Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2016, 06:48 AM   #61
Gollum

Default Re: Alternative IQ distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I agree, but for that same reason, would entertain talents for realistic animals that cover a few IQ based skills.
I fully do agree. In addition to high DX and Per, what allows to make realistic "intelligent" animals is Talents.

As Kdtipa showed it above, Talents really allow to built characters with different kinds of intelligence in GURPS as written.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #62
Gollum

Default Re: Alternative IQ distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
IQ/Per/Will as separate Attributes would be a good way to go. So would IQ/Will/some word for social intelligence.
If I really wanted to split the IQ stat in sub-attributes, that is what I would do.

First, because it is what do most other role playing games. And if they almost all do that, there must be a good reason*.

Second, because the split IQ/Will/Per was an optional rule in GURPS 3rd edition Compendium I, if I remember well (I don't have the book at hand, so don't hesitate to correct that statement).

_____

* Note that in role playing game, good reason doesn't necessarily mean realistic reason. A good rule is first of all a rule that is easy to use and give interesting results. The split logic/intuition, for instance, may sound interesting, theoretically. But it cause problems during the game. What about Diplomacy? Computer using? Engineering? A lot of mental skills require both, as showed above by Kdtipa.

Last edited by Gollum; 02-23-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attribute, attributes, intelligence, intuition, logic