Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #221
malloyd

Default Re: Yrth technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
And printing did not come through alone; other technologies came with it. Enough, IMO, to plausibly motivate a mage somewhere to run a Divination on "what's going to happen to us if we keep allowing this technology to develop?".
The downside to that is that if there are divinations capable of that, there are all sorts of other things that you can ask them about. Somebody will after all ask "who is going to rebel against the crown", or "who are the worst criminals of the next generation" or "which heresies most threaten the true faith". OK we've got the list of babies to kill. Or "if we start a war, are we certain to win". No? Then we don't.

Most of the problem with an enforced tech ban is that if you can pull it off, you should control everything else in the world too, and the nigh omnipotent Illuminati are plot killers. There's a reason stories that have one are mostly about how they fail and fall, which is much of the reason I've always thought the whole thing was a terrible approach - I don't *want* the central story of my fantasy campaigns to be circumvent the tech ban conspiracy, and just having one in the setting book tends to encourage that - witness how much of the discussion of Yrth on the forums is about it.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #222
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
The canonical strong hint in Banestorm (which I'm rereading in toto after too long, considering I'm running the setting at the moment) is dragons backing and/or manipulating the feudal powers and mages.

Which makes some sense; what dragon wants organised groups of people with cannon?
The dragons don't want organized groups of people at all. That was the point of the hint. Anti-tech is anti-human.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #223
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Most of the problem with an enforced tech ban is that if you can pull it off, you should control everything else in the world too, and the nigh omnipotent Illuminati are plot killers.
Well, you should control everything else that you actually want to control. The problem is having an entity with the power and motivation to ban tech, that lacks the desire to do other things that are equally blatant.

It's not impossible, but it usually involves things that have so much power that the world is pretty much a toy (Yrth is actually an MMO, and the admins frown on things that are out of genre).
Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #224
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, you should control everything else that you actually want to control. The problem is having an entity with the power and motivation to ban tech, that lacks the desire to do other things that are equally blatant.

It's not impossible, but it usually involves things that have so much power that the world is pretty much a toy (Yrth is actually an MMO, and the admins frown on things that are out of genre).

The way that MoS and the other groups are written, they are basically backing up the control that the Nobility, the big mage guilds, and the Church have anyway.

So, taken as a whole with their backers and their reason for being, they do control everything.

Plus, if you allow that they are being manipulated by dragons and also understaffed then the narrow focus is understandable.

Tags
banestorm, yrth