Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Greg 1

Default Magic System from MH

I was very happy to see on the front page of the SJG website that the magic system from Monster Hunters is going to get its own book, full of examples.

That's just what I want! Bravo! :)
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Magic System from MH

I haven't read Monster Hunters. In a few words, how does the magic system work?
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
It's a variation on the Energy Accumulating version of Path/Book Ritual Magic from Thaumatology (and a long time before that, developed for the GURPS version of Castle Falkenstein). It's extremely flexible and pretty neat, but a book not only explaining it at greater length than there was room for in MH1, but also providing a lot of examples, will be extremely welcome for actually using it easily in play. The huge number of options available could paralyze some players and GMs with indecision, or make them do a lot of extra prep work, kind of like having characters with huge Modular Abilities.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Kage2020

Colour me happy with that news.

I'm still bouncing all over the place trying to find the "perfect" fit for a combined magic system for a Earthdawn and Shadowrun and thus far RPM is one of the contenders. :D
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
There are 9 magical paths, two effect levels, and half a dozen types of effects. So you wanna be Conan? The GM rules that's Lesser Strengthen Body. You wanna be Hercules? Well that's Greater Strengthen Body. The path determines the skill to use; the type of effects determine base energy cost; and greater effects multiply the energy costs. Duration and area demand energy as well. Then you "gather energy" with a series of skill rolls, which takes time. The more energy, the more time and the more checks, and more checks mean more risk. These checks accumulate a penalty if you have to do a lot of them to build up a big spell, which implies that you need a high skill to cast a big spell. Or you could get help, but then you take a penalty for assistants, so that's a wash. Because spells take a long time, especially the big ones, you store them in a charm, so a witch will be festooned with more than a dozen charms, each of which can quickly release a spell that took her time and effort to cast.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Refplace

Rather then start a new thread I will ask here.
I have a variety of magic systems in the campaign and the idea is that at least a few people will learn more then one.
One of them is a Path/Book system and I was thinking of adding to it the System from MH.
There are a lot of similar skills.
The path system uses Effect Shaping not energy accumulation.
It is more in line with the system from Thaumatology so Rituals use one Path, though they may default to a few.
Traits in common.
Ritual Magic, 16 Path Skills and for advanced users Ritual Adept.

If I add the Ritual Path system from MH I am thinking it would be for advanced users and give them more flexibility.
Ritual Adept and Path skills could share, though there may be additional paths not covered in the basic guild.
Should Ritual magic be learned separately for both? Or are they similar enough that its reasonable to share?
Would you as either kind of mage see a benefit to having both?
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Langy

Ritual Magic isn't used in RPM; instead, it uses Thaumatology.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Ritual Magic isn't used in RPM; instead, it uses Thaumatology.
Duh. Sorry thought I had just renamed the skill for the current one.
Rest of question still stands though.

Assuming you have to learn 1 extra skill Ritual Magic or Thaumatology would it be worth it to you to learn both?
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Langy

Not really; the main difference is that in Energy Accumulating magic it takes a variable amount of time to succeed based upon skill, while in Effect Shaping magic you're almost hard-limited on what you can perform due to skill, but it takes a set amount of time.

In other ways, they're practically identical.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Not really; the main difference is that in Energy Accumulating magic it takes a variable amount of time to succeed based upon skill, while in Effect Shaping magic you're almost hard-limited on what you can perform due to skill, but it takes a set amount of time.

In other ways, they're practically identical.
??? Either Ritual Magic skill or Thaumatology skill can be used for either Effect Shaping or Energy Accumulating versions of Path/Book ritual magic. The two dichotomies aren't tied together.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual magic, ritual path magic, thaumatology