Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #661
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"I've been on my own a little while now, and I joined up with the caravan when I pretty much stumbled across it. So you're not here with your dad?
"No, my Father has business back home. This is my chance to see a bit more of the world. Ashish is with me to watch my back."

Quote:
Demons? What kind of demons? Like with horns on their heads and tails, or like spirits that possess people? There are lots of different demon stories!"
"Horns, Tails, Tusks, Fangs, Antlers, Trunks, Multiple arms, brightly colored skin, hideous visages... The demons of Karaka are said to be large and terrible warriors with the features of animals and of power. All the legends speak of their physical forms, and ability to appear out of no where, rather than possessing the bodies of others or knowing the hidden...

Quote:
When talking with the Karana users, he says that he wants to practice a little more and pick out how he wants to change his critter before trying to join a match. He will watch a few matches and see if he can pick up on what is effective and what isn't... he also watches the participants to see if they appear to make any guiding movements, or if they seem to be using their creature's senses during the match.
The participants are very much controlling their smoke creations, giving them strategy and changing it part way through fights. Different tactics are used, but the main payoff seems to be strength and defenses vs. agility. Sometimes especially small or large creatures are used, but the small creatures struggle to do enough damage, and the large ones often don't stay together or can't be brought out for a second round. Most participants seem to specialize in just a few different creatures, making those as strong as possible.

Quote:
On Peter's next trip to the jungle, he sends up his smoke birds to look around and see if he recognizes any of the hills from his vision.
Make a dreaming roll.

Quote:
Can I substitute an Influence Roll? Is this a job roll? is luck available? - Animal Handling 8 - Rolled a 9, so failure by one. What task am I rolling on?
This is a job roll. Influence won't work. A failure indicates Peter's foot gets stepped on by a horse and badly bruised (but not broken). You can burn your luck if you wish. Game effect is more reduced move than HP loss.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #662
the_matrix_walker

Spoiler:  

Peter will see if Anil wants to hang out a bit and play with him and Goliath. He will ask him if he can use the Karana smoke magic and if so, practice a little with him.

------------------------------------------------------

When he sees the matches again, Peter will count out the time and see how long the creatures of various sizes tend to last. He wants to compare how long he's been able to make them hang around to those he may be competing against.

------------------------------------------------------

At some point, Peter will ask around about how he might get his hands on a bow and some arrows, so he can practice and go hunting.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #663
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

If the creatures have been hit at all, they only seem to last for a few minutes afterwards. If they haven't been hit, they seem to last for 10 minutes. Peter seems to have about 5 creations in him, and they last for about 4 mintues each, though he can make more of the smaller creations and they last less time (total is about 20 minutes either way)

Peter's requests for a bow and arrow to practice with are met with raised eyebrows. Surely he would prefer a gun? He also hasn't been paid yet, so he doesn't have anything to buy the arrow with. Mr. Stanway (tall thin archeologist who found him the job) is more helpful than most, furrowing his brow and commenting that if they were either back in england or further northwest finding a bow would be easier.

Anil says he owns a bow. "Wait, you can shoot? are you any good?"

Karana? You can use Karana? But you're english! Who taught you? I understand the basics, and I've done a little... but really only in studies. I have more important things to study on this trip. I need to learn how these sorts of things work and figure out men like Mr. Pundell. Though if you want to go shooting sometime that would be fine way to relax.

Peter is able to find those hills using his birds. They're to the south east, maybe five miles away.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-05-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:24 PM   #664
the_matrix_walker

Peter will tell Anil "sure, I'm getting pretty good! I want to get better so I can hunt better!"

He tells him that he just learned Karana recently, but he's getting pretty good at it. If Anil wants to go to the fire, he'll see how he likes smokey friut and make a critter to play with.

After spending a little time together, if Anil seems like a fun companion with a good nature, Peter will say "I think I may have a hunch... Want to take a hike with me?"

Peter will think about the birds-eye view compared to his vision and try to figure out the distance and direction of the site.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #665
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Anil isn't much up for the Karana experiments, and suggests they shoot the bow instead. Peter manages to shoot better than Anil, but he feels like he got lucky.

Anil is good natured, and does seem to like Peter, but much more serious than fun, and always seems to be busy. Will Peter attempt to take Anil with him on the search?

Peter thinks he can get to within about a quarter mile of the ruins... hopefully close enough that the birds can find the ruin.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #666
the_matrix_walker

Peter invites Anil along for an adventure in the jungle and encourages him to bring the bow... maybe they can catch some lunch!

If Anil accompanies him, Peter will enjoy the conversation... Talking to Goliath is all well and good, but it's nice to have someone who responds!

After a while travelling, Peter will turn the conversation to the ruins... "So, I know it sounds crazy, but I had a dream, and I think I know where the ruins are... Wanna bet I can find em?"

Peter will get as close as he can to where he thinks the ruins are and starts a fire to send out his smokey-sparrow-scouts
Old 05-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #667
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its a pretty good hike (10 miles, all told), Peter needs to work during the day, and his foot has been stepped on, which means he's moving pretty slow.

Anil thinks for a moment, then thinks its worth coming along. He makes the comment: "We should get some horses for this. You're feeling pretty good about this hunch? I can get horses and even get you assigned to come with me during daylight hours. What do you say?"

Old 05-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #668
the_matrix_walker

"That would be great! I feel really good about it! My foot is kinda messed up, so horses would be awesome. If we go, I betcha all we'll have to do is decide where to put the statues of us!"
Old 05-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #669
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

That night, Peter has no dreams.

In the morning, the two boys set out on horseback. This is Peter's first time actually riding a horse. Anil laughs at him several times as he slowly mounts and plods his way though the jungle, getting a face full of leaves more than once. The horse does seem to like him, though it doesn't understand why he's so bad at riding.

Peter gets close enough that he feels ready to make the birds. It takes a little searching and a few tries, but on the third fire, he sees a stone ruin in a hollow in the trees through the bird's eye. Its about 100 yards away.

Anil watches all of this with great curiosity.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #670
the_matrix_walker

"Got it!"

Peter starts leading Anil to the part of the ruins he spied. "This is a great spot for the 'Re-Discovery Commemorative Dog Park!" And he lets out a big guffaw at the joke.

As they got to the spot, Peter says "So did you think I was a little crazy? What do you think now!?"

Peter enjoys the discovery and limp-struts around a bit.

Tags
lost in dreams