Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #31
Rasputin

Default Re: GURPS Action 5: Dictionary of Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Doesn't DF already have a Traps book for that sort of thing, though?
Yes. (Well, technically, DFRPG does, not GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.) That's pretty much why I think this shouldn't be a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Hazards are different from traps. Traps often exploit hazards, or artificially create them, but hazards include many things "innocently" lying around the place without the purpose of being dangerous.
Much of what is a hazard comes in the "Special" entry when rolling up dungeons. This is something of a catch-all for things like hazards, architectural tricks, weird games, that kind of stuff. This is something on which D&D supplements have fallen down over the years, as it's hard to make random tables for these things. (The Tome of Adventure Design does the best job in my book.) A supplement dedicated to things like this might have some crossover appeal.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:41 PM   #32
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
The ever-popular leezard kobolds and their lairs filled with all sorts of untimely death. :)
I personally hate lizardolds... but I'm fine technologically advanced dinomen. Or even stonepunk* dinomen.

* Anachronistically so, with stone aged traps that somehow survive down the ages just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Nobody builds a foundry or glassworks to be a deathtrap...
OSHA would have words about the lack of railings and other safety features in the Death Star.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #33
Plane

About "H is for Heat" on 16, if pushing a grappled foe into a heat source of 1d+ inflicts 1/die damage to you, including 2 for a barbecue grill, how is it that it's possible to press a beef patty onto a barbecue grill without burning your hand?

It will burn you once the grill heats up the patty (at which point you'd use a spatula to press it down or lift it off) but that takes more than a second.

Do my hands have 2DR (Burning Only) from washing dishes in hot water a lot?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #34
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
About "H is for Heat" on 16, if pushing a grappled foe into a heat source of 1d+ inflicts 1/die damage to you, including 2 for a barbecue grill, how is it that it's possible to press a beef patty onto a barbecue grill without burning your hand?
Is that what happens in an action movie or what happens in real life?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #35
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Two possibilities:

1 - Reality: A lit barbeque grill that you're pressing a patty on ain't doing no 1d+ damage. By the time you're putting a patty on, it's burned down, the flames have settled and you're only getting the heat of the coals. What's on the chart is for when it's still a veritable nuclear inferno with flames jetting several feet from the lighter fluid going up.

2 - This is pure Cinematic nonsense, it's right there on the cover where it says Action!*, so you should just not try to fit reality into it.

* Clearly the exclamation point is silent. ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #36
Dexion

A great book ! I love it and I will use it, heavily :)
Thank you for this Kromm ^^
Dexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #37
bert

I find this Murderous Manual highly useful, of course for Action campaigns but mostly for horror gaming. When Swedish cult rpg Kult was launched in `91, a chapter was dedicated to accident. This helped set the tone and was useful in-game... the A-Z here is like a super-sized, super-detailed and more comprehensive version of those rules.

Never have there been so many ways of mutilation! Love it!

BTW, Action 1-5 would be a great GURPS hardcover. Just sayin.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #38
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
By the time you're putting a patty on, it's burned down, the flames have settled and you're only getting the heat of the coals. What's on the chart is for when it's still a veritable nuclear inferno with flames jetting several feet from the lighter fluid going up.
If we're talking about distance from coals instead of distance from grill, that's probably got to add around a foot of inherent distance as well.

Any idea for rules for fire hitting metal objects (like weapons), not being high enough damage to warp the metal (reduce HP) by getting past the DR, but gradually heating up the weapon so that it inflicts Burning Damage to the touch and damages someone holding it unless the handle is insulated or they're wearing gauntlets?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #39
Evil Roy Slade

I join the general chorus of hurrahs: the Action genre as written doesn't appeal to me that much (I have one or two of the earlier pdfs but I have never played it) but this book is more like Generalized GURPS Mayhem, applicable to a wide range of genres. Yay Kromm!
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:47 AM   #40
JazzJedi

Fantastic idea for a book! Getting mine right now!
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dictionary of danger