Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Jerander

Default Re: Leeching multiple targets as a free action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Why compartmentalized mind? Leech isn't that good and it doesn't require concentration.
So you can do something else while you're leeching someone? That seems strange to me.

If that's the case, what would the limitation value be for needing concentration?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
So you can do something else while you're leeching someone? That seems strange to me.
You have to do something else while leeching someone if they aren't restrained. You have to grapple them.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Jerander

Quote:
You have to do something else while leeching someone if they aren't restrained. You have to grapple them.
Can you grapple more than one person at a time?

I guess what I'm responding to is the idea of tying a bunch of people up, lying them all near each other, then lying on top of them to drain them all simulatenously. That seems strange to me. Other abilities only allow you to use once at time (barring multilpe copies, multiple attacks, and/or appropriate enhancements, etc.). Why would Leech be different?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Can you grapple more than one person at a time?

I guess what I'm responding to is the idea of tying a bunch of people up, lying them all near each other, then lying on top of them to drain them all simulatenously.
Why would anyone want to do that? But that's beside the point. I was just talking about the lack of need for Compartmentalized Mind. If Concentration was needed to use Leech, then you wouldn't be abled to use it on anyone who hadn't been restrained.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Jerander

Quote:
Why would anyone want to do that?
Why would anyone want to do what? Grapple more than one person at a time? Bind up a bunch of victims and drain them all simulatenously? Heal faster, I'd guess. And I know plenty of people who would try it.

Quote:
But that's beside the point. I was just talking about the lack of need for Compartmentalized Mind. If Concentration was needed to use Leech, then you wouldn't be abled to use it on anyone who hadn't been restrained.
Compartmentalized Mind would be so you could use your two copies of Leech simulataneously.

My point is I don't understand why someone would get to use Leech twice (or many times) when other abilities only get to be used once as a default.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
David Johnston2

Quote:
]Why would anyone want to do what? Grapple more than one person at a time? Bind up a bunch of victims and drain them all simulatenously? Heal faster, I'd guess.
When you've got a whole bunch of tied up people and can lie down on them, you have no need to heal faster because you've plenty of time.

Quote:
Compartmentalized Mind would be so you could use your two copies of Leech simulataneously.
If you needed Compartmentalized Mind to do that, then you wouldn't be able to simultaneously grapple and Leech.

Quote:
My point is I don't understand why someone would get to use Leech twice (or many times) when other abilities only get to be used once as a default.
My point is you don't need CM to do that. Extra Attack at most. Note however that you could use any IA bought as a melee attack linked to you punches just by taking two punches.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Jerander

Quote:
When you've got a whole bunch of tied up people and can lie down on them, you have no need to heal faster because you've plenty of time.
Depends on the situation.

Quote:
If you needed Compartmentalized Mind to do that, then you wouldn't be able to simultaneously grapple and Leech.
Okay.

Quote:
My point is you don't need CM to do that. Extra Attack at most. Note however that you could use any IA bought as a melee attack linked to you punches just by taking two punches.
Really? Okay. Obviously I need to do a little reading. Can you point me at some page numbers?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
David Johnston2

Quote:

Really? Okay. Obviously I need to do a little reading. Can you point me at some page numbers?
Well I don't recall anything saying that you can't do all-out-attacks with your melee Innate Attacks.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
If that's the case, what would the limitation value be for needing concentration?
Use the value of Requires Concentrate?

(I think Leech is underpowered.)
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
daniel_gudman

Leech-a-zone n (Malediction + 100%, Aura + 80%, Area Effect (4 yards) + 100%) [95 + 16 (n-1)]

Everyone within 4 yards of you rolls a quick contest against you (your Will vs their HT) every round. You drain (n) HP from each loser; you heal 1/3 the HP you drain.

Consider "-40% always on" if you want to play the "X-man cursed with awesome" thing, or "+25% efficient" to heal at the same rate you drain, or "+20% selective area" if you want to use your power without the rest of the party hating you for it.

Last edited by daniel_gudman; 09-19-2012 at 06:36 PM.
daniel_gudman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area effect, aura, leech