Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Blood Legend

Default Duplicating the Armor from Dark Souls

Could someone familiar with From Software's game Dark Souls who knows Low-Tech's armor better than I do make me a comprehensive list of all the little parts and pieces being used in the Knight's Armor and Elite Knights Armor sets? I feel like parodying and this is a bit too massive for me. I got the books, but Iiiiii don't know what I'm looking at.

Also how do I go about making this more German-y or Russian-y?

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
tg_ambro

Default Re: Duplicating the Armor from Dark Souls

Do you have a picture link so that anyone giving you a hand doesn't have to go hunting high and low to figure out what pieces your talking about?

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Do you have a picture link so that anyone giving you a hand doesn't have to go hunting high and low to figure out what pieces your talking about?

I can go get one, gimme a mo. I'll post it here.

Knight From the Back

Knight Swinging

Knight Chest from Front

Elite Knight Front Left

Elite Knight Front Right

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 04-20-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Demon Souls has extremely realistic TL4 armor for the most part. If Dark Souls didn't jump the shark (I haven't played it yet), then really you can just use historical armors from the 16th-17th centuries.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Blood Legend

Solid realism tends to stop around starting armor but it's not horrifyingly bad.

I know nothing of armors, I can't tell what's a belt for an armor strap or his quiver. Also what's that blue thing? Best I got is 'Shirt.' Is it armor? Is it decoration? No clue! So I ask that someone can spell it out for me.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Also what's that blue thing? Best I got is 'Shirt.' Is it armor? Is it decoration? No clue! So I ask that someone can spell it out for me.
He's wearing it over a corslet, so I'd call it a belted tabard.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Blood Legend

Also the everything else. What kind of helmet is that supposed to be and what nationality does it look like they got it from? Google says greathelm but they also lump that with bucket helms and all kinds of other stuff.

Also I take it corselet is synonymous with chest plate? I'm getting nothing from gca and a lot of womenly pictures on google...

Infact it's really hard to google anything without getting modern women's clothing. And this would be the source of my issues.

Last edited by Blood Legend; 04-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
gjc8

Looks to me like plate on the chest, arms, and hands layered with a mail haubergon (see LT pg. 101) which protects the armpit and elbow gaps and the abdomen. Note that the gauntlets only cover the outside of the hand, as described on LT 101. I'm not an expert (and really, that disclaimer applies to everything in this post), but it looks like the plate has fluting (LT 110). I think I see segmented plate under the tabard protecting the abdomen.

The leg armor doesn't look consistent between the pictures, and there seems to be partial coverage armor (see LT 100). He's got plate protecting the knees, and sometimes the shins. The rest is sort of hard to see clearly, but it looks like partial coverage on the thigh from the mail haubergon and either light or medium leather or just clothing on the rest of legs and the feet.

On the head it looks like a full helm layered with a mail coif, and the coif is extended as described on LT 111.

The shield looks like a heater shield.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
Looks to me like plate on the chest, arms, and hands layered with a mail haubergon (see LT pg. 101) which protects the armpit and elbow gaps and the abdomen. Note that the gauntlets only cover the outside of the hand, as described on LT 101. I'm not an expert (and really, that disclaimer applies to everything in this post), but it looks like the plate has fluting (LT 110). I think I see segmented plate under the tabard protecting the abdomen.

The leg armor doesn't look consistent between the pictures, and there seems to be partial coverage armor (see LT 100). He's got plate protecting the knees, and sometimes the shins. The rest is sort of hard to see clearly, but it looks like partial coverage on the thigh from the mail haubergon and either light or medium leather or just clothing on the rest of legs and the feet.

On the head it looks like a full helm layered with a mail coif, and the coif is extended as described on LT 111.

The shield looks like a heater shield.

There are two different knights in those photos. The "elite" knight would be wearing the blue tabard. But I'm making a close approximation of both so, it doesn't really matter.

What's up with the oversized pauldron on the off-hand? Is this a sword play style thing I dont know about or just rule of cool going on?

Last edited by Blood Legend; 04-23-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
There are two different knights in those photos. The "elite" knight would be wearing the blue tabard. But I'm making a close approximation of both so, it doesn't really matter.
If I have time this weekend I'll try to go through them piece by piece in Low-Tech's terms.