Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
Azrael

Default Re: Leeching multiple targets as a free action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_gudman View Post
Leech-a-zone n (Malediction + 100%, Aura + 80%, Area Effect (4 yards) + 100%) [95 + 16 (n-1)]
Adding Malediction to Leech also requires Ranged +40%
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #22
daniel_gudman

But ranged attacks need to take (-25% Melee Range C -5% Can't Parry) with Aura...

Since Leech is already range C and can't grapple, my thinking was, it's more straightforward not to change the range at all.
daniel_gudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #23
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
When you've got a whole bunch of tied up people and can lie down on them, you have no need to heal faster because you've plenty of time.
True, but it just occurred to me that a large creature could tie up a bunch of small creatures and hang them about their person. This would allow you to leech all of them at once and have quite an extended HP pool.

Quote:
Leech-a-zone n (Malediction + 100%, Aura + 80%, Area Effect (4 yards) + 100%) [95 + 16 (n-1)]

Everyone within 4 yards of you rolls a quick contest against you (your Will vs their HT) every round. You drain (n) HP from each loser; you heal 1/3 the HP you drain.
Although this might allow you to drain multiple people near by, it doesn't answer the question of if you can drain two or more people that you're in contact with with an unmodified leech - which is what I want an answer to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You have to do something else while leeching someone if they aren't restrained. You have to grapple them.
Yes, if they're unable to move away you don't need to grapple, but it does infer that even in this case prolonged contact is required - so I'd find it hard to justify some actions whilst leeching. Of cause you can leech a horse whilst riding it, and shoot a bow at the same time, allowing you to heal, move and attack. Of cause the horse would be injured/drained of stats, and no doubt would suffer shock penalties and unless they're a minion would generally complain - but it's achievable in theory (even if you have to grapple the horse with your legs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
I'd say yes. It just says contact. You don't even have to have them grappled as long as they are defenseless or immobile. Have your ghoul minions tie your leech targets up in a strange configuration where they are roped up and have their bare feet sticking out all towards you the leecher and just sprawl out, draining all of them simultaneously... Muhahahahahaah.
Could be handy in a pinch, although I doubt if you have the ghoul power to do that you need such hasty recharging - perhaps you're just casting very high FP spells and wish to "reload" your FP very quickly between spells though...
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #24
PseudoFenton

In general though I think the group consensus is that Leech is a follow up to a grapple, unless a grapple isn't needed due to their immobility - in which case it's easy to state that a grapple (of sorts) is still needed, just that its an automatic success.

There seems to be a strong dislike for allowing multiple leechings at the same time, although with little rules to back it up. So if we go forth with the above mechanic for establishing a leech 'attack' it seems fair to limit it in the same way grapples are limited.

As far as I'm aware you can "worry" every second after the first when grappling with your mouth, this seems to work very similarly to leech (one turn to grapple, every following it triggers), and iirc nothing forbids you from worrying with multiple mouth grapples (should you have multiple mouths). In the same vain it would suggest that multiple grappled victims could all be leeched with the follow up without need of any additional attacks per round (although might need appropriate anatomy to be able to actually grapple several victims at once).

With this ruling you could also exclude some forms of contact as triggering leech, so you couldn't just cover yourself in bound imps and drain them as you see fit - you would have to grab them (performing an automatic grapple) and then drain them, although on your second turn you could grab a second imp to drain two at once (unless you had an odd form of fast draw I guess).

This would still let you handshake to leech out of combat (grappling a hand) and even kiss to leech (technically a form of bite grapple?), but prevents you leeching someone by only slightly leaning on someone or touching knees whilst sitting down etc... which I'd consider a fair evaluation of the rules as stipulated anyway.

I think I might go with this ruling, although I'm currently away from my books so I'll have to look up the subtle points of grappling again just to confirm that the above all works as I remember it working.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #25
bcd

So, if someone grapples you, pins you and then starts to carry you away – can you Leech them while you're being carried?
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #26
Azrael

Quote:
But ranged attacks need to take (-25% Melee Range C -5% Can't Parry) with Aura...

Since Leech is already range C and can't grapple, my thinking was, it's more straightforward not to change the range at all.
OK. I see what you did there. Leech is one confusing advantage.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #27
Jerander

Quote:

Everyone within 4 yards of you rolls a quick contest against you (your Will vs their HT) every round. You drain (n) HP from each loser; you heal 1/3 the HP you drain.

Consider "-40% always on" if you want to play the "X-man cursed with awesome" thing, or "+25% efficient" to heal at the same rate you drain, or "+20% selective area" if you want to use your power without the rest of the party hating you for it.
As it was explained to me in another thread, Area Effect is a suitable replacement for Ranged when dealing with Leech (as you've done above).

I do wonder why you went with Aura instead of Emanation, though. What is the difference (other than the price)?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #28
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
I do wonder why you went with Aura instead of Emanation, though. What is the difference (other than the price)?
Switchable vs. Burst.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #29
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Switchable vs. Burst.
Thank you. Could you elaborate?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
So, if someone grapples you, pins you and then starts to carry you away – can you Leech them while you're being carried?
That would depend on which body part you Leech with.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area effect, aura, leech