I feel a little surprised that I managed to draw something that looks vaguely like them. Maybe I could show these to people and ask if they know who they are.

To Do List
- Work at the mines
- Find someone interested in buying poles and/or knives
- Work on identifying the people in my dream
- Count the number of Vasic stones used in the teleporter complex (there are multiple stones used to push off enemies, right?)
- Ask around to see if "twenty stones" means anything to anyone.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:35 AM   #168
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Any merchants selling sticks or knives? Are they to busy to ask if they'd be willing to buy any? I don't suppose there's anyone around who looks like they work on fancy mechanisms.
No one is selling fancy mechanisms or poles.

There are merchants who sell knives, but you don't see anyone selling poles. The knife merchant says he will buy one knife for 4L. Maybe 5L if its big or nice, but he'd need to see it.

Quote:
I suppose Tiskar/Tiskara is another Hawkin/Lawin situation.
That's just a typo! Hawkin and Lawin mean two different things now!

Quote:
I feel a little surprised that I managed to draw something that looks vaguely like them. Maybe I could show these to people and ask if they know who they are.
nice. The pictures look roughly like the men.

Now he needs to work through the todo list...
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:15 PM   #169
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
No one is selling fancy mechanisms or poles.
Well, I guess making a pendulum will wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There are merchants who sell knives, but you don't see anyone selling poles. The knife merchant says he will buy one knife for 4L. Maybe 5L if its big or nice, but he'd need to see it.
I wonder if he'd buy all 20 at once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's just a typo! Hawkin and Lawin mean two different things now!
Right, the Lawin are the Hawkin who don't have tails and aren't small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Now he needs to work through the todo list...
OK, let's see where I'm at:

To Do List
- Work at the mines
- Find someone interested in buying poles and/or knives
- Get a sack to move the knives more efficiently (?)
- Check again to see if there are any pole sellers
- Untie/cut off the knives from the poles
- Sell the knives to the knife merchant, hopefully without getting the guards involved.
- Work on identifying the people in my dream
- Count the number of Vasic stones used in the teleporter complex (there are multiple stones used to push off enemies, right?)
- Ask around to see if "twenty stones" means anything to anyone.

Well let's hit them roughly in that order. Looks like I can't afford to buy breakfast this morning, so that will have to wait until later. I'll show the picture to Ump, Brog, etc. on the way in to work. Maybe Beardo is famous? I can only imagine Thin Man would be found with effort and luck. Ump's father said invaders pretend to be miners, so I should check with the Kapatas too.

Right, so after work, I'll head over to the market for a very large meal. Got to cover a missed breakfast after all. I'll do my shopping then too; if I could buy a sack for 1L or so I'll do that. I'll check for pole sellers again, maybe they weren't there for council day? And if there are no pole sellers, how did the invaders get them to begin with? I should save time and count the the Vasic around the teleporter too.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:51 AM   #170
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well let's hit them roughly in that order. Looks like I can't afford to buy breakfast this morning, so that will have to wait until later.
fortunately, he ate a little extra yesterday.

Quote:
I'll show the picture to Ump, Brog, etc. on the way in to work. Maybe Beardo is famous? I can only imagine Thin Man would be found with effort and luck. Ump's father said invaders pretend to be miners, so I should check with the Kapatas too.
Brog: "I haven't seen them. why are you looking for them? Who are they?"
Ump, Rails, and Yip haven't seen the two either.

The Kapatas looks at the paper. "What? Why? Who? No, can't say I've seen them."

Quote:
Right, so after work, I'll head over to the market for a very large meal. Got to cover a missed breakfast after all. I'll do my shopping then too; if I could buy a sack for 1L or so I'll do that. I'll check for pole sellers again, maybe they weren't there for council day? And if there are no pole sellers, how did the invaders get them to begin with?
Sacks... The only gurps sack I can find is a $30 dollar sack from DF1. You can find a good sized basket for 1L though.

Asking around, the pole-sellers are usually here, but haven't been the last week. Probably part of the increased security. They'll be back "when the alert is over" with an extra-large supply.

Quote:
I should save time and count the the Vasic around the teleporter too.
There are 12 stones lighting the room with the big stone. And 12 platforms the same shape and size as the large stone.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.