Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #31
vierasmarius

Default Re: Rituals Wanted!

I'm greatly looking forward to this book, especially if it talks about using RPM in a wider variety of game types. Will there be more in-depth discussion of what could constitute Lesser / Greater effects, or alternate pricing schemes for such in a "non-secret magic" setting? Also, will there be official rules for applying enhancements (Armor Divisor, Accuracy, Bombardment, etc) to attack spells?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #32
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Will the new book include tips for users to create further additional spells/rituals/whatevers?
As Langy said, the entire raison d'etre of RPM is that users make up 90% of the rituals on the fly, so the main system is heavily weighted toward that already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Will there be more in-depth discussion of what could constitute Lesser / Greater effects, or alternate pricing schemes for such in a "non-secret magic" setting? Also, will there be official rules for applying enhancements (Armor Divisor, Accuracy, Bombardment, etc) to attack spells?
Yep and yep.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #33
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
I infer that Magery is an advantage that cannot be learned.
No, Magery is learnable. The first draft (in progress) makes that explicit.

Quote:
For utility “off the shelf,” I hope many of the sample charms will feature energy costs within these ranges (30 to 40 for a non-mage, 100 to 157 for a weak mage). The samples in the word doc are great, right in range for a weak mage but well beyond the capability of a non-mage.
I hope so as well! Please note that the two sample rituals were chosen to illustrate how I want people to format their spells; thus, I had to invoke a Greater effect or two to make sure everyone sees how to format the energy cost, etc. But make no mistake -- I'm hoping to get several small spells as well. In fact, to be sure this is noticed:

Attention Everyone: We are looking for small (10-40 energy) spells as well as huge, impressive ones. Don't think that every ritual has to part the sea or end the world.

That oughta do it. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
Gef

Thanks, RPK. Is there any point in submitting collections? By collection, I'm referring a grimoire containing multiple, thematically united rituals. -GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #35
Gef

A couple of questions on the details of the system. I know how I'd rule, but I presume the point of all of these examples is tpo generate some consistency.

You and I are wizards who decide to fight a duel with swords. You create one out of thin air. I have a steel tool of the appropriate size, so I transform it into a sword. You and I just got equivalent swords, but I spent more energy on mine, right?

Can a dead body be affected by Path of Body, Undead, or Matter? If I animate it as a zombie, for instance, is that create undead, transform undead, transform body to undead, or transform matter to undead?

Thanks,

GEF
Old 01-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #36
Langy

Quote:
A couple of questions on the details of the system. I know how I'd rule, but I presume the point of all of these examples is tpo generate some consistency.

You and I are wizards who decide to fight a duel with swords. You create one out of thin air. I have a steel tool of the appropriate size, so I transform it into a sword. You and I just got equivalent swords, but I spent more energy on mine, right?

Can a dead body be affected by Path of Body, Undead, or Matter? If I animate it as a zombie, for instance, is that create undead, transform undead, transform body to undead, or transform matter to undead?

Thanks,

GEF
I'd say creating a sword out of nothing should be more energy expensive, probably due to being a greater effect.

Creation of zombies is Path of Undead, transforming a dead body into tasty food would be Path of Matter.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #37
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I'd say creating a sword out of nothing should be more energy expensive, probably due to being a greater effect.
Fair enough. Is creation always a greater effect, and transform always lesser? Would a more complex device be cheaper to create out of nothing than from raw maeterials?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #38
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Creation of zombies is Path of Undead, transforming a dead body into tasty food would be Path of Matter.
So dead bodies are matter unless you animate them, in which case you do not need Path of Matter, correct?

So if, for instance, I wanted to probe the memories locked in the brain of a recently deceased man, perhaps to determine how he died, or the combination to open his safe, I could do that easily with Sense Matter, or with more difficulty using a combination of Create Undead and Sense Undead? And I would use Create, instead of Transform, to render the brain eligible for communication?

GEF
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #39
Langy

Quote:
Fair enough. Is creation always a greater effect, and transform always lesser? Would a more complex device be cheaper to create out of nothing than from raw maeterials?
Again, I'd rule that it should always be cheaper to transform raw materials into a device than to create it out of whole cloth.

But creation is *not* always greater and transform is *not* always lesser. This is all very much up to GM fiat at the moment, sadly. That's one reason why I want this book:)
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #40
Langy

Quote:
So dead bodies are matter unless you animate them, in which case you do not need Path of Matter, correct?

So if, for instance, I wanted to probe the memories locked in the brain of a recently deceased man, perhaps to determine how he died, or the combination to open his safe, I could do that easily with Sense Matter, or with more difficulty using a combination of Create Undead and Sense Undead? And I would use Create, instead of Transform, to render the brain eligible for communication?

GEF
In that case, you'd probably need Sense Mind, possibly also with Sense Matter or Sense Undead.

Tags
magic, ritual magic, ritual path magic, thaumatology