Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #51
Plane

Default Re: can Jumper (Tunnel) cause harm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Taking Carrying Capacity on Warp with Tunnel means you can toss more stuff through at a time basically. See this Kromm post.
Is this referring to "plus Extra Carrying Capacity, Extra-Heavy (+50%), if he
and his companions can bring along anything they can lift" from Powers 88's Gate do you think?

One thing I didn't think about Tunnel and capacity...

When it comes to classic non-tunnel Warp, presumably if you are carrying stuff beyond your weight limit and activate Warp then whatever is beyond your limit (not sure if you can specify?) is left behind when you teleport...

But what happens if you're carrying a bunch of stuff and do Warp (Tunnel) ? Does your stuff also fall to the ground?

What if people follow through you in your Tunnel: Naked is pretty straight forward (anyone who follows through your tunnel drops ALL gear, I guess?) but unmodified you get anything that counts as "No Encumbrance"...

But if you're carrying more than No Encumbrance, what is the result?

1) the person walking through gets to mentally specify which gear they bring and which is abandoned
2) the person who made the Warp Tunnel gets to specify
3) they can't move through the Tunnel until they drop enough of their gear
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #52
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Thanks Chris. I was looking all over for a post or quote from Kromm or PK and somehow that one eluded me :( I must have missed that thread at the time, 'coz it's the kind of subject that would usually invite my participation.
No worries.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #53
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
My inclination would be to shift in the direction that contains more of the creature/object's mass. If you stick your head through a portal and it closes, you get pushed back; if you're walking through and half your leg is still in the original location when it closes, you get pulled through. If it's undetermined which side has more mass, or if they're equal, roll for it.
I've been GMing/playing Jumper (World) and variations for a long time. That's how I do it.

Using it to cut someone in half could be a possible enhancement, but I think it would be difficult to come up with a workable price for that. This character/creature has 10 hit points and this other has 50--how much does it cost to cut them in half?
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:55 PM   #54
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
I've been GMing/playing Jumper (World) and variations for a long time. That's how I do it.

Using it to cut someone in half could be a possible enhancement, but I think it would be difficult to come up with a workable price for that. This character/creature has 10 hit points and this other has 50--how much does it cost to cut them in half?
Another perspective I just thought of is that while the portal is open, if you are able to simultaneously exist in two places at once, isn't that in a way sort of like Independent Body Parts except both ends are Sessile while that's in effect?
Old 08-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #55
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Another perspective I just thought of is that while the portal is open, if you are able to simultaneously exist in two places at once, isn't that in a way sort of like Independent Body Parts except both ends are Sessile while that's in effect?
I suppose one could view it that way. I tend to think of it as I would a physical portal/gate/doorway. I can stand with one foot on one side of a gate with my other foot on the other side of the gate. During that moment, I'm on both sides of the gate. If the gate closes, if I stepped through in time I'm on the other side of the gate. If I didn't, I'm on the one side of the gate where I started.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #56
David Johnston2

Quote:

I would actually limit the damage to limbs or tails because I wouldn't want it to be an instakill.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #57
Plane

Quote:
I tend to think of it as I would a physical portal/gate/doorway.
I can stand with one foot on one side of a gate with my other foot on the other side of the gate.
During that moment, I'm on both sides of the gate.
If the gate closes, if I stepped through in time
I'm on the other side of the gate.
If I didn't, I'm on the one side of the gate where I started.
Now I'm wondering about the whole "open a portal and just stick your hand through to punch someone and then retract it" idea.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that in some superhero/anime stuff.

I know we're usually encouraged to use stuff like "Alternate Abilities" or "Using Abilities at Default" to give new attack options but mechanically I'm not sure I understand what's prevent Warp (Tunnel) from doing this in raw form if you're allowed to actually be partway through.

Seems like only an "all or nothing" (touch the "tunnel", and port from end to the other) would prevent this.

Even then, it seems like there's possible still exploits you might do, like open a Tunnel and then fire a gun through it. Could they even fire back (2 way tunnel) or is it basically like a 1-way potshot because of tunnels being 1-way transports?

To neutralize this bullet trick maybe you'd need some rule like velocity = zero after a Warp?

Without Tunnel it would be very tricky to do a warping bullet since to target a bullet with Affliction would have a horribly large Size/Speed penalty, and I don't even know how you'd time it properly (I guess maybe Triggered Delay: once fired?)

Tags
create gate, hyperjump, jumper, tunnel, warp