Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #511
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Vassarious makes a grandiose introduction for Kunnifax and Holo-Maximus...

They are all too happy to have a path of communication if they have some way of assuring that it is secure.

Once it's apparent that they are somewhat onboard and a secure communication method established, Vassarious will prepare to return to rendezvous with Halcyone.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #512
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Halcyone followed the van to the estate. The maid is let off just outside the gate, and has a code that allows her entrance through the gate.
Well, so much for hiding in the van and sneaking in that way. Did I see her pass code?

Quote:
[347] 22-02-23 18:25:59 GMT
Perception
3d6 <= 16
5 + 2 + 6 = 13 ... success
By 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The area is hardly isolated, with other estates stacked nearby. But some allowance has been made for privacy.
Any indication on what it backs on to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Each estate sits on about four acres and with 7 foot high solid brick fences with an additional two feet of "decorative" metal on top, and the houses sit back from the road. The cameras by everyone's gates do not sit back from the road.
So decorative and pointy or decorative with tripwires? Are the cameras only by the gate or do they cover the entire front way? I guess it's a long walk without hiding places from the fence to the big house.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 07:59 AM   #513
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
They are all too happy to have a path of communication if they have some way of assuring that it is secure.
It will be through people, not directly through electronics. No route is completely secure... but they're pretty confident about this one. Two agents in the capital can deliver or receive messages, as long as you check in with them often enough.

Quote:
Once it's apparent that they are somewhat onboard and a secure communication method established, Vassarious will prepare to return to rendezvous with Halcyone.
Vassarious is back on a plane in the luggage... And will meet back up with Halcyone once she finishes investigating the mansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, so much for hiding in the van and sneaking in that way. Did I see her pass code?
Make an IQ roll in addition to the PER to anticipate this need and set up at the right angle.

Quote:
Any indication on what it backs on to?
Another rather similar estate.

Quote:
So decorative and pointy or decorative with tripwires? Are the cameras only by the gate or do they cover the entire front way? I guess it's a long walk without hiding places from the fence to the big house.
The metal is decorative and pointy. The cameras cover the entire front way. looking through the gate, its about 25 yards to the start of cover, and another 25 yards beyond that to the house.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:56 AM   #514
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Make an IQ roll in addition to the PER to anticipate this need and set up at the right angle.
I'm not sure if I'm going to use it now, but I suppose it could still be useful.
Quote:
[348] 22-02-24 15:19:32 GMT
IQ
3d6 <= 16
1 + 5 + 4 = 10 ... success
--

I figure she isn't going to be done for at least a few hours, so I'll head back to the city. I'd like to find someone who sells bugs, ideally the same kind that V planted in the house of the priest of architecture earlier.
Quote:
[349] 22-02-24 15:30:32 GMT
Streetwise
3d6 <= 15
3 + 3 + 6 = 12 ... success
Then I'll wait around the maid office (or wherever she was picked up) and wait for her to return. If I don't know already, I'll try to get a feel for prices and wages are like too.
Quote:
[350] 22-02-24 15:35:27 GMT
Observation
3d6 <= 16
3 + 4 + 5 = 12 ... success
[351] 22-02-24 15:37:56 GMT
Research
3d6 <= 15
2 + 3 + 4 = 9 ... success
I'm assuming tomorrow's a day off. How much money do I have left exactly?

When I spot her, I'll catch up to her and try to persuade her to talk with me for a few minutes, offering a small amount of money. Provided she accepts, we'll go somewhere quieter and I'll say: "I need you to take an unscheduled day off tomorrow. I'll have someone take your place tomorrow, so you won't get in trouble at work or anything. I'll give you [an sum of money, TBD] in exchange for this service, along with a uniform, and any items and information needed for someone to pose as you"

Dunno what's an appropriate influence skill here, so I'll go with Memetics! as diplomacy.
Quote:
[352] 22-02-24 15:55:50 GMT
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15
4 + 3 + 6 = 13 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:43 PM   #515
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Vassarious makes their way to the rendevous...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #516
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'm not sure if I'm going to use it now, but I suppose it could still be useful.
And succeeded. Not sure if hyper-sensory awareness is applicable or not, but it feels like it might be.


Quote:
I figure she isn't going to be done for at least a few hours, so I'll head back to the city. I'd like to find someone who sells bugs, ideally the same kind that V planted in the house of the priest of architecture earlier.
You can get them for $100 each.



Quote:
When I spot her, I'll catch up to her and try to persuade her to talk with me for a few minutes, offering a small amount of money. Provided she accepts, we'll go somewhere quieter and I'll say: "I need you to take an unscheduled day off tomorrow. I'll have someone take your place tomorrow, so you won't get in trouble at work or anything. I'll give you [an sum of money, TBD] in exchange for this service, along with a uniform, and any items and information needed for someone to pose as you"

Dunno what's an appropriate influence skill here, so I'll go with Memetics! as diplomacy.
Halcyone spins a story about how her friend needs to disappear for a day because of some personal trouble, That she's a really good physical match, and that she's a great cleaner and won't get the maid into trouble at all. The Maid asks for a week's pay: $600.*



Quote:
Then I'll wait around the maid office (or wherever she was picked up) and wait for her to return. If I don't know already, I'll try to get a feel for prices and wages are like too.
Living costs are way up in the capital. A month's wage is $2,500 for a maid, but most of that is eaten up in rent and board. Living on the outskirts of the capital costs x3 normal. Living in the center is more like x10.

Quote:
I'm assuming tomorrow's a day off.
That's two days in a row, yes? It think its time for this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious makes their way to the rendezvous...

The rendezvous is at the park again...



Quote:
How much money do I have left exactly?
well, its a big fat wad of cash... I'm going to say you started with something like $20,000, and you've spent a week's living expenses at the ridiculous x10 prices of a big city before moving into someone else's home and taking over their job. So you're down $1500 from that, and you've spent at least another $300 on disguise kits, transportation, and so on.


*Social engineering has some interesting thoughts on page 48. Good read.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #517
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
well, its a big fat wad of cash... I'm going to say you started with something like $20,000, and you've spent a week's living expenses at the ridiculous x10 prices of a big city before moving into someone else's home and taking over their job. So you're down $1500 from that, and you've spent at least another $300 on disguise kits, transportation, and so on.
Let's call it $18k. And at x10 CoL, $1500 for a week at a hotel is awfully cheap (based on B265's 1/5 CoL for a day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You can get them for $100 each.
Great, I'll take ten. ($17k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Halcyone spins a story about how her friend needs to disappear for a day because of some personal trouble, That she's a really good physical match, and that she's a great cleaner and won't get the maid into trouble at all. The Maid asks for a week's pay: $600.*
I'll pay her price and thank her. Then I'll start noting down any details she provides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The rendezvous is at the park again...
Hopefully I can keep my busy schedule. I'll head over to the park.
"So how did meeting with the rebels go?"
"Got a way to avoid your shapeshifting shooting up a flare for the emperor?"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #518
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Let's call it $18k. And at x10 CoL, $1500 for a week at a hotel is awfully cheap (based on B265's 1/5 CoL for a day)

Great, I'll take ten. ($17k)
I'll pay her price and thank her. Then I'll start noting down any details she provides.
she gives a list of houses she cleans. She only has one code. She notes which people she expects a bit of chatter from and which people prefer her to be invisible.


Quote:
Hopefully I can keep my busy schedule. I'll head over to the park.
"So how did meeting with the rebels go?"
"Got a way to avoid your shapeshifting shooting up a flare for the emperor?"
You have both made the rendezvous.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:15 AM   #519
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Vassarious remains stealthy and fills Halcyone in on what was discussed in the caves. That they have the resistance organizing with the true spirit of the Emporer coordinating their efforts, and that they have contacts in the capital to relay information.

((OOC - Can we have set up a simple cipher to increase the security of the communications?))

They also recount that they have several methods for creating a screen from Maximus' divinations, but that they are somewhat complicated to arrange.
Spoiler:  

Vassarious explains about the secret access tunnel, and that point of access can be breached with one of them posing as Kunnifax and the other a prisoner.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #520
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
she gives a list of houses she cleans. She only has one code.
One code for the whole neighborhood or one code for Fericus's house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
She notes which people she expects a bit of chatter from and which people prefer her to be invisible.
So which list is Fericus on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious remains stealthy and fills Halcyone in on what was discussed in the caves. That they have the resistance organizing with the true spirit of the Emporer coordinating their efforts, and that they have contacts in the capital to relay information.
"So how did meeting with the rebels go?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post

((OOC - Can we have set up a simple cipher to increase the security of the communications?))
Could we retroactively leave a pen communicator there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
They also recount that they have several methods for creating a screen from Maximus' divinations, but that they are somewhat complicated to arrange.
"Well there's plenty of room at Cyraelian's; that's the priest I've been impersonating. We could probably fit a phone booth in his VR theatre. Will you need help lifting the blocks into place or can your current form handle that?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious explains about the secret access tunnel, and that point of access can be breached with one of them posing as Kunnifax and the other a prisoner.
"Are you ready to proceed with that plan or do you think further investigation is required?"

--

"I was planning on planting bugs in a former high priest Fericus's estate. He seems like the probable ringleader for the whole conspiracy. I figure monitoring his communications could provide meaningful intelligence. Perhaps a current high priest has gotten cold feet with our investigation? And failing that, it would be preparation for a kidnap operation, so we could interrogate him as to how they managed to pull of the initial alteration."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.